LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Which rack and Pinion to go with???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 11:05 AM
enigma94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which rack and Pinion to go with???

Hey all, Im looking to replace my rack and pinion as mine is starting to leak and i've checked all around locally and there is only one place that rebuilds them but my mechanic has had issues with their work on 2-3 other racks so im looking to go a whole different route. I found a few on Rockauto.com so im wondering if any body had used or has had experience with either A-1 CARDONE rack or BECK/ARNLEY rack. The A-1 Cardone is $441.79 with a $200 core (so $241 after the core) and the Beck.arnley is $678.79 with a $211 core (so $467 after the core)

The Beck/Arnley says it has a 36 month/50,000 mile warranty where as the A-1 doesnt say anything about a warranty. At this point im not too worried about the price difference I just want to make sure I dont have to replace the thing in 6 months. That being said I would also love the save the $150 if the A-1 rack isnt a garbage remaned rack. I also need to call rockauto and figure out how the core system works as im sure shipping on a rack and pinion cant be cheap so that may cut into the core pricing.

Anybody with experience with either company/rack chime in please! Or if there is another alternative company out there that I've missed let me know!

The car is 98 btw.

TIA
Old 09-29-11, 12:32 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

B/A is a reboxed unit just to let u know...they dont make anything. i went with a rebuilt maval unit
http://www.lexpartsonline.com/search...3732+1656+5882
it had a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty..its been 5 years and it hasnt let me down yet..i also replaced the pump, and hoses..set me back a little cash but just like any of my systems,whether its a/c, brakes or whatever.. do it right do it once and u dont have to worry about it
Old 09-29-11, 05:12 PM
enigma94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by python
B/A is a reboxed unit just to let u know...they dont make anything. i went with a rebuilt maval unit
http://www.lexpartsonline.com/search...3732+1656+5882
it had a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty..its been 5 years and it hasnt let me down yet..i also replaced the pump, and hoses..set me back a little cash but just like any of my systems,whether its a/c, brakes or whatever.. do it right do it once and u dont have to worry about it
reboxed as in rebuilt or??

I checked the site above and they don't even have a rack and pinion for a 98, the link you posted was for a 92.
Old 09-29-11, 05:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i would just get my own unit rebuilt...
Old 09-29-11, 07:22 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
probably the best solution if u can find a reputible company to do it. i dont think theres much to rebuilding them as they only have seals and o-rings..either way good luck..btw i meant reboxed..beck arnley is all reboxed products..meaning someone elses stuff in their box
Old 09-30-11, 12:34 AM
enigma94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
This was my first choose but the only local place that does them has had some issues on prior racks that had to be warrantied within the first few weeks and I really don't want to have to deal with that if I can avoid it by buying another rack from a reputable company, hense the original post.

Python, gotcha so it's basically a mor pricy remand rack that they put their own label on...anybody have any experience/ thoughts on the A-1 cardone rack??
Old 10-02-11, 06:01 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

sounds like a winner to me:
A-1 CARDONE
Whether your vehicle has been prowling the streets since the 1960s or just rolled off the dealer’s lot, A-1 Cardone is your source for remanufactured replacement parts! Through reverse engineering, A-1 Cardone is able to pinpoint original equipment design weaknesses and deliver the highest quality remanufactured parts available. Only A-1 Cardone offers the most advanced engineering and remanufacturing processes, 100% replacement of critical rubber wear components, computerized testing for quality and reliability, and the industry’s best warranties. It’s a formula that’s made A-1 Cardone the leader in remanufactured replacement parts for the past 40 years.
Old 10-05-11, 12:43 AM
enigma94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
sounds like a winner to me:
A-1 CARDONE
Whether your vehicle has been prowling the streets since the 1960s or just rolled off the dealer’s lot, A-1 Cardone is your source for remanufactured replacement parts! Through reverse engineering, A-1 Cardone is able to pinpoint original equipment design weaknesses and deliver the highest quality remanufactured parts available. Only A-1 Cardone offers the most advanced engineering and remanufacturing processes, 100% replacement of critical rubber wear components, computerized testing for quality and reliability, and the industry’s best warranties. It’s a formula that’s made A-1 Cardone the leader in remanufactured replacement parts for the past 40 years.
I think i'm going to give this one a shot and see how it works out. I've decided to do all the bushings in the front end as well at the same time so i'm still trying to read up on everything ill need and source all the bushings before I go ahead and order the rack but i'll definitely update everybody as to how the rack works out. I'm still baffled that for such a common issue that there isn't a bigger market out there for quality replacement racks, but as i'm finding out there isn't much of a market for much when it comes to the LS400 which sucks because its becoming one of my most favorite cars out of all the ones i've owned.
Old 10-05-11, 06:38 AM
python
Lexus Champion

napa sells cardone btw
Old 10-10-11, 12:53 AM
enigma94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by python
napa sells cardone btw
I called my local NAPA shop and they said they do not carry any rack and pinion sets for a 98 LS. Maybe location specific??
Old 10-10-11, 06:31 AM
Acidic
Driver

I put one in my old 91 LS400 from this company:

http://www.carsteering.com/steeringm...ring_Rack.html

They send you a return label for your core. They shipped fast and the part was high quality from what I could tell. I researched them at the time and they had good reviews... Just thought I would give you another option.