LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Beatsonic 98 LS400 with factory navigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 09:07 PM
WINEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beatsonic 98 LS400 with factory navigation

OK, I've been reading the forum on the topic, and I know that if I have factory navigation that I have to convert to a non-factory HVAC unit if I want to replace the factory navigation/stereo and 6 disc CD player unit with something a little less ancient.

I also know that the Beatsonic kits, though a bit pricey look nice and allow me to retain the factory subwoofer and wiring.

That's worth the price to me.

But when I look at www.beatsonicusa.com , I see that there are options for my car with without navigation and with premium sound ( SL-22A ), and for my car without factory navigation ( SLA-21AFB ).

Obviously taking out my factory navigation and installing a non-NAV HVAC controller will make my car a non-navigation unit.

But which one do I buy? The SL-22A? Or the SL-21AFB?

Also, for people who have purchased the Beatsonic kits, do the wood grain kits match well with the factory burl wood?
Old 09-24-11, 05:46 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Judging by the photos and descriptions, it would appear that the SL-21AFB includes only the double DIN surround and brackets. The SLA-22 includes those parts plus the harness for installing an aftermarket unit without cutting off the OEM headunit connectors.

Probably the reason for the SL-21AFB description is that it can be used to replace a Nakamichi headunit although all the wiring would have to be done by cutting an splicing since there are no conversion harnesses available for Nakamichi. The SL-21AFB could also be used to replace a standard (premium sound) system but more cutting and splicing would be required since it doesn't have the harness that the more expensive SLA-22 has.
Old 10-06-11, 12:13 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the same problem when i bought mine for my 98 ls with nakamichi .
You need to buy just the faceplate and a hvac.
The wiring kit will not match so the amp will not work as it is only for 95-97 pioneer /premium systems.
What i did was use my schematic and run new wires from my new deck to power the factory wiring under the seat going to the oem speakers and my amp in the trunk.
No idea on the wood grain as i didn't get or want it as it will never match .
Well worth it but the finish is slightly off as the LS has painted finish plastics with a slight silver metallic in it .
Also the edges are off unless you break 2 tabs on the hvac to make it sit lower and be flush with the faceplate.It then moves the gap to above the hvac which is much less noticeable
I am guessing they took dimensions from a 95-97 and most people were jut glad to have one so they never looked carefully . (not me ) .
also the screws it comes with are way too big to be used , so get some from a stereo shop to fit flush without them shorting out the inside of your new deck.

Last edited by skperformance; 10-06-11 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 09:16 AM
rishi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey SKUPerformance...

i have a 98 with nakamachi sound also... i wanted to install a double din pioneer navi head unit with the beat sonic however after reading through the forum i cam to realize that you couldnt cause the harness are wong, and if i wanted to i would have to run wires to each and every speaker throughout the car, i can work with things under the hood and around it however when it comes to stereo stuff im kinda medicore AT BEST...

can you enlighten me more about your install, cause seems we have the same set up..

thanks~!

Originally Posted by skperformance
Had the same problem when i bought mine for my 98 ls with nakamichi .
You need to buy just the faceplate and a hvac.
The wiring kit will not match so the amp will not work as it is only for 95-97 pioneer /premium systems.
What i did was use my schematic and run new wires from my new deck to power the factory wiring under the seat going to the oem speakers and my amp in the trunk.
No idea on the wood grain as i didn't get or want it as it will never match .
Well worth it but the finish is slightly off as the LS has painted finish plastics with a slight silver metallic in it .
Also the edges are off unless you break 2 tabs on the hvac to make it sit lower and be flush with the faceplate.It then moves the gap to above the hvac which is much less noticeable
I am guessing they took dimensions from a 95-97 and most people were jut glad to have one so they never looked carefully . (not me ) .
also the screws it comes with are way too big to be used , so get some from a stereo shop to fit flush without them shorting out the inside of your new deck.
Old 10-13-11, 03:07 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You connect speaker wires from your new deck and run them under the console to the factory amp location , then use a schematic to pair each left and right to the factory installed wiring to save running new wiring to each speaker instead..
Old 10-14-11, 07:10 AM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I did, hardwired everything. It's time consuming but it's way cheaper and will give you better results. Here's by build thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ic-my-***.html

My car wasn't a Nakamichi system but when you're doing it this way it doesn't matter in the end. The procedure is essentially the same.