ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   silverstars.. thumbs down! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/59193-silverstars-thumbs-down.html)

Lvangundy 09-26-02 11:33 PM

silverstars.. thumbs down!

I just picked up one silverstar (9004 ST) and I don't care much for it!

It's actually less brighter than the stock lights. Honestly! I'll take pics ASAP. I left one stock light to see the difference.

The purple tint I don't care for, I think I'll try to sell the bulb here on CL. Anyone interested? Paid $29 w/ tax. Sell for $20.00 Used for 3 hours. LOL..

Put that in my savings fund for 4100K HID!

kreativ 09-26-02 11:48 PM

I think people who say they're much brighter than OEM non-coated bulbs are simply deceived by the whiter light. Either that or they're comparing an old halogen bulb to a new Silverstar, rather than, say, a new Sylvania XtraVision to a Silverstar.
Take away the light-robbing blue coating and you've got a brighter light. So why in the world would a reputable manufacturer slap on a blue coating and dim the light output? Because there's a market for these kind of lights and they can charge a premium.

Wouldn't it be easier to return the lights to the store?

One thing you can do to improve light output is to replace the crappy 9004 headlight type with headlights from a '93LS. That was what an automotive lighting expert suggested to me.
The 9004 was made to make it easy to assemble, not for good light output. We're stuck with it, but you won't see these type headlights around anymore on newer cars.

Lvangundy 09-27-02 12:28 AM

Kragen doens't take returns on light bulbs.

!

Maybe someone around my area..

Lvangundy 09-27-02 12:48 AM

WAIT! pics..

WAIT!

OK,, I'm slightly changing my mind now!

turns out I can'treallytell any difference because the side I put the light on the housing was hit a while back from an anonymous driver and isn't straight. I went to a parking lot, took a couple pics and used a screwdriver to try and move the housing around to see what the light did.

As brendanlim pointed out, the spread is better compared to stock. The out put is *slightly* whiter, but not near the output or quality of HID's...

I'm still gunna wait and just buy a HID kit someday..anyone have one for sale? A McCoulough kit anyone??

kreativ 09-27-02 12:54 AM

Call up Jen of suvlights.com. He's in the LA area, used to work for McCulloch in the division that made the HID kits. If you're serious about buying, he'll even put in a kit for you to see if you like it or not. I assume that means free installation. :D
Off his web site: Tel: (626) 967-3139 Our office hours: Mon. - Fri (10 A.M. - 6 P.M.) Pacific Standard Time

Lvangundy 09-27-02 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
pic one..

Lvangundy 09-27-02 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
pic 2

meZoom! 09-27-02 02:13 AM

Re: WAIT! pics..

Originally posted by Lvangundy
the light on the housing was hit a while back from an anonymous driver and isn't straight.
anonymous driver, ay?? :D the silverstars dont look that bad...compared to the output of those really cheap blue bulbs. it's actually kinda white.