LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Finally got around to replacing the Coolant Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 08:12 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, the traction control does work. When it was wet, and the TC was on, if I floored it, the wheel would start to spin, and then the TRAC light would start flashing and it would cut the power and stop spinning. With it off...... ......it would go sideways real quick.
Old 09-07-11, 06:19 PM
NisMax
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could find where its at on my '98
Old 09-09-11, 08:48 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I had a thought. That part of the plastic intake that goes from the battery to the air filter seems really restrictive to me. If I removed that part, would it affect mileage? I'm conflicted about it because while you wouldn't be channeling in air directly from outside, but you wouldn't be as throttled either....
Old 09-09-11, 09:18 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by NisMax
I wish I could find where its at on my '98
right here:
Attached Thumbnails Finally got around to replacing the Coolant Temp Sensor-ect.jpg  
Old 09-09-11, 09:22 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't know if it would help with any mileage but the bad thing of doing that is you'll be sucking in hotter air b/c more would be coming from the engine bay area. And also you'll have a better chance of the hood insulation getting sucked down and just blocking off any air coming in. That's happened with a couple CL members and it took them forever to figure out why thier car was running like crap, unless the hood was open. I wouldn't change it, not from there anyway. Even cutting an opening in the filter "box" and using a K&N you're still getting hot air in. I would leave it alone. But, if you wanted to try it, it wont cost you anything. Free is the best.
Old 09-10-11, 07:04 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to change my spark plugs today and see what happens. I'll try and get a picture of a new and old plug next to each other for comparison. Hopefully this helps, or i'm going to be kicking myself for spending $40 while i'm still looking for a job.
Old 09-10-11, 03:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Well, it's been a long day. Got everything taken apart, put the new plugs in and fired her up. Started missing and wouldn't go over 2,000 rpm. Started diagnosing and found out that there was a hole in the head on the wire for the driver's side coil. It was arcing with the line from the coolant overflow. A new set of spark plug wires later, it runs like a charm. We'll have to see how it runs now. The old plugs were looking pretty bad.
Old 09-10-11, 03:29 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Damn, that must have scared the hell out of ya. That wire probably split like that b/c of how many times you pulled it off and put it on recently. Eh, now ya have new wires so they should last ya for a while, one less thing to worry about. Glad ya figured it out and it wasn't anything worse.
Old 09-10-11, 07:59 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

The thing is, I've never pulled off that coil wire. I hate those plastic clips on the wire where it connects to the coil. So brittle. At least I know the plugs and wires are all new. The plugs were autolite(budget restrictions, or i would have gone NGK). Cost me 37.80 total for the plugs. Wires are the only thing available in short notice on a Saturday afternoon, Prestolite. I don't know anything about them, but I had to pay $100. No other choice. I had to GTFO this afternoon and couldn't get anything elsewhere(other than ebay, but would have been waiting a few days, out of the question).
Old 09-21-11, 06:11 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Had my first city only fillup. Put in 6.563 and travelled 85.6 miles, giving me an average of 13 mpg. My previous city fillup had netted me 11.9 mpg. I don't know if the improvement is because of driving style or the spark plugs + wires.

I'm going to run this tank down to the 1/4 tank mark so that I get a more accurate reading. It'll probably take a couple of weeks though, since i'm trying to cut back severely on driving. I'm also going to start filling up at better gas stations. I've been going cheap and filling up at Maverick since I moved here for school. When I was still at home, I filled up at our local Silver Eagle where I worked, and i've since heard a lot of people complain about their fuel. I usually let price drive my fill-up. I'm going to start trying Shell or Chevron.

I noticed that my mom's 91 LS has 205/65/15's where mine has 215/65/15's. The size difference is noticeable to the eye. I wonder if this is the reason her car gets better mileage than mine does. It could be that the bigger tires cause more drag and cause my fuel mileage to go down. Or...I could possibly be getting better mileage and just not be seeing it because the speedometer could be off. Who knows.... Regardless, these tires still have a lot of tread left on them, so it'll be a while before I replace them.

One last thing, I've run seafoam through the crankcase and the fuel tank. I have not yet sucked it through a vacuum line on this car. I am curious which vacuum lines you guys put it through. Would one of the 3 lines on top of the throttle body be fine?
Old 09-21-11, 06:56 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

i did the seafoam and used the brake vacumme line???? i just poured it in real slow. ill probly do it again in a few weeks or a month and have someome step on gas when i do it so i can pour in more at a time. but it did make a difference. only had my ls for 3 days though.

where is this sensor you are talking about in the thread on a 93??? anyone have a picture i would like to see if mine looks ok. thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-11, 07:04 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Should be in the same spot as a 92.
Old 09-21-11, 07:26 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

ok where is it on a 92 LOL and this is the one that send temps to the ECU right?

im going to clean this tomorrow.

http://www.lextreme.com/pcv.html this might also help with your gas milage.

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-21-11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 07:57 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SkulCracka
i did the seafoam and used the brake vacumme line???? i just poured it in real slow. ill probly do it again in a few weeks or a month and have someome step on gas when i do it so i can pour in more at a time. but it did make a difference. only had my ls for 3 days though.

where is this sensor you are talking about in the thread on a 93??? anyone have a picture i would like to see if mine looks ok. thanks in advance.
there is a diagram up above
Old 09-21-11, 08:01 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

sorry thought that was for a different year.

Quick Reply: Finally got around to replacing the Coolant Temp Sensor