LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 LS400 were can I get knock sensor wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 09:05 AM
jd04401
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 LS400 were can I get knock sensor wires

I have a 92' LS 400 with a cel code 52, and a trac code 51, I cleare the codes and diagnosed myself. I then brought the car to my local Toyota dealership to have them diagnose, they said the car needed a TPS to fix the problem. Im not so sure about this diagnosis, and questioned it, they said they were sure, so I scheduled it for this Thursday, they quoted me $260.00 for the job. This is cheaper then a knock sensor repair, but I am very hesitant to whether or not this will solve the issue. So.... none the less I am preparing for the knock sensor repair in case this does not resolve it.... if it does need knock sensors I will be bringing the vehicle to a local mechanic I want to be sure to have the correct parts needed, ie knock sensors and the wires, as I have read the many posts on here regarding this issue. I have seen posts stating Sewall Lexus supplies the knock sesor wires, I called there and many other Lexus dealers, and all have said the only thing they have listed would be the ENTIRE wiring harness...... so my question after my long babble session (sorry) is could someone provide me info on the best deal on the best quality knock sensors and were to get these connectors for the knock sensors, maybe a part # and a contact name, it would be a huge help. I will also post the findings on my appointment at Toyota regarding the TPS repair.

Also are there any thoughts towards a TPS diagnosis for this, again the only codes I found was a CEL code 52 and a TRAC code 51, I would think I would have found a TPS code if it was faulty?
Old 07-13-11, 08:20 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

the dealer..get the oem sensors from the dealer as well,replace the starter while ur at it with a denso starter...if u dont u will regret it
Old 07-13-11, 08:39 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I think I read the same post you did that said Sewell would have it. You're doing good on the searching part. But, if you're just looking for the connecters they wont have just those, that would be a junkyard item. I needed some connecters for my coils, and others, and every dealer I talked to said they can't order the connecters, just the whole harness.
Old 07-13-11, 10:31 AM
jd04401
Driver School Candidate

Yeah thats what I thought deanshark, im more then likely jumping the gun, but trying to be prepared, I purchased another LS400 a 93' off from ebay, I think im a glutten for punishment, lol, its a 93' with 137k I was told it has the dashlight issue, but mechanically 100% we will see, ive read up about the lexpert on ebay that does the dash repair for $225.00, anyways wondering way off topic, my appointment for the tps is tomorrow at 2:00 as soon as im out of there I will post all results.
Old 07-13-11, 02:59 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can solder and follow a tutorial you can fix the blinky dash fault yourself for less than $5.00!
Old 07-14-11, 07:25 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deanshark
But, if you're just looking for the connecters they wont have just those, that would be a junkyard item.
WRONG! you cant order the coil connectors because it is part of the harness..u can however get the knock sensor connectors from the dealer..which i have done! i gave u the information u need..please know this..i have done this job,twice because my stupid azz didnt do what im telling u to do and the knock sensors went out after i replaced the starter. so,once again u will either take my advice or not..its ur choice but ive already made that mistake and i hate to see others make the same one
Old 07-14-11, 07:47 AM
jd04401
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a part # for these, when I called the dealer, they stated, all we show is the actual knock sensors, and the "complete" engine wiring harness, but they did say if I could get a part # they would be happy to look it up. I do want to be sure this job is done thoroughly so not to have to tear the intake back off, if this indeed needs to be done (still waiting on results of my 2:00 appointment at Toyota). But so far no one has an actual part number, and the dealer shows no knowledge of this part, and I have tried all Lexus dealers in the New England area, and the mentioned Sewell Lexus I read of in another thread. Sewell Lexus did state that in some models you can get connectors to splice into the harness, but for the 92' all that is available is the complete engine harness.
Old 07-14-11, 07:54 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by python
WRONG! you cant order the coil connectors because it is part of the harness..u can however get the knock sensor connectors from the dealer..which i have done! i gave u the information u need..please know this..i have done this job,twice because my stupid azz didnt do what im telling u to do and the knock sensors went out after i replaced the starter. so,once again u will either take my advice or not..its ur choice but ive already made that mistake and i hate to see others make the same one
Maybe I'm wrong, I'm just talking my experience. You say you gave the information, am I not seeing it? All I see is you said get it from the dealer. The OP already called Sewell and other dealers who all said it's not available. I even looked it up on some dealers' web sites and I can't find anything. Maybe you can say which dealer, or if you have some old paperwork that would show a part number, that would help this person out alot if the knock sensors, and wires, actually need to be changed. As for the starter, if they are in there, I think just changing the contacts and plunger is the better and cheaper way to go instead of putting in a new starter.
Seeing how you have a 92 also, that part number would be perfect.
Old 07-14-11, 08:05 AM
python
Lexus Champion

82219-50010 is the part number for the knock sensor connectors...DO NOT CHANGE THE KNOCK SENSORS WITHOUT CHANGING THE CONNECTORS! what u do with the starter is up to u..the job is involved so i would take care of everything while ur already there
http://www.lexuspartseast.com/parts/...re-sensor.html
the dealer in san rafael california just gave me the number and said it had to be ordered...if he was able to get the number why couldnt the dealer u contacted do the same? weird..anyways there it is laid out for u, good luck
Old 07-14-11, 08:29 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

That will help alot, I'm sure the OP will thank you. I'm keeping that site in the favorites. I put that number into Sewell's site and nothing comes up. It is weird that this place can get it but the main dealers in the country can't.
Old 07-14-11, 08:35 AM
python
Lexus Champion

o well....
Old 07-14-11, 08:50 AM
jd04401
Driver School Candidate

That is great, thanks alot for the information. Ill post all of my info when I return home today from Toyota, hoping there diagnosis is correct of the TPS, still have my doubts, but feel more prepared for the knock sensors now.
Old 07-14-11, 01:34 PM
jd04401
Driver School Candidate

Well, just got back from the appointment at Toyota, and as I figured the TPS did not solve the problem, they of course said they would zero out the bill and work with me on the labor and parts to do the knock sensors, so I left the car there and im letting them finish the job, they will be using all OEM parts, im just trying to guestimate what the job would cost typically at there labor rate of $100.00 per hr,im pretty sure they use ALL DATA to estimate there jobs, then see what they throw at me for a bill to be sure they did in fact work with me. I dont assume the car will be ready until possibly Tuesday, so I will post any news I recieve, and would be curious on any input anyone has in the meanwhile.
Old 07-14-11, 01:49 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Sorry to hear it didn't fix it, I was pullin for ya. At least they zeroed it out b/c they were wrong. That might be the only good news. I'm not sure how many hours labor it would be for the sensors but someone will. I just wanted to suggest that maybe you should ask for your old parts back, (Knock sensors and whatever) so you know that they actually did change them, and you can test them to see if they were really bad. Also, think about the starter contacts and plunger.
Old 07-14-11, 02:15 PM
python
Lexus Champion

call them and tell them to replace the connectors...what about the starter?

Quick Reply: 92 LS400 were can I get knock sensor wires