LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1992 ls400 ... 3 minor probs, 1 strange prob.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 08:02 PM
DJRATEDR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 ls400 ... 3 minor probs, 1 strange prob.

just purchased a '92 lex last week from the auction in prctically mint condition. so far i have no complaints. it has a few flaws, but that's to be expected for a 19y/o car. 1) the up/down gear just stripped on the steering wheel (not sure how costly that will be, but not a major concern?), 2) the car idles high when you first start it up (strange being as though it's 90 degrees outside ... car shouldn't have to warm up), 3) i have an a/c leak (i've heard could be a bit pricey), and last but not least the oddest problem ... when i accelerate to WOT mostly all of my dash lights come on (battery, brake, radiator, oil, and at night the headlight get super bright, blower blows harder. it's like i get a power surge through the alternator or something? any ideas what that could be??? dumb question ... i cannot find in the owners manual how to set the power seat memory.

thanks,
reg

Last edited by DJRATEDR; 07-08-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 09:24 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

the oddeat problem part......sounds like the alternator.

the memory seats.....open door, put seat into desired position. turn key to "on" position. press and hold "set" while holding set, press position 1 or 2, you will hear a long beep.
done
Old 07-07-11, 11:13 PM
Imperium11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

odd problem sounds like alternator, or maybe a weak battery, how quick does it start

high idle on start sounds like its stuck in coldstart, might be an old ects giving a false positive
Old 07-08-11, 02:18 AM
LSproject
Driver School Candidate

Here's a solution for your tilt steering wheel.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ng-repair.html
Old 07-08-11, 02:35 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

first stop for all electrical issues.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html
Old 07-08-11, 05:50 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Definately sounds like alternator. You might not be able to see it too good but check if your power steering pump is leaking onto the alt. It's a very common problem and will kill the alt. The alt isn't putting out enough juice until you raise the RPMs, so it's not charging right. (check it to see if it's charging at idle) The idle, how high is it when you start it? Every engine needs to warm up. Normal idle is 650 RPMs but at start/warm up it should be about 1200 RPMs. (Even when it's 90*) Look into changing the ECT anyway, it's cheap, easy, and it helps alot with how the car runs. The A/C leak can get expensive or it could be something cheap. Where is it leaking from?
Welcome to CL and remember to use the search feature, you'll find an answer to almost every question ya have. This site, http://www.lexls.com/ will help with your 1st gen Lex, check out all the tutorials.
Old 07-08-11, 03:26 PM
DJRATEDR
Driver School Candidate

i was thinking the alternator too. anyone ever replace an alt. in these things? labor intensive???
Old 07-08-11, 03:27 PM
DJRATEDR
Driver School Candidate

it fires right up like a champ!
Old 07-08-11, 03:36 PM
DJRATEDR
Driver School Candidate

when i first start the car up it idles at about 1200 rpms like you said then after it warms up idles at about 700 rpms normally, i don't know where the a/c is leaking from. i just know i filled it up with freon and took a 6hr trip to va. beach for the wknd. 6hrs back, drove around all week and i got the blinking a/c light 2 days ago ... now no freon.
Old 07-08-11, 03:44 PM
DJRATEDR
Driver School Candidate

that's a fix to make the wheel go in and out. my up and down is messed up. my gear is stripped ... need to replace either the motor or gear if it comes off?
Old 07-08-11, 06:52 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Use the search feature at the top of the page for any problems you have and you'll get most any answer. There's a write-up on the alternator if ya look for it but it's not too bad at all. There's also a write-up on both the up and down and the in and out for the steering. It's better for you to search then us. You'll find what ya need.
Old 07-09-11, 01:35 AM
DJRATEDR
Driver School Candidate

okay thanks ... just a first-timer on here so i figured i post my probs up. i'm sure there are plenty of people on here with the same (except maybe the alternator/power surge issue). thanks for all your help guys ...

reg
Old 07-09-11, 03:11 PM
DJRATEDR
Driver School Candidate

my bad ... that was the fix for the up & down. guess i should investigate brfore i open my mouth. i had it open and was fooling with the teeth futher back in the wheel which also make the wheel go up & down. who knew the fix was THAT easy??? took me 15mins and a milk carton top - lol. $750 ha ...
Old 07-28-11, 08:00 AM
DJRATEDR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Imperium11
odd problem sounds like alternator, or maybe a weak battery, how quick does it start

high idle on start sounds like its stuck in coldstart, might be an old ects giving a false positive
went to adavance auto parts and asked for an ECT and they had no idea what i was talking about. would that be the equivalent of an EGR valve or something??? what exactly is an ECT?
Old 07-28-11, 10:22 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DJRATEDR
went to adavance auto parts and asked for an ECT and they had no idea what i was talking about. would that be the equivalent of an EGR valve or something??? what exactly is an ECT?
The ECT is Engine Coolant Temp sensor. This one from Advanced Auto for $16 is good enough, or you can waste your money on the Beck/Arnley for $42. Alot of people get the $20 one from Autozone. (including me) If the guy from Advanced didn't know what it was just by saying ECT then he should not be working with auto parts.
The ECT, which is the main sensor, sends a signal to the ECU for fuel delivery. You'll get better mileage also.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-3

Last edited by deanshark; 07-28-11 at 10:44 AM. Reason: forgot the link

Quick Reply: 1992 ls400 ... 3 minor probs, 1 strange prob.