LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 03:41 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake fluid

Is it good to bleed the brake fluid every two year?
Lexus service department here recommend change the brake fluid in th reservoir only. What do you think?
Old 09-15-02, 01:09 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does little good to just change the fluid in the resevoir.That brake fluid works the traction control and the brakes.The fluid absorbs water.In time that can lead to very expensive repairs.Drain every fitting for a good bit of time.As far as how often I cannott say.Michael
Old 09-15-02, 09:53 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran two bottles of fluid through the system when I recently changed my front pads (during the bleeding process).

I'll probably run another 2 bottles through when I change the rear pads soon.

Changing the fluid in the reservoir won't achieve much, most of the fluid is in the lines and calipers. However, if you insist, you can always change the reservoir fluid at home with a turkey baster, just don't get it too low where air can enter the system otherwise you'll have to bleed the master cylinder.
Old 09-17-02, 04:36 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Selewis

Would you mind to tell me how to bleed the brake system? My brake fluid get pretty dark now.
Old 09-17-02, 11:43 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
To bleed all 4 calipers, start at the farthest point from the MC (master cylinder) i.e. (1) rear pass side, then (2) rear driver's side, then (3) front pass. side, and finally (4) front driver's side.

Remove wheel/tire, secure vehicle with appropriate jackstand etc.

Attach a clear hose to the bleeder valve on the caliper, clear hose is avail at auto parts stores and home improvement stores....
bleeder hose should be long enough for the end to reach to bottom of suitable clear container, for example I typically use a 2 liter coke bottle. Use of clear hose is recommended to see brake fluid color and to view air bubbles as they escape.

Make sure MC is full, then have assistant pump brakes (engine off is fine). On the 4th or 5th 'pump' have them hold brake pedal to floor and then crack the bleeder valve (10mm wrench required)....brake fluid (and probably some air bubbles) will come out. Close/tighten bleed valve before assistant releases brake pedal. Repeat process until fluid begins to look clear and no more air bubbles come out. Be sure to top off MC frequently, And do NOT let the MC run dry....otherwise air will enter MC and that will need bleeding as well.

Running a bottle of quality brake fluid through each caliper ought to be enough to flush the entire brake system and remove all trapped air bubbles. Pedal should feel firmer when complete as well.

*Disclaimer*
If you are not comfortable working on your braking system, I highly recommend leaving this process to a trained professional. The directions above are strictly for instuctional purposes only.

Regards,