LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Ls400 Clicking plz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 11:20 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Ls400 Clicking plz help

first off I want to say hi i am new here, and yes i did search lol i recently got a 1st gen ls400 in a trade and ive had it for about two days and today all of the sudden i start hearing this loud clicking sound"gets louder the faster i drive", in my experence it sounds like a axle, but it coming from the front, so its not a axle lol.....its a really loud click i wanna say its coming from the passanger side but not postive, i took both front wheels off and did not find any trace of anything being loose or damaged and it clicks all the time but goes away a bit when i turn right....any input on this would b real nice thnx in advance
Old 06-24-11, 05:04 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

on one of my older LS's, the small plastic shroud around the fan blade was broken and had moved toward the fan blade, and was being hit by the blade. once I moved it, no clicking. I epoxied it back together.
hope this helps..

Old 06-24-11, 06:37 AM
Lesley1
Driver School Candidate

sounds like you picked up a nail in one of your tires maybe....
Old 06-24-11, 10:12 AM
filthyLS4
Driver

Originally Posted by billydpowe
on one of my older LS's, the small plastic shroud around the fan blade was broken and had moved toward the fan blade, and was being hit by the blade. once I moved it, no clicking. I epoxied it back together.
hope this helps..

im gonna check to see if it might be the fan but i doubt it because it only clicks when the car is in motion but i can always double check, thanks for the input
Old 06-24-11, 10:13 AM
filthyLS4
Driver

Originally Posted by Lesley1
sounds like you picked up a nail in one of your tires maybe....
this maybe whats wrong but there must be a damn big nail/screw in there lol because this thing clicks pretty violently lol,
Old 06-24-11, 10:17 AM
filthyLS4
Driver

actually come to think of it you can only hear it really loud from the inside not on the outside, like if it was somthing in my tire it would be heard from both inside and outside......dunno im stumped
Old 06-24-11, 11:13 AM
97CE LS400
Rookie

I had one of the tire balancing weight rub the caliper & click..jack up the front & leave the wheel on...but spin it 2 hear for any contact...just a thought :-)
Old 06-24-11, 01:26 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by filthyLS4
im gonna check to see if it might be the fan but i doubt it because it only clicks when the car is in motion but i can always double check, thanks for the input
you might also have bad motor mounts allowing your motor a little movement.

if so, put it in gear, hold the brake and give it a little gas (not a lot) you can tell if it moves
Old 06-24-11, 07:06 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

thanks for the input guys but ive tried everything that you mentioned...my car is really low, and i did kinda bump it on a speed bump a day ago could i have smacked the driveshaftand bent it?? or would it hit the exhaust first?
Old 06-24-11, 08:24 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the frequency? Is it one click per wheel revolution? Does it remain constant if you change gear but not speed?
Old 06-24-11, 09:28 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

Originally Posted by deanbrown3
What's the frequency? Is it one click per wheel revolution? Does it remain constant if you change gear but not speed?
its about one click per wheel revolution thats why i said it sounded loud like a axle but from the front..., i havent tried putting it in anything other than drive but i will check, im postive its from the front though because i can feel it through the steering wheel and as soon as i turn slightly turn right it goes away .... oh btw thanks for the help u guys not like before when i used to mess with hondas the ***** bags on honda tech would straight talk out there *** lol
Old 06-24-11, 09:37 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

You said it get louder the faster you drive... does it get faster as well? If it stays the same speed it's not on your tire... Maybe an A/C blower fan or something?
Old 06-24-11, 09:45 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

Originally Posted by mannye
You said it get louder the faster you drive... does it get faster as well? If it stays the same speed it's not on your tire... Maybe an A/C blower fan or something?
yes it get faster as well, just tried it in the other gears but no change its still the same...dunno its driving me crazy
Old 06-24-11, 09:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

wheel bearing or suspension issue, possibly a brake pad issue.
Old 06-24-11, 09:53 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
wheel bearing or suspension issue, possibly a brake pad issue.
thats what im thinking but ive never heard a wheel bearing knock, usually they squeak dont they? suspension ha my car is so low,pretty sure im riding on blown struts, i kno thats not good lol...but never knew a blown strut could cause a knock that knocks as frequent as the tire spins...im going to pull the brake pads off tommorrow and check for abnormal wear

Quick Reply: New Ls400 Clicking plz help