LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Check engine light & O/D off light --- Tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 04:50 PM
rob328
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Check engine light & O/D off light --- Tried everything

Hey everyone, I actually own a BMW e36 and e30, and I've done quite a bit of work on them (swapped/rebuilt engines, ect..)

One of my best friends has a 1994 LS400, and she called me saying the "Check engine light and O/D off light flash continuously" as she drives. So I google'd it, and found this page: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

Looked easy enough to figure out what the problem was, until I tried it. I am following the steps exactly how they are written. With the car in neutral, A/C off, I connect pins E1 and TE1 in the diagnostic port located under the dash on the driver side. Then I turn the key to "ON" and the check engine light and O/D off light just continue to flash indefinitely, with no pausing or pattern.

Also, I read up on here that code 42 is commonly thrown which will make both lights flash like this, so I purchased and actually replaced the front vehicle speed sensor on the bellhousing of the transmission and the rear one by the rear of the transmission with no luck. I also pulled the fuse for the EFI after I replaced the sensors. The lights continue to flash and will not give me a code..

Anyway, I came here for some help! I just want to fix this thing so my friend doesn't have to take it to the dealer and pay tons!

Thanks
Old 06-04-11, 05:09 PM
Privateer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it to a shop with a code reader, would be my first stop. I wasn't able to get those codes to work for me either, using those same directions. Without a reference point, there isn't any reason to spend money on parts. Good luck.
Old 06-04-11, 09:07 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E1 and TE1 will flash fast if there are no codes stored. If you have an overdrive light flashing while driving, there is a code issue. Connect E1 and TE2 to put it in test mode. Drive in test mode and see if codes appear. If no codes, suspect a leaky capacitor in the engine/trans ECU. Take cover off of ECU and look for blackness oozing out on the circuit boards.....