LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sounds like a machine gun when i start my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 02:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

buying another car because the starter died?

lol. just LOL.
Old 06-06-11, 02:42 AM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
buying another car because the starter died?

lol. just LOL.
No that's not the reason. There's so much wrong with my 91 LS. I posted a thread about my car giving me problems before like last year.
Old 06-06-11, 12:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If the rest of the car is in good condition, applying these fixes may be practical but up to a point. If it is lots of wallet hurt, no sense in doing that unless you love the car for a project. 20 year old car, it will have plenty of worn stuff at the higher miles.

I do agree that looking for a newer one might be a better approach. Again, you can still have similar problems as now so avoiding them means going even newer as the odds decrease.
Old 06-06-11, 05:26 PM
selkirk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naes
It would even smoke with the key turned on "on" (where you can listen to the radio, roll down Windows, etc. That could've been how my battery drained.
Whoa horsey! Your battery wire should not be smoking under any circumstances, much less with the car in a mode where there shouldn't be a significant current drain. Find and fix the current drain first, then go back to the starter and battery.
Old 06-06-11, 06:02 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Well, if you already have the intake manifold off, and you're at the starter, why not just rebuild the starter seeing how the hard part is already done? Try hunting down the elecrical problem, it shouldn't be too hard. I was reading some of your old threads about your electrical problems, 2 years ago, and it seems like your problems started with wiring up your fogs with no relay. Did you ever fix that up? That's where I would look if you have an electrical drain.
Quick question; If you have the intake off how did you try to start it? Wouldn't everything electrical be unplugged already? I never took my manifold off so I'm not sure about it.
Old 06-07-11, 01:04 AM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA40
If the rest of the car is in good condition, applying these fixes may be practical but up to a point. If it is lots of wallet hurt, no sense in doing that unless you love the car for a project. 20 year old car, it will have plenty of worn stuff at the higher miles.

I do agree that looking for a newer one might be a better approach. Again, you can still have similar problems as now so avoiding them means going even newer as the odds decrease.
i know these problems happen to everyone sometime in their lives, but starting fresh on a new car is what i think is best for me. it really makes no sense for me to cough up money to try & fix this problem with my LS cuz i have a feeling it'll only break down on me again with something greater of a problem

Originally Posted by selkirk
Whoa horsey! Your battery wire should not be smoking under any circumstances, much less with the car in a mode where there shouldn't be a significant current drain. Find and fix the current drain first, then go back to the starter and battery.
yeah i know, that was weird seeing smoke come from the terminal/negative wire.

Originally Posted by deanshark
Well, if you already have the intake manifold off, and you're at the starter, why not just rebuild the starter seeing how the hard part is already done? Try hunting down the elecrical problem, it shouldn't be too hard. I was reading some of your old threads about your electrical problems, 2 years ago, and it seems like your problems started with wiring up your fogs with no relay. Did you ever fix that up? That's where I would look if you have an electrical drain.
Quick question; If you have the intake off how did you try to start it? Wouldn't everything electrical be unplugged already? I never took my manifold off so I'm not sure about it.
man my LS is already at rock bottom. wow you found that thread? but yeah after that happened to me & finding out how much the cost would be to fix that electrical problem (it was an unknown cost which could've cost me little or alot, really unpredictable), i decided to use my LS just as a beater for work & an "A-B" car. i knew it would break down on me someday & last week had to be it

so pretty much my only option is to part out this car & get it towed away & get another car. a higher year LS maybe or something else on the VIP platforms.

with the intake mani off, i just tried to see if the starter would turn over but it was frozen. no budge what so ever