LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power-versus-ECT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-02, 02:20 AM
oac3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power-versus-ECT

Just the other day I put the car in Power mode from the default ECT setting. Didn't feel a thing ! No difference whatsoever, at least that I can feel !!!

Questions:

(a) Is there NOT supposed to be a difference in the ride betwen
these two modes ?

(b) Any other find this same in theirs ?

I know that in my '96 Nissan Max, going to the O/D mode gave an instant (and I mean instant) boost to performance and speed. Even in my '01 Sequoia (the beast), the O/D is great for pickup and passing, if necessary. But the LS just has a dead feel...or nothing at all.

Mine is a '99. Just wondering, and hoping for input. If this is nOT the norm, then I may need mine checked. But before I start badgering the dealership, I figured I'd ask all of you kind fellows
Old 09-09-02, 10:48 AM
Lvangundy

The O/D and ECT butttons serve two different purposes.

Overdrive (O/D) when turned off (when the light shows on the dash) limits the cars transmission to 4 gears (on a 5 speed.) Older LS's only had a 4 speed (3 gears with O/D) transmission. Leaving this off does reduce fuel economy but keeps the cars engine revving higher which may give the car a more punchy, responsive feel. Your engine has VVTI(variable valve timing with intelligence) which should help with better response anyway.

ECT (Electronically controlled transmission with intelligence) works to make the transmission more agressive by making it more sensitive to acceleration. The transmission downshifts quicker, and upshifts at higher RPM points than normal. It may be hard to detect, but you can feel the difference if you pay close enough attention. If your car has the SNOW function on the ECT button, this does the opposite by reducing how much power can go to the wheels.

Hope this helps!
Lee
Old 09-09-02, 11:02 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power-versus-ECT

I Have a '95 LS, when I turn on the ECT button (Electronic Controlled Transmission) there is a difference. You feel a power increase from about 40 M.P.H and up. Try it!
Old 09-10-02, 01:19 AM
oac3
Rookie

Lvangundy:

I was actually refering to the "Power" and "ECT" buttons on the gear shaft. Yes, mine also has the "SNOW" option, but I live in So Cal, so no chance to check that one out...

So what is the difference betwen the Power option and the O/D ? and where is the O/D button in the LS ?
Old 09-10-02, 01:29 AM
Lvangundy

hmm..

Maybe the 99 LS's are different than the older ones as far as what the O/D and ETC buttons do and where they are located. Shouldn't be though...

Maybe someone with a 98+ LS can tell you, but my explanation of O/D (off/on) and POWER ETC should be thorough enough..;-)

Maybe you meant the POWER ETC - which is the ETC button.
Old 09-10-02, 01:47 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Lee is correct. The ECT (Electronically Controlled Transmission) switch controls HOW the transmission responds to throttle and load. Re-read his post as that is exactly what it does. Also, as he states, switching the O/D button prevents the tranny from going into overdrive and makes the car feel more responsive with light throttle imput... kinda like leaving it in 1st gear.
Old 09-10-02, 06:08 PM
fusi0n 1er
Rookie

Default Power Button

Whenever I get on the freeway I floor the gas pedal and when my RPM hits to 3K and there's no more room to press the gas pedal I turn on the power button and my RPM hit to 5 or sometimes 6 and I accelerate faster than ever. try that.......
Old 09-11-02, 03:17 AM
velandia
Driver School Candidate

Post O/D on 98+ LS 400

When I first saw the setup of the gear shift, my impression was that the equivalent of an "O/D switch" is the shift lever itself - If you are on the highway and you want to downshift to pass (ie turn overdrive off), you move the shift lever left from "D" to "4". I've tried this at ~45MHP just to check it out, you can see the tach rev up ~30%-40% when you do this.

I agree with previous posts about how ECT power works (in theory, I really baby the car when I drive it, so I haven't tried this) - just makes shift points more agressive - higher RPM's before shifting to the next gear.
Old 09-11-02, 08:16 PM
brian3268
Lead Lap

Abcedefghij

Last edited by brian3268; 08-28-21 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-13-02, 02:28 AM
oac3
Rookie

Velandia, you are absolutely right. Upon close inspection of my absent-minded gear shift, I noticed that I drive always in 4th gear, with the shift lever on the left of D. Meaning I am always driving with O/D OFF

And I had been wondering whatever happened to my mpg consistently in the 15+mpg ??? Now I know.... I have corrected my bone head stupidity by making sure the gear is in D (right side of gear shaft)> My mileage computer readout has now gone up to 18.5mpg.

Just an absent-minded professor or bone-head driver too focused on the destination and not on the driving itself. I cannot stop to berate myself for just missing this simple thing... arghhhhh....

Last edited by oac3; 09-13-02 at 02:33 AM.