LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 LS400 Ignition Wires & Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 07:22 PM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 LS400 Ignition Wires & Plugs

I installed new ignition wires and plugs.
I made the mistake of trying to use Napa wires. I got everything apart and took the old wire harness out. When I reinstalled the Napa wires I made a mistake with the plug #3&5 (unknown to me at the time) wires. I put everything back together and the car started and was running rough. Drove it 3 miles and took it all apart and fixed #3&5. Put it all back together. Then when I started the engine, the C (middle) wire that doesn’t go to a spark plug got snapped in half because I didn’t have it clipped in (directed) properly and got caught on the belt wheel.
I ordered the OEM wires that all come assembled perfectly and go in with great ease! I recommend the OEM’s if you’re going to do this.
I have put it all back together. I have triple checked everything but the car will not start. I have checked the fuses and all seem fine. It turns over and everything seems to work but it just doesn’t start.
I read that the 1990 LS400 has an immobilizer as part of the OEM alarm system. I read on this forum that I should lock and unlock the doors with the key to reset it. I did that and it didn’t help.
I also would like to tell anyone doing this that when you take the two hoses off the intake pipe to the air filter be very careful. I broke the small plastic nipple that the small hose goes on. The new Intake Pipe cost me $217.00
I can’t sleep not knowing what the hell is wrong!
I would really appreciate any help.
Thank You,

Topher60
Old 05-22-11, 10:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Verify that any-all wires and vacuum hoses are plugged into their prospective places.

Is the car showing the <CEL> Check Engine Light?
If not, disconnect the neg battery terminal to rest the ECU's. Obviosuly you will lose any memory in radio, etc. Most these cases, you have a disconnected electrical connector.
Old 05-23-11, 04:59 AM
Privateer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check you still have spark, if that wire that was clipped by the engine turning over was hot (i.e. electrically charged), you may have damaged other componants.
Old 05-23-11, 05:08 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Check all the wiring and electrical plugs near the area where that coil wire snapped. It might have caught on the cam pulley and spun around and chewed up some wiring, like the cam sensor or the coil. Although, it would still start with only 1 coil working. Check (again) all the fuses, and all the relays with a meter. Maybe an electrical surge blew the starter relay.
When that coil wire snapped, did the engine shut down by itself or did you shut it off and then not start afterward?
Old 05-23-11, 06:53 AM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
Check all the wiring and electrical plugs near the area where that coil wire snapped. It might have caught on the cam pulley and spun around and chewed up some wiring, like the cam sensor or the coil. Although, it would still start with only 1 coil working. Check (again) all the fuses, and all the relays with a meter. Maybe an electrical surge blew the starter relay.
When that coil wire snapped, did the engine shut down by itself or did you shut it off and then not start afterward?
Thank you for the reply. When that coil wire snapped it was a clean break.
Old 05-23-11, 06:55 AM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Privateer
Double check you still have spark, if that wire that was clipped by the engine turning over was hot (i.e. electrically charged), you may have damaged other componants.
I will check the coil for a spark. Thank You.
Old 05-24-11, 08:28 PM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Well it seems I'm not getting any spark to the coils. I have someone coming over to a schematic test. I think I might have arched something. Once again I should have gone with the OEM wires for $130. Only $30 more than Napa! I will keep you posted. Thank you all for the help so far.

Sincerely,
Topher60
Old 06-05-11, 04:54 PM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Well, I haven't had any luck getting someone over to have a look. I am not getting any spark from the coil to the plugs.
I have checked all fuses, wires, and anything else that might be loose or disconnected. The engine turns over but with no spark from the coils I’m going nowhere anytime soon.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Topher60
Old 06-09-11, 04:58 PM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Mike "Most these cases, you have a disconnected electrical connector."

I've checked and rechecked all the fuses. I'm not getting a from the coil. I ccan't figure out what could be preventing getting a spark to the (coil) plugs.
Old 06-10-11, 10:36 AM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Default How to check if the ignition coils are working?

I can't get any spark to the plugs. How do I check if the ignition coils are working? Here is what I did and what I have done.

I made the mistake of trying to use Napa wires. I got everything apart and took the old wire harness out. When I reinstalled the Napa wires I made a mistake with the plug #3&5 (unknown to me at the time) wires. I put everything back together and the car started and was running rough. Drove it 3 miles and took it all apart and fixed #3&5. Put it all back together. Then when I started the engine, the C (middle) wire that doesn’t go to a spark plug got snapped in half because I didn’t have it clipped in (directed) properly and got caught on the belt wheel. I ordered OEM wires and installed them correctly.
I have put it all back together. I have triple checked everything but the car will not start. I have checked the fuses and all seem fine. It turns over and everything seems to work but it just doesn’t start.
Old 06-10-11, 11:00 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Why do people make two threads on the same subject? It just clogs up the boards. Post in the same thread and people don't have to guess and ask the same questions. It's also better for people who actually search in the future.
Old 06-10-11, 03:16 PM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Thought I might get closer to solving my problem. I talked to a Lexus Tech and he said it could be an igniter. There are two (Part#89620) and if I could rule these out @$484.00 each I would sleep better. Sorry for posting a new thread thought I might be able to rule this problem out.
Thank You,
Topher60
Old 06-11-11, 01:12 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you make sure the AFM was plugged in all the way?

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/ignition/sparkplugs.html

Look at STEP 7. If that is not in all the way it will turn but won't start. At least that's been my experience with it.
Old 06-11-11, 09:53 AM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I have checked that. TY. That is the website I used to do the project. I also used that site to replace my pre-cat O2 sensors. Only cost me $181.00 I sure hope I don't have to replace the Igniters or Coils. Coils and Distributers would be cheaper. The few people I have spoken with said they didn't think what I did would cause them to go. Who knows? I'll llet you all know when I figure this out.

Thank You All,
Topher60
Old 06-11-11, 10:53 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by avalon42
Did you make sure the AFM was plugged in all the way?

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/ignition/sparkplugs.html

Look at STEP 7. If that is not in all the way it will turn but won't start. At least that's been my experience with it.
Actually if the AFM is unplugged it will start. I've been driving mine that way for over a year. One of these days I'll get a new one.

Quick Reply: 1990 LS400 Ignition Wires & Plugs