LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

UCF10 HID install question (how to get hi/low function)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 05:53 PM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks i will try that later today or tomorrow!
Old 10-06-11, 09:41 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tenchu
There are 3 plugs on your headlight harness (car side, not HID side). De-pin the outside two (not the middle) and reverse them. Your fogs will work.
How are you able to de-pin them? What is the correct way?

Thx
Old 10-08-11, 12:34 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I think he means un plug them and flip them so that the male side is going into the opposite female it previously was.
Old 10-08-11, 06:23 PM
tenchu
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
How are you able to de-pin them? What is the correct way?

Thx
Your plug should have two female prongs that are even with each other, and one that is lower/higher (depending on how you're holding it :P ). The lower one is the ground, the other two, are power (one for high beam power, one for low beam power).

Some Toyotas (including our LS') are wired reverse polarity, so whats "normally" the high beam side, is our low beam side, and your "universal" HID kit is pulling power from the high beam side, making your car think the high beams are on, therefor disabling your fogs (since our fogs only work with low beams)

There are other ways around this, people have wired the fogs to come on with the parking lights, therefore allowing you to run the fogs with the highs, lows, or even no headlights at all (just running parking lights), but its much easier my way, and it allows you to use bi-xenon hids (allowing you to have highs and lows).

I used a pick, its really hard for me to explain, but i'll try.

Of course, disconnect your battery, just to be safe

Find the headlight plug (that would normally plug into the halogen bulb)

The two power prongs (the ones even with each other) if you look into the FEMALE end (opposite side of where the wires connect) and look closely, you should see where the metal pin curves up onto the plastic on one side, you need to push the little lip back towards the pin, releasing it from the plastic, while pulling the wire (gently!) out from the other side with a needle nose pliers. This should NOT be a "hard" process, so do not force it.

Once you've got the wires out (make sure you note which color came from what side) re-insert the pins into the opposite sides, they should "snap" right back in, and the lip should automatically hug the plastic again, so that the wire doesn't come out.

Hope this helps
Old 10-08-11, 06:41 PM
tenchu
Driver

PS - Here are some pictures of the beam, 8k HIDs, Eagle Eye housings one side high beam doesn't work (****ty company ><) and the drivers side is aimed lower than the passenger (to avoid blinding oncoming traffic). For reference this is about a 3ft high cinder block wall

~20ft low beams

~20ft high beams

~50ft low beams
Old 10-08-11, 07:30 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Thanks for the info. I looked hard at them for a day trying kinda what you said before you commented. I could never get it to release. So i went and did this after searching

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...g-harness.html

This at least gave me the option to go back and use 9003 bulbs in my eagle eyes later. But my hi-beams don't work. ?

No fogs but i knew that would happen.

I have to adjust them down some.

Thanks for your response.
Old 10-08-11, 07:33 PM
tenchu
Driver

So you cut the wires and spliced them together? I would have recommended this as a last resort, but it works

If you have no high-beams, you need to reverse the power wires on the harness
Old 10-08-11, 07:42 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

So you cut the wires and spliced them together? I would have recommended this as a last resort, but it works

If you have no high-beams, you need to reverse the power wires on the harness
yes i did guess i got desperate.

So by looking at the other post what wires do you think should be linked to get the hi beams to work now?

Doing it that way made them all work if i stayed with stock 9003 bulbs.

Thx again
Old 10-13-11, 04:45 PM
tenchu
Driver

Sorry about the delay, been busy at work. I took apart my head lights to show you what I was talking about, this is the passenger headlight plug, I personally used the drivers to install my H.I.D.s, but its the same idea. I actually flipped the wires on the HID side of the harness, not the car side, to make sure that, like you, if I had to switch to halogen bulbs I could.

The two green arrow wires need to be reversed, the red x wire stays the same

Old 10-13-11, 05:41 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Hey, thats cool thanks for your time. I messed with it today not sure what's going on. If you look at that post i mentioned earlier i followed his set up when when i spliced in a 9003 connector. When i reversed them i blew the headlight fuses. So i got no hi beams no fogs.

Maybe its the ground to the hid harness? I just have it to the battery post my try and move it see if that gets the hi beams working.
Old 10-13-11, 06:25 PM
tenchu
Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Hey, thats cool thanks for your time. I messed with it today not sure what's going on. If you look at that post i mentioned earlier i followed his set up when when i spliced in a 9003 connector. When i reversed them i blew the headlight fuses. So i got no hi beams no fogs.

Maybe its the ground to the hid harness? I just have it to the battery post my try and move it see if that gets the hi beams working.
You reversed a wrong wire if you're blowing fuses.
Old 10-23-11, 08:59 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

You reversed a wrong wire if you're blowing fuses.
Well i have gone over and over this i either blow the fuses when i do what you do are i get nothing just low beams i guess.

I have tried other wire cross options on the HID side no change. So i guess have to live with it or go back to regular bulbs.

I know they are Bi-xenon bulb setup so maybe they are junk.

Thanks anyway.
Old 07-11-12, 10:46 AM
smix
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about the delay, been busy at work. I took apart my head lights to show you what I was talking about, this is the passenger headlight plug, I personally used the drivers to install my H.I.D.s, but its the same idea. I actually flipped the wires on the HID side of the harness, not the car side, to make sure that, like you, if I had to switch to halogen bulbs I could.

The two green arrow wires need to be reversed, the red x wire stays the same

this is probably a stupid question but i am a n00b with LS and i like to make sure of things before i mess with it lol , so this plug that you reverse the wires. It's the plug of the cars headlight harness that plugs into the hid bulb harness right?
Old 07-11-12, 11:12 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i don't see why you should reverse anything. if the harness is wired properly it should work w/o any modifications. however as for this thread, it seems they only reversed the wires of the HID harness that plug into the OEM harness, do NOT reverse the OEM plug. this is so you can still run a normal bulb if need be.

sounds to me if you have to reverse anything, that product is sub par.
Old 07-11-12, 01:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i don't see why you should reverse anything. if the harness is wired properly it should work w/o any modifications. however as for this thread, it seems they only reversed the wires of the HID harness that plug into the OEM harness, do NOT reverse the OEM plug. this is so you can still run a normal bulb if need be.

sounds to me if you have to reverse anything, that product is sub par.
normal halogen bulbs arent polarity sensitive. hence it isnt really standardized for the plug.

Quick Reply: UCF10 HID install question (how to get hi/low function)