LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake lights suddenly stop working!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 11:59 PM
MEQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights suddenly stop working!! HELP!

I own a 1995 LS400 and yesterday, my brake lights suddenly stopped working. My courtesy lights still work but when i step on the brakes, the high intensity brake lights do not turn on. NONE OF THEM. I checked my fuse boxes and looked at all the fuses that had anything to do with brakes and they all looked fine. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to go from here?? I really would like to avoid the cost of taking it to a mechanic so hopefully someone can help me find a way to do this myself. Thank you for your help!!
Old 06-15-11, 03:59 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The problem could be caused by a bad brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal but I would think you would be having difficulty shifting out of Park if the switch was the problem.
Old 06-15-11, 10:48 AM
TrAPsTaR87
Driver School Candidate

checkout your bulbs. They have been known to blow out.
Old 06-15-11, 03:32 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

also check the sockets contacts, sometimes they can be burnt or melted.
Old 06-15-11, 05:05 PM
MEQ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
The problem could be caused by a bad brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal but I would think you would be having difficulty shifting out of Park if the switch was the problem.
Thanks for the reply guys.

KANSAS - I do have a problem shifting out of park!!!! I was checking my Fuses and one of the fuses that has to do with the "Park Shift Lever" or something like that is blown so i thought it was the fuse (Haven't been able to replace it yet). But how do i go about checking the "Bad break light switch"??? I would really appreciate the help on this one!!!!!
Old 06-15-11, 05:10 PM
MEQ
Driver School Candidate

KANSAS - So i looked up the bad break light switch problem on the forum. I found one guy who gave this suggestion:

"I'm quite positive that it's your brake light switch. They run about $20 and you can replace it yourself quite easily. If you lay on your back and follow the brake peddle up under the dash you'll see the switch. Just pop off the wiring harness, twist and pop it out. Pop in the new one, adjust it's length so the peddle depresses the switch and attach the harness. 10 minute job at most."

Is this what you suggest i follow or do you have another idea in mind?? Thanks so much for the help!!!
Old 06-15-11, 05:38 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MEQ
KANSAS - So i looked up the bad break light switch problem on the forum. I found one guy who gave this suggestion:

"I'm quite positive that it's your brake light switch. They run about $20 and you can replace it yourself quite easily. If you lay on your back and follow the brake peddle up under the dash you'll see the switch. Just pop off the wiring harness, twist and pop it out. Pop in the new one, adjust it's length so the peddle depresses the switch and attach the harness. 10 minute job at most."

Is this what you suggest i follow or do you have another idea in mind?? Thanks so much for the help!!!
Well ... I had a brake light switch on a 90 LS fail a couple of times over the 13 1/2 years I owned it and both times I had the same shifter problem and no brake lights. You could test your brake light switch to see if it is bad but if you can't shift out of Park without using the override button and you don't have brake lights then there is an extremely high probably that it is a defective switch at the top of the brake pedal arm.
Old 06-15-11, 05:58 PM
MEQ
Driver School Candidate

Cool. I just pulled out the break pedal switch off the car. I called the dealership and they wanted to charge me $94 just for the part. Thats Bull**** considering i can buy it for less than $20 online and install it myself for free. I'm going to try that out and i'll get back to you to let you know how it goes!
Old 06-15-11, 08:10 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

You might be able to rebuild the switch. It should be a simple contact that is corroded. It will be up to you to figure out how to take it appart, and then test that you get a closed circut when the switch is activated.
Old 06-16-11, 07:31 PM
MEQ
Driver School Candidate

So i went to a place in the Bay Area called Pick-n-Pull where they have a yard full of cars that are being parted out. I went up to a ES300 and got the Brake light switch off of the car (it is 50X harder to reach it on the ES than it is on the LS but i was FINALLY able to get it). They charged me $4. I installed it on my LS. It fit perfectly, and NOW....... My break lights work and my car doesn't get stuck in park!!!!! ***** yea!!! If i had taken it to the dealer, they would have charged me almost $100 just for the part and who knows what for the labor. So i just saved alot of money.

Thank you SOO much KANSAS. I really appreciate the help man! I owe you one!
Old 06-17-11, 04:00 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MEQ
Thank you SOO much KANSAS. I really appreciate the help man! I owe you one!
SEND MONEY! (Kidding, of course.)

If you had taken your car to the transmission repair shop (the franchise name starts with "A") where my bro-in-law was a service writer you likely would have been told that the solution to getting your gear selector out of Park was a rebuilt transmission. He had to meet a quota each week on rebuilds - needed or not - and had to pull all sorts of stunts to make it.