LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Im stumped!!!! Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 11:22 AM
tonyfazt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i wast thinking and since u only messed with the front parts water pump and timing belt
it cranks but doesnt start
has fuel and spark
did u remember to put back the crank shaft plate one with the teeth
about 5 inches in diameter also check the crank shaft sensor itself
it also causes the car not to start if not plugged in correctly or
check the connection maybe it broke check the resistance
Attached Thumbnails Im stumped!!!! Car wont start-eng2_page_42.gif  

Last edited by tonyfazt; 05-01-11 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-01-11, 02:27 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by chadr
if they aren't wet with gas after cranking for 5 sec then I really don't think gas is getting there
I gotta agree with chad on this one. If they aren't soaked with fuel then there is a problem there. When my car jumped time and I tried to start it, I pulled the plugs and they looked, and smelled, like I dumped a gallon of fuel on them. I was also thinking the crankshaft sensor b/c of the way the wire harness goes. It's possible the wire to the sensor could be crushed behind the fan bracket, or maybe you forgot to plug it back in. We've all done something like that before, it happens. Also, as tonyfazt says, did you install the timing belt guide? (crank angle sensor plate)
Old 05-01-11, 05:34 PM
Cashflo
Driver

Crank sensor plate is on, I think it may be the crank sensor, but I cant even get the damn clip off of it!!! Its ON there.
Old 05-01-11, 06:05 PM
Cashflo
Driver

Got it off, cleaned the sensor... Same thing, still wont start.
Old 05-01-11, 08:06 PM
Cashflo
Driver

Going to do a compression test or leak down test tomorrow. I still haven't figured it out.
Old 05-01-11, 08:55 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like something much more fundamental than bad compression. Can you measure the fuel pressure? If there's a Schrader valve on the line its really simple, at least you can just press the dimple and make sure fuel jets out of the thing. (If you have an old hand (pencil style) pressure gauge you can use that if you don't mind trashing it).

How many miles on it?
Old 05-02-11, 04:26 AM
Cashflo
Driver

Its got 200k, but the car ran great before!
Old 05-02-11, 06:10 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Did you check the resistence on the crankshaft sensor with an ohm meter? If it's the same as a 93 it should be
cold 835 - 1400 ohms
hot 1060 - 1645 ohms
If it ran fine before you did the T-belt & water pump then it has to be something you just did. I hate to say it but you might have to tear it down again and redo the T-belt job. (except the water pump) Are the spark plugs gapped right? Are you getting spark from all the wires and did you check the plugs themselves? (Even though they're new) When you changed the T-belt did you use a manual or one of the tutorials found here in other threads? Just for reference here's one to look at. http://www.lextreme.com/timing.htm The only thing with this one is he didn't use the marks on the belt but used the marks on the cam pulleys and engine. (Which is what is supposed to be used) I know how ya feel when ya get stumped like this. Keep your head up, you'll get it if you keep on it. You even have to check the simplest things even if you already checked them.
Old 05-02-11, 10:56 AM
foos
Driver School Candidate

I had a problem with my 97 LS400 and a faulty after market alarm. Car would start but die after 1-2 seconds. I had alarm shop completely remove it and solved problem. May be worth checking.
Old 05-02-11, 10:59 AM
Cashflo
Driver

Hmmm, well after it didn't start, my buddy dropped a nut and it tore up the new belt. I just re-did the job again, motor is in time.

I have spark at all 8 of the wires, I have fuel at both rails! I still havent checked resistance at the crank sensor, I'll pick up an ohm meter tomorrow.
Old 05-02-11, 12:13 PM
tonyfazt
Rookie

when u turn the key to the on position does the check engine light turn on
Old 05-11-11, 08:42 AM
chadr
Rookie

running yet?
Old 05-12-11, 03:48 PM
Mach1speed
Driver School Candidate

what you said about "sounds promising" like it almost wants to start, like the cylinders are firing a little bit but just won't all fire up on time and run. If that is the case, sounds like a timing belt not set rght. when you said timing is right did you mean you checked the marks on the belt, crank pulley and cam pulleys? belt could be off a tooth and create a problem. I changed my timing belt on 95 ls 400 a couple of months ago and the mark for the right cam on the head did not match the pulley mark, it was about half a tooth off. I matched the marks on the belt with the marks on the pulleys. Being a long time DIY on all my cars, about 35 years, if something worked before I fixed it and doesn't work after I fixed it, it alays has something to do with what I fixed. I doubt your troubles have anything to do with anything you did not touch.
Old 05-13-11, 08:44 PM
Cashflo
Driver

Motor turned out to be 180* out of spark, I switched the orientation of the rotors from how they were and it half started, then I did the other side and the motor cranked!

The guide I was following had a different orientation for the rotors.
Old 05-14-11, 05:24 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Awesome. I had a feeling you were gonna have to tear it down again. But I still don't get it. How do people keep putting the rotors on 180* off? There's a notch on the back of the rotor which fits onto a dimple. (put tab A into slot B) If it's on backwards it sits on an angle which should be noticable,...unless you're rushing through it. No offense to anyone who has done that, but if ya just take your time and don't rush through a job, you should be ok. Anyway, glad ya got it goin again.

Quick Reply: Im stumped!!!! Car wont start