LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New owner here; car has rough idle and hesitation going up hills

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 05:58 PM
atropine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I have been just driving the car for a while to get a better feel for how it is performing. It has been driving pretty smooth, but my mpg has only been about 21 on the freeway at 75-80mph. I think it should be better than that. I have also noticed that the car performs a little worse when it gets above 90 degrees outside and the engine is warm. What I man by "worse" is that there is just an occasional small misfire at idle and an rare small stumble on acceleration. Overall it is probably 90% better than when I bought the car. So I decided to Seafoam the engine this week. I ran a can through the fuel tank, and 1/3 can through the crankcase and 1/2 can through the vacuum line into the intake. I noticed something very interesting. I discovered white smoke coming up the backside of the engine. With the direction of the breeze, I knew this couldn't be flow from the tailpipe coming back up under the car. So I suspected an EGR pipe leak. I didn't ever suspect it before because the exhaust noise has been very minimal. So last night I researched the EGR pipe removal process on this forum and dove into the project. What should have been a 30 minute process turned into a 3-hour nightmare because of the old, rusty exhaust flange bolts that have to be removed to take down the RH cat. After procuring a special "rounded bolt remover tool" today, I finally got the cat off and then the EGR pipe off. Lo and behold, there is a HUGE hole in the EGR pipe about midway through the flexible accordion section. So tomorrow I am picking up a new EGR pipe and gaskets from Lexus of Las Vegas and will reinstall them tomorrow night (if I get home in time). I am optimistic that this has been the primary source of my trouble all along and this is the final fix for this issue. One thing-- the single bolt that holds the EGR pipe to the back of the block is a massive pain to access, and I don't know if I am going to be able to even get that bolt restarted without dropping the transmission. It was a huge pain to get it out (couldn't get a socket in there, couldn't reach it with my fingertips). I had to use a ratchet wrench, but it is about 3" too short to really use easily. Have any of you reinstalled the EGR pipe without using this single bolt? It will still be secured firmly with 2 bolts at each end (the intake manifold end and the exhaust manifold end). I wonder if leaving this bolt out will actually allow the pipe to flex a little better and maybe prevent cracking again in the future.

Last edited by atropine; 05-26-11 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-26-11, 07:29 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Not sure if that bolt would make a difference, either good or bad, but if the engineers put it there then it's there for a reason. Although they did over engineer things on these cars a little too much sometimes. I've read alot on the EGR pipe and I can remember everyone talking about how difficult that bolt is and ya need skinny arms to get to it without trouble, but it can be done. I know you searched but try some more to see if someone has a trick to get it in. I'm thinking a swivel u-joint extension, maybe some tape to hold the bolt tight inside the socket.
Old 05-27-11, 06:00 AM
chadr
Rookie

does an exhaust leak in the egr pipe or elsewhere in the exhaust impact the o2 readings/mpg? How much of a difference in mpg has been found by fixing leaking exhaust components?
Old 05-27-11, 10:01 AM
Abdiel
Rookie

to replace the egr pipe is not too hard just takes patience because the top bottom bolt cant see and you will have to work with feel. you will need at least a 16" extension and if I can remember a size 12 or 13 socket and you'll also need one of those universal sockets. you will have to remove the front passanger wheel but make sure the engine is cool down once you remove the wheel you can see it. have fun did mines about a month or 2 ago mines was split in 2.
Old 05-27-11, 11:42 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

check engine light still on? u do realize that code 13 will come on if u knocked the cam sensor wire off? also as i read through this,well more like skimmed over it..i notice people giving advice thats not needed or incorrect...like "do your timing belt" because it fixed my problem....lets not get caught up in...it fixed mine so it must be the fix all for that code. cel codes are generic,especially in obd1. code 25 and 26 are lean mixture codes? which could be 02 sensors or something else causing it to run lean
Old 08-31-11, 10:47 PM
atropine
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to give a little follow-up now on my car. After doing all the above things to my car (new plugs, coolant temp sensor, seafoam, cleaned TB, new crank sensor, etc) the car was running better thatn when I bought it, but still not 100% correct all the time. What I found was that the car would run just fine first thing in the morning, but after getting up to operating temp, I would find that I had some misfiring at idle and just a little bit going up hills still. This seemed to be worse during the hottest part of the day (when it was over 100 degrees). It got a little worse as the summer temps got hotter. It really seemed to be temporally related to the combination of hot ambient temps and getting the engine up to operating temp. The same CEL light would come on occasionally first thing in the morning (but then disappear in 20 minutes) suggesting crank or cam sensor. Some searching on this forum seemed to suggest that the cam sensors can be heat sensitive, so I decided to try replacing the only original one left in the car. Since the PO had already replaced the RH cam sensor and I had done the crank sensor, there was only one left to replace. I broke down and paid the $75 for the LH cam sensor and installed it last week. After driving it for about 4-5 days now, I think I can finally say that my hesitation/stuttering/misfiring issue is 100% definitively cured. The car runs great now, no evidence of any problems at all. If the problem comes back I will post a follow-up here.
Old 08-31-11, 11:22 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

glad to see its better.

hopefully, this is the end. congrats !!

Last edited by emarknot; 09-01-11 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-01-11, 05:27 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Well, you did say it was fixed before. Just kiddin', I know what it's like when ya change things and it seems like it's better and then the problem comes back. It sucks trying to pinpoint a problem like you had. Being so heat sensitive would be a good point b/c for some reason it seems like the heat effects everything more on the drivers side. I hope this time ya got it, it seems like you did b/c it's been 4-5 days this time.
Old 09-01-11, 10:58 AM
atropine
Driver School Candidate

Ya, I felt a little stupid even reposting at all now b/c the last time I posted I thought it was fixed then too. This car has been frustrating in that it seemed to get a little better with each intervention and then the same symptoms would come back again shortly. I really hope this time it is fixed for good. Ive driven several hundred miles this week and so far, so good.
Old 09-01-11, 11:08 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Yeah we've all done that, ya fix something and start jumping for joy and then all of a sudden,,.....aaaawwweee maaaan, !@#$%^.
I think you got it this time. It's the most you've driven without the problem, right?
Old 09-05-11, 06:52 AM
fluxedup
Driver School Candidate

Isnt that the Gods honest truth, I miss my dirt bikes and lawnmowers. Simplicity has it's allure.
Mike