LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

need opinions/suggestions on repair UCF20

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 02:53 PM
chasiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need opinions/suggestions on repair UCF20

Hi guys, first post but have been on the forum reading and searching for over a month since i bought my 95 LS.

i need some opinions on a repair on the LS. Like i said, bought my LS a month and a bit ago and kinda bought it on a rush (i know it's a bad start). anyway, known problem is the rear springs that is broken, heated seat not working (was lied about the issue), later found out the right front and rear speaker works on and off (prob loose connection, didnt show up until lates), and recently, the engine seems really loud at at idle when cold. I seafoam the intake and seems to subside a bit but still have a whining noise when accelerating which can be heard from inside the car. I also found out some rusting on the bottom of front passenger door.

Anyway, to my knownledge right now, the rear springs will be the first repair on my list. i have come to a few options for myself to choose from,

1. search for used parts from salvage yards (been searching and nothing so far)

2. buy a set of Megan coilovers knowing it will last for a long enough time.

3. buy a set of new rear springs from online store.

now my questions to you all is, with some of the known problems with the car at this point (might have others which i havent found out about yet), should i even be spending money on this car or go the cheapest route and call it a day?

i have reason for the Megan as the prices for the rear springs alone which i found out is about $200 from some online Toyota parts store plus shipping and taxes to Canada, and the fact that i am not sure if the rear shocks is dead or not. I am taking a chance with just the spring purchase and if i add the rear shocks to it, i am getting really close to what i will be paying for a set of coilovers.

sorry for the long post, and if anyone have any other suggestions on my other listed problems, please post.

thanks guys
Old 04-17-11, 04:00 PM
jdog0411
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on the car?

Most of those issues sound fairly minor to me. Not sure about the engine idle/noise issue, but the rest aren't that big of a deal. If it were my car, I would just get a set of Megan's. Buying springs and/or shocks doesn't make much sense when you look at the comparative cost.
Old 04-17-11, 09:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Forget the springs/coil overs at this point, that is a low priority purchase. Figure out what the whine is originating from.

Check-drain the major fluids first. Oil, tranny fluid, power steering and differential. If the tranny or PS fluid is dark like I suspect after the first full drain refill we'll know what to do next.

How many miles/km is on car?
Old 04-17-11, 10:28 PM
fatcat2
Driver

i agree with ra40, worry about the engine. when i bought my car it had(and still does) have a blown shock. i can live with it since its just a little more floaty feeling/bouncy and squeaks pretty loud. other than that it still works...ok...

i would def worry about the engine more so. i would hate to be stranded somewhere because i neglected the engine.
Old 04-18-11, 02:40 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine seems loud it may be worth checking the EGR pipe at the rear of the engine as this does split and make the exhaust note louder.
Old 04-19-11, 07:00 PM
chasiu
Driver School Candidate

sorry for the late reply, been busy with work. thanks for the suggestions.

the car have about 220,000 km right now. all the fluid was change shortly after i purchased the car, engine oil, tranny and PS fluid.

the sound is not an exhaust sound, or sounds anything like air leaking or something like that. more like a sharp grinding sound so i am suspecting it to be some kind of pulley or bearing. i am planning to replace the timing belt and water pump and such when the weather warms up a little more up here in the north.

and the reason i want to get the spring shocks replace is because the car rides OK if you are in the front seat but it's a different story when you ride in the backseat. i am sure i can bear with blown shocks but not when the spring is broken and the rear is riding on the bump stop. oh, another reason the the spring/shock replacement is because we are expecting a baby in august which will be riding in the backseat. as it stands right now, the baby will definitely puke every single time he rides in the LS which i am sure you all know it's not going to be fun.

i'll see if i can get someone locally to get an opinion on what is causing the noise. i'll keep you guys updated and thank you for the suggestions.

if you have any more, keep them coming.

big thanks!!!
Old 04-19-11, 07:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Any background on the car regarding service history? What was the condition of the fluids when drained?

Could be a water pump although I would be hesitant to drive it if it decides to seize up.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-20-11, 08:32 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could be looking at a new fan bracket bearing at the current mileage. Remove the drive belt and check for play in the bearing behind the engine-driven fan.
Old 04-20-11, 02:46 PM
chasiu
Driver School Candidate

no actual service records but i have a feeling now that the car only sees the service bay when something must be fixed or when it's time for reg oil change.

i was busy after i dropped the car off at the garage to change all fluid so i didnt get to see the condition of it.

btw, i paid $3000 cdn for the car so i wasnt expecting someone to keep a service record and since he was the 2nd or 3rd owner, i am guessing all records was lost or something.

i read some other post in regards to some whining noise so i will keep an eye on that and follow some of the procedure on there and see if i can narrow down the problem area.

thanks
Old 04-30-11, 01:58 PM
chasiu
Driver School Candidate

i finally have time to take a look at where the noise is coming from. took the accessory belt off and it quiet, spin a few pulley and found out it's the tensioner pulley have play, every other one that's connected to the accessory belt spins very freely. am i right to assume it's the tensioner pulley that's causing the noise?
Old 04-30-11, 09:11 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

If the tensioner pulley makes any kind of grinding noise when you spin it then yes, the bearing in the pulley is bad. Also, there shouldn't be any play in the pulley.