LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 LS400 - "Buzzing" sound when cold

Old 04-26-11, 10:59 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 LS400 - "Buzzing" sound when cold

Hi folks. Posted about this before, but I've got a new symptom. When cold, (i.e., when starting up first drive of the morning), I hear a rather noticeable "buzzing" belt type sound. I started the car this morning, and then got out to listen from the outside. Definite buzzing sound.

But the thing is, after I drive a quick errand and make it back home (about 8-10 miles total), I get out to listen, and the buzzing sound is gone. In fact, the car sounds exactly like it did 20 years ago, which is to say, totally silent.

Anyone have any clues on this?

The car has about 100,000 miles on the odometer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-11, 05:27 AM
jststrd
Driver School Candidate

It is probably the powers steering fluid low. I get one also. When the car is cold the fluid contracts and is low. When the fluid warms it expands. Check it out but don't overfill it.
Old 05-03-11, 04:04 AM
Lesley1
Driver School Candidate

Or the p/s pump could be in the begininng stages of failure. Your symptoms sound exactly like what I just went through. The colder it was, the louder it seemed to be until I seen a big puddle of fluid on the ground. But at first it was only a slight whine/buzz. Mine would get quiet as soon as I turned the car off for a few minutes after it was warmed up. If you can, take the belly pan off and start watching for a drip. Because of the belly pan it may already be leaking and has yet to make to the ground. Good luck and keep an eye on that fluid level no matter what.
Old 05-03-11, 04:37 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Thanks guys. At the risk of revealing that I am a total idiot, could someone give me a clue as to where the power steering fluid reservoir is, and what levels/marks I should be looking at. Thanks in advance.

This problem started a few months back during the severe cold snap. The sound was very slight then, but it seems to have gotten a bit louder, gradually. Also, I have seen no leaks on the floor of the garage.

If there is a problem here, I may just have the Lexus store take care of it during the equivalent of a 15,000 mile service, which is up soon. In any event, I'd like to have a look at the fluid myself.
Old 05-03-11, 08:53 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Thanks guys. At the risk of revealing that I am a total idiot, could someone give me a clue as to where the power steering fluid reservoir is, and what levels/marks I should be looking at. Thanks in advance.

This problem started a few months back during the severe cold snap. The sound was very slight then, but it seems to have gotten a bit louder, gradually. Also, I have seen no leaks on the floor of the garage.

If there is a problem here, I may just have the Lexus store take care of it during the equivalent of a 15,000 mile service, which is up soon. In any event, I'd like to have a look at the fluid myself.
You're not revealing that you are an idiot. Although you might be, who knows? You're just revealing that you never had to deal with power steering fluid. This is the resevoir http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html and the level marks are on the dipstick inside/on the cap. (cold and hot) Do not over fill. To make sure there is no air in the system afterwards just warm the car up, with the cap off, turn the steering wheel from side to side, all the way, a few times.
Old 05-03-11, 09:32 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Thanks guys.

Thanks guys. I just fixed the problem thanks to you guys. Fluid was low. Topped off with Dexron III. Buzzing/whining has disappeared.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by somnoboy; 05-03-11 at 09:37 AM.