LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 LS w/ Nak audio problem??

Old 04-23-11, 06:24 PM
djkneekap
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 92 LS w/ Nak audio problem??

Recently picked up a '92 LS with the Nak system. I'm wanting to replace the factory speakers with same size aftermarket speakers, including the 8" sub (blown). Problem is (I've searched forums and can't find a clear answer) the DRIVER door 4" and PASS REAR door "4 speakers have zero sound coming out. Passenger and driver rear work fine. The driver door tweeter works, however. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem...wondering if it's the amp or just the speakers.

Also, anyone know if you can just replace the sub with an aftermarket 8 incher with no problems?
Old 04-23-11, 10:19 PM
Extrudedco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tweeter is driven by the same signal as the 4" speaker in the driver and passenger door, so if the tweeter is working the speaker is bad. I used some inexpensive Kicker speakers to replace the 3 blown speakers in my 91, and they sound good. I had to replace a capacitor to get my driver tweeter to work properly. My sub was fine so I can't really offer any suggestions there, but it should be a relatively simple swap with an aftermarket unit.
Old 04-23-11, 11:22 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the nak system is a funky system. be that as it may,xtrude is correct, the front tweets recieve a signal from the front door speakers. the rears have their own. the only amp in the car is for the sub. but that nak has a power up relay in the headunit itself to push the amp.

just replace the door speakers,all are 4 inch, the sub should be a free-air,you will know this by the wholein the center of the magnet.

there are a couple of options..3 actually...for a system set up depending on your musical taste
Old 04-24-11, 09:37 AM
djkneekap
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all! This site is great as well as the folks on it....like family. I'll get the door panel off and test a speaker. Just wanted to make sure it was a simple swap to fix the no sound problem before I buy four new speakers for the doors. I've read the fronts are 2 ohms and rears are 4 ohm and to only replace with correct ohm speakers. Extrudedco, were your Kickers 2/4 ohm? Also emarknot, good lookin out on the open air sub...didn't even think of that.
Old 04-24-11, 11:00 AM
emarknot
Pole Position

too bad yore not in az, I have a perfectly good stock amp and sub plus 2 doors speakers. I have the stock nak unit just chillin in the closet too. id let you have em.
Old 04-24-11, 07:36 PM
djkneekap
Driver School Candidate

My luck! Maybe I should move to AZ! Beats the hell out of KC weather I'm sure. I have a free JL 8" sub. Has
a hole in the magnet. And is currently in a box. Do I need one without a hole??
Old 04-24-11, 09:36 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djkneekap
My luck! Maybe I should move to AZ! Beats the hell out of KC weather I'm sure. I have a free JL 8" sub. Has
a hole in the magnet. And is currently in a box. Do I need one without a hole??
get rid of the box and put the speaker in the stock location. ive read that there a lil confusion on the actuall true size of the stock sub. its supposibly an 8. ive read its a 6 and half or something like that. I think I even saw somewhere,that some had to modify the stock hole to fit an aftermarket 8.

try the speaker first in the stock hole, if you dont like it, put it back in the box and keep the stock sub out and use the hole as a port to let the bass into the cabin of the car.
and if all you are doing is changing the sub and using the stock amp, here is a super easy way to hook it up.......

in the trunk, left corner behind the carpet and mounted next to the gas tank is a silver box mounteded verticall with one wire pigtail connected at the bottom. this connector has a total of 8 wires total. the only ones yo need to worry about are the green ones. 2 total. the green withred is the negative, the green with the black is the positive.
you can cut the wires about 5 inches away from the connector and splice them to your new 8. and youre done. or.......if you dont want to cut any wires , cut the pigitail from the junk stock sub and splice those wires to the new sub and now you can just plug it into the stock harness. but the wires will run through the hole the stock sub was in. but the 3rd brake light cover will...well, cover it up.
Old 04-25-11, 12:01 AM
Extrudedco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used some 4 ohm Kicker DS400's. Don't see them on Amazon any more, but finding a reasonable substitute shouldn't be too hard.