LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coolant Flush Help!

Old 03-28-11, 01:56 PM
bees
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Flush Help!

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 99 LS400. After noticing some overheating issues, I first tried addressing the problem by flushing and properly refilling the coolant system. There are a couple problems I need help with.
One, I notice that I have no fluids coming out of one of the drain plugs (please see photo for reference).
Two, after I was finished draining the system, I tried refilling the system from the reservoir but I notice no drop in the water level. After removing the reservoir to clean, I notice there were lots of glitter, chunks of pebbles, and grim in the reservoir (I'm guessing previous owner used multiple types of Stop Leaks). The bottom hose (I'm guessing inlet hose) that goes to the water pump/thermostat (please see picture for reference) was clogged with the gunk.
There seems to be a new radiator replaced and I've tried following a tutorial (http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html) using the Prestone's Flush kit to clear up the clogs, but nothing so far.
Is there another way/approach to this? I want to be able to refill my coolant from the reservoir and not my top bleeder valve. Thank you, your help is much appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Flush Help!-drain-plug.png   Coolant Flush Help!-water-inlet.png  
Old 03-28-11, 02:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you dont fill it from the bleeder you WILL have air in the system...
Old 03-28-11, 02:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Ouch. As you probably suspect with the grime and coolant contamination, this may not be a simple drain routine.

How much fluid did you recover on your initial drain? The drain ***** are small so any particulate matter that is larger will not get removed from the system easily. You may have to remove the lower hose to drain the gunk in the radiator. Did the thermostat have any reside stuck on it?

Best suggestion from me is remove the lower rad hose, drain (Recover coolant of course.), new thermostat (You probably already did this) and refill system. Run it to cycle the coolant through for a week. Drain again from the lower hose and inspect fluid.

I dunno about the power flush of the cooling system that is available.

GL. I detest the stop leak/sealant stuff, just band aid for problems that invariably become worse.
Old 03-28-11, 02:51 PM
sethjon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Pure Drifter, I think this is the first time I have disagreed with you. If you fill from the over flow and let it run the air will work its way out. In fact, I recenly did mine and it was fine. I should also saythat I kept the RPM at about 1800 for 2-3 minutes and it immediately burped itself.

Last edited by sethjon; 04-19-11 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-28-11, 03:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i've done it 3 times on my '99 LS. (an once on someone else's '00) it always leaves a bubble somewhere in the system that invariably gets stuck in either the heater matrix/valve, the thermostat housing, or the water pump (causing cavitation until you rev the motor a bit, dislodging the bubble).

OP: sounds like you need to have a pro take the overflow lines out and properly flush the whole system out.
Old 03-28-11, 08:16 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by sethjon
Pure Drifter, I think this is the first time I have disagreed with you. If you fill from the over flow and let it run the air will work its way out. In fact, I recenly did mine and it was fine.
I guess there's a first time for everything. But...I do agree with PD on this. (from much experience) Although I have a 93, it's the same procedure. I've done a drain and fill on mine 4 times and I tried filling through the resevoir once and had to keep adding fluid every day for a week and still had air bubbles. When I used the bleeder, the other 3 times, it was full and bled all in one shot.
Old 03-28-11, 10:46 PM
bees
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I meant I wanna be able to top off coolant from the reservoir. As of now, the coolant I add into the reservoir does not cycle into the coolant system. I do think I need professional help..
Old 03-29-11, 03:14 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If it isn't drawing fluid from the reservoir, that is a lot of coolant that isn't cycling through the motor.

Are you are getting any coolant flow?
When did it begin overheating?
How long does it take from cold motor to get past the mid temp mark?
When was the timing belt service done?
Old 03-29-11, 05:44 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i usually just fill from my overflow then run the car on jacks in the front to bleed it.
Old 03-29-11, 05:12 PM
bees
Driver School Candidate

Are you are getting any coolant flow?
When did it begin overheating?
How long does it take from cold motor to get past the mid temp mark?
When was the timing belt service done?
I first noticed the overheating when I had the car idling at a drive thru. I'm pretty sure the coolant is circulating as I am able to use my heater and both hoses do get hot. And I think it warms up normally as it takes about 4-5 mins to warm up to the mid line (is it normal for the temp to go slightly above the mid line?). Previous owner said he swapped out the water pump at ~100k. It is now at ~158k.
Old 03-29-11, 05:41 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

The 98 normal temp is the two boxes from bottom and 1/4 of the third box and below midline basically and mine, my friends, my brothers do that and definitely there is not enough coolant inside as the hoses get hot but possibly there is still blockage and restricting water flow and thereby heating the car or a plugged thermostat and in your case gunk in the tubings and engine.

The coolant in total needed for this is around 11 liters which can be half water and half coolant as in UAE it is damn hot outside and cold is like 15 degrees centigrade but probably you need all coolant if in colder climates. But the amount give or take is same. So check on it. Hope this helps
Old 04-15-11, 02:17 PM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
I thought if you fill from the tank and let it run the air will be purged out. I have a 2000 and did it that way.
Old 04-15-11, 03:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

very hit or miss, only 100% way (and recco'd by both the service manual and every tech i've ever talked to) is via the bleeder.
Old 09-19-19, 11:37 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I would leave this link here
https://zinref.ru/avtomobili/Lexus/2...nglish/100.htm

Coolant Drain Union is all what you are looking for. In my 98 its right after the engine mount.

Last edited by Sherl; 09-19-19 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-21-19, 08:54 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Can someone post a pic of this “bleeder” I hear all about it on other posts but you old fellas just don’t like to post pics it seems..... 🤣 I always just fill from the res tank and run the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Flush Help!