LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

trying to define what model lexus ls400...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 04:19 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to define what model lexus ls400...

Well i dont know what model it is. But some of the options it did have was:

height control
adjustable sport suspension
nakamichi stereo
heated seats

i dont know what other options i saw that made this model stand out but those. Its a 1992 LS400 with like 136K miles on it and its SUPER cheap for the price. I want to know if it has a diff or no and what model this particular LS is because i have NO clue. Also would it be wise to use a datasystems controler for this or do they even make one? i heard alot of stuff on how datasystems controlers crap out alot.

anyways thanks for the help!
Old 03-23-11, 04:32 AM
Wanderson
Rookie

Default No model

No model designation to speak of, they're all LS400s, just some have a few extra options, and yours sounds like it got them all. All differentials are the same, that is, there's no limited slip differential available.
Old 03-23-11, 06:24 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The LS you speak of is a first generation LS400, one of the original big dawgs. The one you are looking at is loaded with the premium package and does have air suspension (height controller button is the giveaway). ANYTHING that is rear wheel driven has a differential (such as the case as the GS in your sig), and the LS is rear wheel. There is no LSD for that car. You CAN use a datasystem controller if you are looking to slam the car lower than the stock controls will allow. With the car being so old, my first concern would be the condition of the airbags, as they commonly failed in the older cars. They are very costly to replace and in most cases, when the air suspension stopped working, most just converted the car over to regular shock/spring combo (cheaper option). I would look in the wheel wells to see if the airbags are still present, or if it has already been converted.
Old 03-23-11, 07:11 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trukn1
The LS you speak of is a first generation LS400, one of the original big dawgs. The one you are looking at is loaded with the premium package and does have air suspension (height controller button is the giveaway). ANYTHING that is rear wheel driven has a differential (such as the case as the GS in your sig), and the LS is rear wheel. There is no LSD for that car. You CAN use a datasystem controller if you are looking to slam the car lower than the stock controls will allow. With the car being so old, my first concern would be the condition of the airbags, as they commonly failed in the older cars. They are very costly to replace and in most cases, when the air suspension stopped working, most just converted the car over to regular shock/spring combo (cheaper option). I would look in the wheel wells to see if the airbags are still present, or if it has already been converted.
Sorry i meant LSD LoL

suspension wise that was my biggest concern was the age vs the milage of the car as far as the air suspension goes. I would really love to just use a data system controller and just run some wheels but i dont want all that stuff screwing up on me just so fast. i hear the datasys module craps out ALOT.

also front end conversions. I dont like the 92 front but its ok. I dont really want to do ls460 or any 430 b/t the the years 01-06 b/c of the extra work involved. I dont mind the 98-00 convo. But if i come across a front end for cheap i might consider it. But i will keep a look out!!The motor doesnt crank but it clicks so i dont know my friend is checking the car. If anyone is wondering YES i did buy the car. it was only 400 bux lol

my MAIN focus as the moment WILL be a 2jzgte swap and a full interior swap to a 97 interior. Only bc there is a junk yard a friend knows about there is a 97 wrecked ls400. so here i come NEW interior
Old 03-23-11, 11:55 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by handoverfi
Sorry i meant LSD LoL

suspension wise that was my biggest concern was the age vs the milage of the car as far as the air suspension goes. I would really love to just use a data system controller and just run some wheels but i dont want all that stuff screwing up on me just so fast. i hear the datasys module craps out ALOT.

also front end conversions. I dont like the 92 front but its ok. I dont really want to do ls460 or any 430 b/t the the years 01-06 b/c of the extra work involved. I dont mind the 98-00 convo. But if i come across a front end for cheap i might consider it. But i will keep a look out!!The motor doesnt crank but it clicks so i dont know my friend is checking the car. If anyone is wondering YES i did buy the car. it was only 400 bux lol

my MAIN focus as the moment WILL be a 2jzgte swap and a full interior swap to a 97 interior. Only bc there is a junk yard a friend knows about there is a 97 wrecked ls400. so here i come NEW interior
the datasystem module is NOT known to crap out, in fact 95% of the time it's the factory air suspension that dies from people trying to use the module to ride low.

the controller is only useful if you plan to ride around at stock height and PARK low. even then, no guarantees as it comes down to the condition of the factory air.

the front end will not come close to bolting on, you will need a shop to custom fit everything, incl:
-hood
-bumper
-bumper support
-fenders
-headlights
-turn signals
-grille

the rest of your questions can be found via search.
Old 03-23-11, 08:36 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the datasystem module is NOT known to crap out, in fact 95% of the time it's the factory air suspension that dies from people trying to use the module to ride low.

the controller is only useful if you plan to ride around at stock height and PARK low. even then, no guarantees as it comes down to the condition of the factory air.

the front end will not come close to bolting on, you will need a shop to custom fit everything, incl:
-hood
-bumper
-bumper support
-fenders
-headlights
-turn signals
-grille

the rest of your questions can be found via search.

welll the datasystems not crapping out is good to know .. but then i guess i will crap out my stock airbags lol as far as the front end is concerned. i dont think i wil mess with it. the ol school front end kinda has grown on me..only thing i would do is projector retro with some clear headlights and some updated taillights.

does anyone know about the interior switch up? i found a REALLY good deal on the 97 model interior. but i dont think some things will fit up. they are differ models of course. anyways have any input?