LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission fluid leak - 91 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 10:44 AM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission fluid leak - 91 ls400

I have a 91 LS400 with 119k miles. I noticed transmission fluid from the circled area at the front of the transmission. What's strange is that sometimes it leaks, and other times it doesn't. It looks like a big job to repair. This started after the car sat around for 3-4 weeks while I was replacing the timing belt. I've only done some local driving since then and am wondering if it'll go away on its own once I make some long trips. Anyone ever experience an intermittent leak here before, or have any advice? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission fluid leak - 91 ls400-img_1096.jpg  
Old 03-18-11, 11:23 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

try some lucas trans-fix
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=9&loc=show
Old 03-18-11, 11:46 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could that be some spillage from your TB change? Looks like you keep the underside of the engine nice and clean. I would suggest a highway trip of at least a couple of hours each way, keeping an eye on it... then decide.
Old 03-18-11, 12:24 PM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping it was just some spillage, but it doesn't seem so. Just an update - I took it for a long drive, came back - and no leaks. However, I notice that if I just move it without letting it warm up, it will drip - for example, just moving it out of the garage and into the driveway.
Old 03-18-11, 01:34 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Are you sure it's tranny fluid? Or is your steering rack leaking and spraying back to there? I hope, for your sake, that it's not tranny fluid leaking there, b/c it wont stop, it will keep getting worse. That area would be the front seal on the tranny, which would mean taking the tranny out to fix it. It might be to where it leaks when cold but when it warms up the seal swells up to fit tighter. If you do end up taking it out make sure you also change the rear main seal on the engine while you're there. Personally I don't like any "stop leak" products but everyone has an opinion.
When you did the T-belt did you take off that plate to hold the flywheel from spinning to get the bolt loose on the harmonic balancer? If so, did you notice any fluid in there?
Old 03-18-11, 03:02 PM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by deanshark
Are you sure it's tranny fluid? Or is your steering rack leaking and spraying back to there? I hope, for your sake, that it's not tranny fluid leaking there, b/c it wont stop, it will keep getting worse. That area would be the front seal on the tranny, which would mean taking the tranny out to fix it. It might be to where it leaks when cold but when it warms up the seal swells up to fit tighter. If you do end up taking it out make sure you also change the rear main seal on the engine while you're there. Personally I don't like any "stop leak" products but everyone has an opinion.
When you did the T-belt did you take off that plate to hold the flywheel from spinning to get the bolt loose on the harmonic balancer? If so, did you notice any fluid in there?
Hey dean,
It's definitely not from the power steering. I checked the p/s reservoir and it's max as usual, plus there hasn't been any spraying around - it's all isolated right in the area I circled. I'm not looking forward to this repair, if I eventually end up doing it. I'm not sure how practical it would be for me to do it with only a pair of jack stands or drive up ramps. As far as when I did the T-belt, I used the schley 64300 tool to hold the hb in place, so I didn't peek in there.
Old 03-18-11, 03:36 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400vgb
Hey dean,
It's definitely not from the power steering. I checked the p/s reservoir and it's max as usual, plus there hasn't been any spraying around - it's all isolated right in the area I circled. I'm not looking forward to this repair, if I eventually end up doing it. I'm not sure how practical it would be for me to do it with only a pair of jack stands or drive up ramps. As far as when I did the T-belt, I used the schley 64300 tool to hold the hb in place, so I didn't peek in there.
Yea it is alot easier to do it on a lift with a tranny jack but, gotta do what ya gotta do. Once I did one in a friends back yard in the middle of a blizzard. We just put plywood all around the car to stop the wind. Man, those were the days. I'm not sure how high the car would need to be to pull the tranny but, if you do end up doing it, I'm thinking you could use ramps in front and stands in the rear. I've pulled out many that way. Never did one in an LS400 though. Two people makes it alot easier.
Old 02-17-23, 03:28 PM
93firstgen
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed

I have a 1993 ls400(non trac) and the other day i took it to work and on my lunch started my car it ran for a few minutes(maybe 5) and started puking transmission fluid from where the bell housing meets the transmission. i have bought a new used transmission but i’m afraid that just throwing a new transmission in won’t fix the leak and i’ll have to take the transmission back out and re explore to find the issue. i was wondering if anyone has had similar problems or experiences with their first gen transmissions like this, if so what all was wrong. also, ik it could be torque converter, rear main seal, or an o ring. also when i drained the current transmission in my ls it had zero metal shaving or metal build up at all, could it still be torque converter? My ls motor and transmission has 169k on it.

Old 02-18-23, 09:59 AM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by 93firstgen
I have a 1993 ls400(non trac) and the other day i took it to work and on my lunch started my car it ran for a few minutes(maybe 5) and started puking transmission fluid from where the bell housing meets the transmission. i have bought a new used transmission but i’m afraid that just throwing a new transmission in won’t fix the leak and i’ll have to take the transmission back out and re explore to find the issue. i was wondering if anyone has had similar problems or experiences with their first gen transmissions like this, if so what all was wrong. also, ik it could be torque converter, rear main seal, or an o ring. also when i drained the current transmission in my ls it had zero metal shaving or metal build up at all, could it still be torque converter? My ls motor and transmission has 169k on it.
Please excuse me for this Capt. Obvious question- are you sure it’s transmission fluid and not motor oil?
If it’s the latter there’s a very good chance the rear main seal has failed. Not a transmission problem at all but you will have to remove the trans to replace the $9 seal.
Old 02-19-23, 04:52 PM
93firstgen
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Please excuse me for this Capt. Obvious question- are you sure it’s transmission fluid and not motor oil?
If it’s the latter there’s a very good chance the rear main seal has failed. Not a transmission problem at all but you will have to remove the trans to replace the $9 seal.
i’m pretty sure it wasn’t oil because it was red. i may be wrong tho
Old 02-19-23, 09:06 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 93firstgen
i’m pretty sure it wasn’t oil because it was red. i may be wrong tho
Is it only wet in the area you pictured, or do you also notice wetness elsewhere, like near the front of the engine?

The power steering system should also use Toyota red ATF, so if one of those lines started leaking, it might fool you.
Old 02-20-23, 11:48 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

sounds very similar to this, with similar mileage:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...leak-help.html

other than the rear main seal (which is the engine side), the seal on the trans input shaft may have failed. remove the inspection cover and see which side of the bell housing the leak is originating from.