LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air Conditioner compressor not engaging in 50 deg weather - normal?

Old 03-16-11, 01:38 PM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Conditioner compressor not engaging in 50 deg weather - normal?

Hi everyone,
I recently changed my timing belt along with water pump, seals, idlers, etc. Since I have a 2nd car, I was able to do this in my garage after work over a period of 2 or 3 weeks. Anyway, I was driving the car today and decided to try the a/c and noticed that the compressor wasn't kicking on. The outside temperature today must have been about 50 degrees. My 1st question is, is the compressor always supposed to kick on, or does it depend on whether the cabin temperature is below the climate control setting? Also, if it is supposed to be on, is it possibly related to anything I did while changing the timing belt, or is it just a coincidence. Btw, I also haven't seen my electric cooling fans turn on, even after driving for a while and I suspect I may have a problem there as well, though the water temperature is within the normal range. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-16-11, 02:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If the temp setting is for max cooling, the A/C compressor should cycle in. Probably a loose connection and or the clutch went bye-bye.

Another probable loose connection with the fans. I haven't ever heard mine cycle on even when in Vegas during summer. Makes me wonder now.
Old 03-16-11, 03:05 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your refrigerant level. The first gen a/c compressor won't engage if the refrigerant level is low.
Old 03-16-11, 05:58 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Check your refrigerant level. The first gen a/c compressor won't engage if the refrigerant level is low.
Mine does, and it's empty, I drained it when I changed my heater core. It comes on with the front defroster all the time, even for the hot air.
You might have pinched the wire to the A/C when you put the fan bracket back on. I think that is part of the harness that runs through the fan bracket. Also, changing the T-belt your supposed to unplug the A/C and the temp sensor on the radiator, (that one is for the fans) did you plug them back in? If you worked on it that long (short periods at a time) you might have over looked those plugs.
Old 03-17-11, 06:03 AM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Thanks - after I posted this, I ran across your thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...r-problem.html

Looks like I will follow the same steps you took. It's just kinda weird that this started right after I changed the timing belt. Could be a coincidence, but deanshark has some good advice as well. I don't think I pinched any wires or left any unplugged, but I will double check. I definitely know that I plugged the radiator temp sensor back in, that controls the fan based on water temperature. Maybe it just wasn't hot enough for the fans to kick on as the ambient is still pretty cool.

Oh - somnoboy, I assume when your compressor wasn't kicking on, the fans weren't going on as well, right?

Thanks to everyone for your responses
Old 03-17-11, 07:50 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91ls

I've never noticed the operation of the radiator fan. I have no idea if it's on or off, or always on, or always off.

If you are referring to the cabin air fan: When I was having my a/c issue, the cabin air fan was working fine.