LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

OEM Navigation 98 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 05:26 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by neilprasad
The LCD on my stock nav unit started acting out. I'm getting a double din unit to replace it. I already swapped in a HVAC unit from a non-nav LS and it is working absolutely fine. I also purchased a (used) Beatsonic SLA-22 harness adapter. The problem is my nav system stereo connectors are not the same as the standard non-nav pioneer stereo so the beatsonic connector does not fit.

Has anyone successfully converted their stock nav to aftermarket double din or even to factory non-nav setup? I've read countless threads but no one seems to state a solution to this? One person did mention to replace the harness from the amp to the stereo to the standard connectors but unsure. Is there a harness from the non-nav LS that I can swap to make this work? Thanks.

Edit: I just read Hiroshi12's thread and looks like I have to give it to the stereo shop to make it work unless there is another way around it.
You already found the answer. I had to rewire a lot to use a new different navi unit. I'm mostly comfortable doing these type of jobs but I don't want to do it again.
Old 01-04-18, 10:40 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so if i understand correctly. My factory NAV setup on my 98 LS400 can be replaced with the setup in the image below. It all plugs right in and works just fine? thanks

Old 01-04-18, 05:50 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by saleenssc
so if i understand correctly. My factory NAV setup on my 98 LS400 can be replaced with the setup in the image below. It all plugs right in and works just fine? thanks
No, many plugs are not right in and you need to prepare different harnesses to complete the job.
The following users liked this post:
saleenssc (01-05-18)
Old 01-05-18, 04:38 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Yamae
No, many plugs are not right in and you need to prepare different harnesses to complete the job.
so if there is ever an issue with the 98-2000 ls400 nav systems, my only 100% certain option is to find another working NAV unit and bolt that in? which would require no altering of wires or plugs?

curious, just in case i ever come across a good deal on a working nav unit. Should i consider picking it up as insurance?

thanks for any input
Old 01-05-18, 05:47 AM
Yamae

so if there is ever an issue with the 98-2000 ls400 nav systems, my only 100% certain option is to find another working NAV unit and bolt that in? which would require no altering of wires or plugs?

curious, just in case i ever come across a good deal on a working nav unit. Should i consider picking it up as insurance?

thanks for any input
Yes, you are right. The most simple and easy way is to replace the Navi unit. Just remove the failed unit and install a working one. It is an idea to obtain a working one if available. Problem is that the map date is quite old now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
BNastee (11-03-23), saleenssc (01-05-18)
Old 01-05-18, 06:19 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Yamae
Yes, you are right. The most simple and easy way is to replace the Navi unit. Just remove the failed unit and install a working one. It is an idea to obtain a working one if available. Problem is that the map date is quite old now.

i never use the maps. extremely outdated. im just concerned about the radio and HVAC controls being tied into the NAV unit.

thanks for your input
Old 01-08-18, 11:43 AM
neilprasad
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i never use the maps. extremely outdated. im just concerned about the radio and HVAC controls being tied into the NAV unit.

thanks for your input
So I did this over the weekend. Replaced my Factory Lexus Nav system with aftermarket Kenwood Double-Din with Android Auto / Apple Carplay. The HVAC unit I bought from ebay for $50. Plugs right in. There are no wiring harness adapters for the Nav unit LS so I had to cut speaker wires from the stock amp and wire them directly to my Kenwood radio. Most aftermarket radios have built in amps for the speakers, mine had 4 outputs for each door speaker. Front tweeter are connected to the door speakers so no need to wire them. You do lose the factory subwoofer and my subwoofer is pretty worn out so I ordered an aftermarket one with an amp and will hookup to the Kenwood this weekend. The factory amp won't be used so I will take it out and sell it. All other wires I spliced from the Nav unit and connected to the Kenwood such as Ignition wire, constant power wire, ground wire, antenna wire connector was a direct fit to the kenwood so no splicing needed. A wiring diagram is useful here. I have the repair manual so I know what each wire in the connector is. That's about it. Only thing you'll notice is there is a noticeable gap between the air vent and the HVAC due to the stock Nav unit being a bit larger than the standard version so I'll see if I can find one from the Non-nav LS on ebay or try to fabricate one to fit. This job was easier than I thought all thanks to the manual. If anyone needs the wiring diagram for the radio I can post them up. One more thing, even though I don't have a subwoofer yet, the speakers sound so much better and crisper than stock. I'm happy. Stereo Model is Kenwood DDX9704S if anyone is wondering.

98 LS with Kenwood Double Din Stereo
98 LS with Original Nav system
BNastee (11-03-23)
Old 05-04-18, 04:31 PM
jsidesjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the info. I am in the process of ditching my factory Nav system on my 99 Ls400. I have ordered the non nav AC/Htr control unit module. Did you ever find a way to bridge the gap between the old system and new one? you indicated above?
Old 05-05-18, 06:39 AM
redsworld
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost done

Still working on the climate control but the navigation and audio work great. I also installed a naviks video input unit so I can use a back up camera that's displayed on the hu

malex818 (07-23-22)
Old 06-11-18, 12:43 PM
jsidesjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neilprasad
So I did this over the weekend. Replaced my Factory Lexus Nav system with aftermarket Kenwood Double-Din with Android Auto / Apple Carplay. The HVAC unit I bought from ebay for $50. Plugs right in. There are no wiring harness adapters for the Nav unit LS so I had to cut speaker wires from the stock amp and wire them directly to my Kenwood radio. Most aftermarket radios have built in amps for the speakers, mine had 4 outputs for each door speaker. Front tweeter are connected to the door speakers so no need to wire them. You do lose the factory subwoofer and my subwoofer is pretty worn out so I ordered an aftermarket one with an amp and will hookup to the Kenwood this weekend. The factory amp won't be used so I will take it out and sell it. All other wires I spliced from the Nav unit and connected to the Kenwood such as Ignition wire, constant power wire, ground wire, antenna wire connector was a direct fit to the kenwood so no splicing needed. A wiring diagram is useful here. I have the repair manual so I know what each wire in the connector is. That's about it. Only thing you'll notice is there is a noticeable gap between the air vent and the HVAC due to the stock Nav unit being a bit larger than the standard version so I'll see if I can find one from the Non-nav LS on ebay or try to fabricate one to fit. This job was easier than I thought all thanks to the manual. If anyone needs the wiring diagram for the radio I can post them up. One more thing, even though I don't have a subwoofer yet, the speakers sound so much better and crisper than stock. I'm happy. Stereo Model is Kenwood DDX9704S if anyone is wondering.

98 LS with Kenwood Double Din Stereo
98 LS with Original Nav system
I printed and took your post to my audio guy and happy to say had success doing the same thing for my wife's LS400. Added the backup camera too; she now has handsfree Bluetooth for her phone, great, new CD/DVD player.

We used the original speakers and added the amplifier for the factory bass speaker in the back. The sound is incredible, especially with the sound cranked up. I still have the working OEM Nav unit.
BNastee (11-03-23)
Old 07-01-18, 01:02 PM
Stanislav
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just want to remove lower part of this head unit and replace it with aftermarket radio. As I can understand 1st connector is for power, 2nd is for speakers, 3rd is connection with touchscreen. Problem is that when I'm disconnetcing 3rd connector - touchscreen and side buttons doesn't work, so it's impossible to use climate control. How to bypass this? Maybe it's possible just to connect some pins between?

Also how to know my stock audio system is with amplifier or without?

emahchi (03-30-23)
Old 01-05-19, 10:09 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jsidesjr
I printed and took your post to my audio guy and happy to say had success doing the same thing for my wife's LS400. Added the backup camera too; she now has handsfree Bluetooth for her phone, great, new CD/DVD player.

We used the original speakers and added the amplifier for the factory bass speaker in the back. The sound is incredible, especially with the sound cranked up. I still have the working OEM Nav unit.
Like 30mpg? Like how?
Old 01-14-19, 09:29 PM
neilprasad
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sherl
Like 30mpg? Like how?
Haha, I remember I took this snapshot on the drive from San Francisco to San Diego, CA. 500+ miles on a tank of gas = 30+mpg. Mixed city/freeway driving is about 22mpg though.
Old 01-14-19, 10:03 PM
neilprasad
Rookie

Finally got around to making a simple piece to fill in the gap left by the original navigation system. Just some wood wrapped in blue wrapper since my car has blue exterior. Held in place with glue. Don't know why these pictures look so huge! Android Auto rocks. Wish I could install this unit on my 07 GS350 but can't replace the built in LCD since it is shared with climate control settings like most luxury cars. Believe it or not, I don't even want to upgrade to a newer lexus just because I can't replace the stock system to Android Auto / Carplay headunit.

malex818 (07-23-22)
Old 01-16-19, 04:37 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Very clean,nice job.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation 98 LS400