LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air suspension...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-02, 01:44 AM
chliansh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension...........

From reading this board "after" I made my recent purchase (94 ls 400) I noticed most people avised staying away from vehicles equiped with this option.

I am wondering how many of you have hade an actual problem with this system? What were the signs? How many went bad? How much to repair? ect

Thanks

Buzz

Always a day late........................................
Old 08-24-02, 12:22 PM
gkw
Rookie

Thumbs up

My 91 400 has just past 100K and I still enjoy my air suspension almost every day. On the highway, I leave it in regular (soft) mode, but when I come to an off ramp or drive around town, I switch to sport mode. The only complaint I have with mine is that it won't switch to Low mode until I hit about 85, which is a little too fast around the Mass Pike and 495.

That said, I am looking for 98-00 LS to replace this one and I haven't seen any with air suspension. I also am concerned about all of the negative posts. Any other experiences?
Old 08-24-02, 01:47 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

The only valid reason to stay away from an older air suspension ls400 is because of high repair costs. Each strut is about $500 (parts only) to replace. Just a few years ago they were about $750 each. Other than that, they are great cars!

DD
Old 08-24-02, 02:23 PM
chliansh
Rookie

Thanks DD

Any hints on what you see before a failure? Justs the idiot light ?
or changes in the suspension feel?

Is there an average time span they seem to last? like say around
120K?
Old 08-24-02, 02:58 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Most common complaint is suspension lowers it's self when it sits overnight. The airbag part of the strut will slowly leak over a period of time. Then when the car is started, it pumps back up. At that point it's just a matter of finding which one is leaking. You won't see an idiot light for that particular problem.

DD
Old 08-24-02, 03:12 PM
gkw
Rookie

Mine actually seems to rise when I park it. When I start it up, it lowers about 2 inches. I just figured that was normal as it has been doing it for the 6+ years I have owned it.

BTW - I just found this club today and these forums are awesome! Thanks!!

91 400 all options
Old 08-24-02, 03:27 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gkw
Mine actually seems to rise when I park it. When I start it up, it lowers about 2 inches. I just figured that was normal as it has been doing it for the 6+ years I have owned it.

BTW - I just found this club today and these forums are awesome! Thanks!!

91 400 all options
Glad I could be the first to say

"Welcome aboard!"
Old 08-24-02, 09:12 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Air suspension sucks

My right rear air shock just died last Thursday. Whole car sagged almost to the floor over night. Go to take it to dealer to fix and I know it is gonna be very costly
I just wonder how long air shock suppose to last ?? My LS has only 72K miles., and how long the replacement is going to last?
Any body

So stay away from the air suspension as much as possible:eek: :eek:
Old 08-24-02, 10:56 PM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

well my car doesnt sagg to the floor i just do it to have the dropped look....i have 166,000 miles on all original parts and no regrets on buying this car...toyota engineering to its fullest.
Old 08-25-02, 01:55 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chliansh

There is no hint when the air suspension is going to fail.
Usually you notice your car saggs in the morning either in the front (if front suspension failed) or rear ( if rear failed). That is

The cost for the front air shock is about $900.00 each (parts only):eek: and the rear is about $800.00 each (parts only):eek:

So you got the picture

Oh seems there is no avarage life span of the suspension: I heard some fail at 45K, some fail at 100K, some fail 120k,
I think that depends on your LUCK

I think the LS is a very depenable car but if I have a choice, I would not get the one with air suspension.

Last edited by lexie; 08-25-02 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-26-02, 01:44 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I called Longo Lexus few months ago the front AS was $840.00 each. I called last week and the price went up to $1020.00 each.

dc
Old 09-17-02, 10:18 PM
LXTASY
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

75K miles and still going strong on my 96 !
Old 09-17-02, 11:31 PM
chliansh
Rookie

any after market options? can they be rebuilt? Anyone know who the real manufacture is?
Old 09-18-02, 11:34 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Sus..

I Have about 150k+ on my 95 LS w/air sus.. I have noticed that the front end drops over night, but other than that it works fine. If any of you guys with the A/S noticed a knocking sound when you have your foot on the brake driving over bumps, its the strut bar bushing. I'm not
sure if that's the correct name for it, but connects from the lower control arms to the front. When changing them be sure to have the manual or a certified mechanic (preferably a Lexus minded person). There is little gray box with a harness going to the engine compartment and a thin metel rod attached to the lower control arm, that's the sensor for the A/S. Loose the screw that's on the thin rod, never touch the screw on the sensor. That detroys it,
trust me I know. Both were tampered with. It caused the front end to shoot up
in the air like a 4x4. It cost me about $600 each, I had to replace the 2 in front, it gets better. There was only one in the entire country. I had to wait
for a month and a half to get the other one from Japan. I have a personal Lexus Mech. He had to release the air manually, don't ask how I don't know he did it, but still then I could not take a load because the tires would rub on the wheel well, the car will not rise. So you guys like myself with the a/s be very careful, I'm sure you don't want to have this nightmare. Other than that @ 150k+
the still rides like brand new.. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 09-26-02, 02:50 PM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

My '94 w/ 77k has the A/S and no major complaints yet. One time I did get a sag in the rear but it turned out the adjusting rod nut had come off and so the sensor had no position. Replacing the nut fixed it. BUt it seems it has always had one side or the other slightly higher in the rear, not sure why..

Quick Reply: Air suspension...........