LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

well, i need to find an ls with a bad motor for cheap

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 04:50 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default well, i need to find an ls with a bad motor for cheap

wed on the way home, i was involved in a wreck that pretty much totalled my ls. i didnt have collision, i was ironically planning to add it today when i got off work. anyhow. it was a front end hit. dont want to get into details but there were many contributing factors. first time i was ever in a wreck in a car with airbags. they scarred the crap out of me, but kept me from getting hurt worse. left shoulder still hurts alot. anyhow, we used a winch to pull the radiator support back so the radiator would come off of the fan, engine still starts and runs smooth so im good there. just need to find a 90-94 ls with a bad motor, preferably a 93-94. so if anyone knows of one in florida that isnt too far from spring hill let me know. i figure ill swap my motor and front seats etc.. if it has tan leather also and my adsus bushings etc... my tires are only 1 year old as well. damn this sucks. ill try to post a pic later.
Old 03-11-11, 05:46 AM
twofanman
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the collision and glad you are okay. Too bad another gen 1 LS bites the dust. I guess it dies so others can soldier on. And after all the work you did making it perfect. On the plus side, it’s great that your airbags worked. It’s nice to know that the bag in my 1990 might actually still work if I need it. Keep us posted.
Old 03-11-11, 06:17 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well it wasnt perfect yet, still had more to do. but theres tons of good parts and ill never get my money back parting it out, plus i loved the car so want another one. from now on though ill have collision insurance on it.
Old 03-11-11, 09:10 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. Glad the bag helped ya a little, those darn things can go either way, sometimes they cause more damage to the head and chest then if they weren't there. It even bums me out to know your LS is gone b/c I know what it's like to put so much time and money into a vehicle and love it so much, then it's just gone. Well, at least you're doing the smart thing and getting another one so you can use your engine and everything else ya put in it. I guess your MPG problem is put on hold, hopefully it will be better in the next car. Again, glad you're OK.
Old 03-11-11, 12:45 PM
williamb82
Advanced

yeah, it sucks. but ive got too much in the car to just part it out. if i had collision, id be getting a check and then would prolly just buy another ls in good shape and then part everything i didnt need/want from this one. it technically could be fixed, but by the time i buy all the stuff to fix it, i can buy a ls with a bad engine for far far cheaper. there was one posted the day of the wreck for $700 with a bhg. but by the time i saw the ad it was already sold. hopefully i can find another one in good shape with a bhg or snapped timing belt or something.
Old 03-11-11, 01:04 PM
Woozy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, really sorry to hear about ur accident. Im in the process of getting my 91LS done, so I know what you go thru fixing all the little stuff. Im almost done with mine, the body is near mint, and interior is great with the exception of some wear on the front seats, Im thinking of getting them recovered, just a $$ thing at this point. On the collision insurence point. I asked USAA my Ins company about that and they said If I was in an accident that the blue book is so low that it would almost always be a total, and i would get like 2500.00 for it.. i have alot more than that in it, but I decided to pass on collision Ins, given the cost. Just my thoughts on that. Anyway if you do pull the engine out of ur car, will you be parting out the rest? If so let me know as I need a few things that you may have.. My car is champagne with the tan leather. Also Glad you are OK...
Old 03-11-11, 02:07 PM
williamb82
Advanced

it depends what i use in the car i find. my front seats and center console were recovered in leather last year. mine was two tone, gold and chocolate with tan and chocolate interior. seats are tan leather. dash and whatnot are the chocolate brown. i pulled the motor and redid everything on it and just put it back in in november. ive done tons of stuff to this car, so most of it will be moved to the new chasis if i can find one.
Old 03-13-11, 03:03 PM
Woozy
Rookie

well if you have the pioneer stero, and do not need the subwoofer I could sure use one.. there are dam near impossible to fine!!!
Old 03-14-11, 05:35 AM
williamb82
Advanced

i dont have the factory head unit or sub. i have a jl audio 8in sub you can have for $20 plus shipping if you want. its 4ohm though.
Old 03-14-11, 10:25 AM
lex8000
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your collision, but glad to read that no serious injuries occurred....much harder to fix a person than a car.

I recall you posted in the ECU thread - if you do decide to part out and will sell the computer I'm interested.
Old 03-14-11, 02:22 PM
Woozy
Rookie

Thanks for the offer on the speaker, But i really want to stick to the original 2ohm pioneer spearker, so that it is an easy swap. I cant believe its so hard to find this darn speaker. I have searched nationwide at auto recyclers.. and no luck.. DARN!!!
Old 03-14-11, 04:58 PM
90wreck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Woozy
Thanks for the offer on the speaker, But i really want to stick to the original 2ohm pioneer spearker, so that it is an easy swap. I cant believe its so hard to find this darn speaker. I have searched nationwide at auto recyclers.. and no luck.. DARN!!!
Sorry to hear about your accident William
Woozy..send me a contact # via pm, I may be able to get you the speaker.
Old 03-15-11, 05:49 AM
williamb82
Advanced

woozy, why not just take yours to a speaker shop to be reconed? we have a place in tampa called the speaker exchange that can do it no probs.

as for the ecu, im gonna change the electrolytic caps first. i need to pull it out, then i can post the location numbers and values. just havent gotten to it. also, i found a v6 4runner 4x4 for cheap. if i dont find another ls400 soon, i may buy the 4runner, and just swap the 1uz into that. it is auto so wont be hard to adapt the ls a340e trans to the transfer case. and wiring wont be hard either since the trans is run from the same ecu as the engine. i think itd be a good swap. get rid of the iron block 12v 3.0l v6 thats 150hp, and drop in an aluminum v8 with 250hp. we shall see. then again, i have a guy that just offered to sell me his 91 ls400. its white 2 tone. only thing wrong is the drivers fender where the wheel hit it when a balljoint went out. depending on price i might buy it. if i do, the 1uz might end up in one of my mk2's, i already have the custom mounts for it after all.