LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lighting issues (sort of) please help anyone.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 07:46 PM
nickels626
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting issues (sort of) please help anyone.

I have a 1998 LS400 and i just got it back from getting the bottom of the bumpers painted and well now when i start the car up and put it into gear, a red light to the left of the green info screen lights up and the info screen reads tail lamp failure, the thing is though i went out and replaced all the bulbs and it still does it. could anybody help me figure out what it could be?
Old 02-26-11, 08:05 PM
dvourthis
Rookie

after you changed all the bulbs did all the lights work? brake alone, running lights, running lights+brake lights? and the dash light only comes on when you are in gear?
Old 02-26-11, 08:22 PM
nickels626
Rookie

yes the, lights work running and braking and yes the dash light warning light comes on only when put into any gear, also i replaced the third brake light, the one in the center of the rear windshield and it only light up when the brake pedal is pressed, is that normal?
Old 02-26-11, 08:28 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They either damaged one of the sockets or caused one of the wires to come loose from the back side of the socket in one of the lights.

My 90 did that where the dash light would come on when you put it into gear. The lamps were fine but I found a loose screw holding the wire to the socket. Tightening it up resolved the issue.

Last edited by AzHotLS; 02-26-11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-26-11, 08:29 PM
dvourthis
Rookie

well the fact that it only comes on when its in gear is strange...did the people that painted your bumper dig into the wiring? they might have ****ed something up. and to the best of my knowledge the third brake light is just that, a brake light.
Old 02-26-11, 09:51 PM
twofanman
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you visually confirmed that all of your lights are working? For my 1990, the warning light is an indicator for a dual system that checks both the tail lights and the brake lights. The system has a sensor which reads the amount of current being drawn. If a tail light is out, the warning lamp lights when you turn on the headlight switch. If a brake light is out, the warning lamp lights when you step on the brake pedal. Your owner’s manual has the details on this system.

The lamp in your car is being lit not because you are putting the car in gear but probably because you are stepping on the brake and one or more of your brake lights is inop after your body work. Hopefully it’s just an easy fix to reconnect it.
Old 02-26-11, 11:40 PM
nickels626
Rookie

(twofanman) i wish that were true but i already checked that and that came up perfect unfortunately and i think that it might be that the painter may have nicked a wire while putting the bumper back on like (dvourthis) said in his last post and also i pressed the brake a few times once i started the car before i put it into gear to check that too and it didn't come on, but once in gear the light came on so im stumped.
Old 02-26-11, 11:43 PM
dvourthis
Rookie

sounds like you got a gremlin..did it act weird in anyway before you had the bumper painted?
Old 02-27-11, 01:17 AM
nickels626
Rookie

no everything was working in perfect order i made sure and checked it out myself before i brought it to the paint and body shop that's why i think that maybe he accidentally nicked a wire or something like that.
Old 02-27-11, 04:32 AM
nickels626
Rookie

if anyone knows something that could help me figure out what it could be, please post your opinions or ideas for me to read i would really appreciate it. thanks everyone.
Old 02-27-11, 06:25 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by nickels626
if anyone knows something that could help me figure out what it could be, please post your opinions or ideas for me to read i would really appreciate it. thanks everyone.
Does the warning light also come on if the reverse light is burned out? When you put it in gear you do go through reverse before drive. Just a thought, check your reverse lights. If that is the problem let us know. Hopefully it is then ya don't have to hunt it down.
Old 02-27-11, 08:45 AM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nickels626
You already answered you own question:

"i think that maybe he accidentally nicked a wire or something like that."

You or the paint shop need to check the wires on every fixture that was removed.
Old 02-27-11, 02:12 PM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While in that third brake light housing, you might want to be sure both bulbs in there were replaced. If one of them is old, it will draw a different amount of voltage and cause what you are experiencing.
Old 02-28-11, 04:18 PM
nickels626
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Does the warning light also come on if the reverse light is burned out? When you put it in gear you do go through reverse before drive. Just a thought, check your reverse lights. If that is the problem let us know. Hopefully it is then ya don't have to hunt it down.
i checked that already too but it was a good thought
Old 02-28-11, 04:19 PM
nickels626
Rookie

Originally Posted by etex
While in that third brake light housing, you might want to be sure both bulbs in there were replaced. If one of them is old, it will draw a different amount of voltage and cause what you are experiencing.
i did actually that was the first thing i replaced.

Quick Reply: Lighting issues (sort of) please help anyone.