LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Goodbye Lexus ... Car got stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-02, 02:09 PM
flexlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye Lexus ... Car got stolen

Well they stole my 1991 LS-400 and it was recovered a day later. Insurance Co wrote the car off and I'm waiting for a settlement.

Car had brand new Tokico and Eibach suspension setup installed. Drove for less than 100 miles on that set up.

Anyway I had purchased and Alternator and a Power Steering Pump before it got stolen .... If anybody's interested in either, let me know.

danderson@trinjam.com

Last edited by flexlex; 08-20-02 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 04:58 PM
velandia
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy That sucks!

Sorry to hear your LS was stolen! I cant even imagine what a bummer that is ... could you give more details on how it happened - may prevent thefts of other members.

BTW, I thought Lexus had a pretty good alarm system and was difficult to steal. Does anyone know the theft rate for LS400's?
Old 08-20-02, 05:04 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theft rate for the LS is quite low (don't remember the numbers), and the factory alarm can be easily defeated in the first generation LS. It wouldn't take me too long to render the factory alarm useless.
Old 08-20-02, 05:44 PM
flexlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by hyperopt
Theft rate for the LS is quite low (don't remember the numbers), and the factory alarm can be easily defeated in the first generation LS. It wouldn't take me too long to render the factory alarm useless.
They took it for a joy ride, no vandalism, but they knew what they were doing. They went in thru the passenger door lock (I think the driver side door has to be opened with the lexus key or the starter kill comes into play).

From there, they took the entire ignition cylinder out (it's about 3 inches long, they left it in the car). That left a neat hole where the ignition used to be, and I guess they had some kind of hollow tool to turn what looked like the flat edge side of a screwdriver if it was pointed towards you from that hole.

They didn't even break the steering column lock ....
Old 08-20-02, 05:45 PM
flexlex
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: That sucks!

Originally posted by velandia
Sorry to hear your LS was stolen! I cant even imagine what a bummer that is ... could you give more details on how it happened - may prevent thefts of other members.

BTW, I thought Lexus had a pretty good alarm system and was difficult to steal. Does anyone know the theft rate for LS400's?
Thanks man, my wife took the car to visit her sister in East Orange, NJ where they steal cars like crazy...she forgot to put the club on and they got us.
Old 08-20-02, 06:02 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Flex

I am so sorry to here this. I just wrecked my 91 4 week ago and it hurts to loose something you have work so hard and proudly on.

Lets just hope the insurance take car of you and you get some kind of nice upgrade, maybe a 2nd or 3rd gen LS.

Good Luck

Jerry
Old 08-20-02, 06:52 PM
flexlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Horta
Flex

I am so sorry to here this. I just wrecked my 91 4 week ago and it hurts to loose something you have work so hard and proudly on.

Lets just hope the insurance take car of you and you get some kind of nice upgrade, maybe a 2nd or 3rd gen LS.

Good Luck

Jerry
Thx man ... I got a great deal on a 1994 bmw 325IS for under $4000.00 and it's on the road already, but I must admit I got a little misty when I had to go relase the Lexus from the body shop ... damn good car
Old 08-21-02, 01:45 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Any factory alarm is ****. Come to think about it, any alarm is ****. If someone wants your car, theyre gonna take it.

They can flatbed it, they can pretty much do whatever they want. All they really need is the VIN and a few other things that are on your car and they got a key!!!

Sorry to hear that though!
Old 08-21-02, 06:56 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't there a chip in the key that keeps the car from starting without the key transmitting the signal? If there isn't, what year did they start using the chip technology?
Old 08-21-02, 03:27 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by FusionMan79
Isn't there a chip in the key that keeps the car from starting without the key transmitting the signal? If there isn't, what year did they start using the chip technology?

I've learned that all you need is a VIN number and some ID, and you can easily have a key programmed, so they can just walk off with your car.

People who steal these kind of cars really know what they are doing. Sure, it is not as easy to steal as an Accord or Civic, but they know what they are doing. So a CHIP does not meen squat to them.
Old 08-21-02, 03:49 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that would require that they had some pre knowledge of your car. a lot of thefts are done on the spot, they see a nice car and get it. so the getting the key and such would be more like something from gone in 60 seconds
Old 08-21-02, 04:15 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Well, thieves who steal Lexus cars do not always drive by the car and think "IM GONNA TAKE IT NOW"... the smart ones plan it out. You think they drive around the city in a flatbed looking for a car to tow?
Old 08-21-02, 04:28 PM
flexlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Toog4me
Well, thieves who steal Lexus cars do not always drive by the car and think "IM GONNA TAKE IT NOW"... the smart ones plan it out. You think they drive around the city in a flatbed looking for a car to tow?
Trust me, these guys were opportunists. The car was never parked in that neighborhood before that night.

They busted out the passenger door lock and then the ignition. Looks like they used a snatchbar.
Old 08-21-02, 04:47 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by flexlex

Trust me, these guys were opportunists. The car was never parked in that neighborhood before that night.

They busted out the passenger door lock and then the ignition. Looks like they used a snatchbar.

Oh, now you tell me this... I did not see it earlier. hehe.