LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tilting wheel kills car

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 07:30 PM
johngibbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilting wheel kills car

I have been using different threads on this forum the past few weeks to get my 1990 LS400 to run. It turns over, but doesn't get fuel. Have checked and double checked the fuel pump, capacitors, relay switch, and put in new plugs and wires, but that didn't help.

Went back through and checked all the fuses and circuit breakers, and found that fuse number 5 inside the car was blown. Pulled it out, and the car started without it. While still running, tried to put in a good 15 amp fuse and the car would start to die. Drove it around for a little while without a fuse. Turned it off and it couldn't start with any combination of old fuse, new fuse or no fuse.

Today I grounded the solid green wire in the blue plug in the drivers side kick panel to bypass the theft deterrent system, and the car started. In fact, it would start and run well several times. However, the car died when I tried to tilt the steering column electronically! Again, tried several combinations of what had been successful, but couldn't get it to start and keep running. The closest I got was when it started and ran for a few seconds when I pulled the emergency brake release!

I'm going to look at the ignition for possible problems, but thought I'd post on here and see if anyone had suggestions... other than hiring an exorcist. Thanks!

Last edited by johngibbs; 09-02-15 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 10:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Ouch. So many variables. If the ECU is fixed tracing down the potential issues will be time consuming. My first thought is some critter has had a meal with the wiring harness. That aside this means means getting into the wiring harness to check continuity. The steering column would be a first start if the up-down adjust had begun to fray any of the harness there.

How are the tail lights and instrument panel?
Old 09-03-15, 02:32 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Must be a broke wire that makes contact when the tilt is in the right area. If I remember the security system will prevent the starter from running. So the wire in the steering is the likely problem. It would be the one that is hot in the ignition on position the one that activates the starter is okay as you say the engine turns. That same wire feeds the fuel pump circuits.
Old 09-22-15, 10:17 AM
johngibbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the 411

While following the above recommendations, I discovered that a fuse wiggled loosely in the panel (I'd previously removed an aftermarket CD player). Got that nice and snug AND replaced the negative battery terminal... and now the car's running well. There's still a draw somewhere, but the car moves. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-22-15, 11:23 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Wow with the original problems mentioned I don't see how that fixed the problem. I thought it ran without the fuse? And why was it loose? More details would be nice in case this happens to other people here.
Its like the battery terminal was the main culprit I've had that before too, maybe the extra draw from the tilt would do it. Glad its going okay.