LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just installed new TM sparks, wires,caps, and rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-02, 09:15 PM
Lvangundy

Default Just installed new TM sparks, wires,caps, and rotors.

JEEZ I am beat!!

I had the assistance of a family mechanic help me out, otherwise the cost would have been in the $300 range at a shop.

My back hurts like crazy..blah. well anyway. It was about a 4 hour job and I ended up with 2 extra screws..(can't be too good) but it runs fine and nothing seems to be loose from a visual hand inspection.

I really honestly can't tell the difference with the new torque master plugs. I'd have to guess that stock OEM would have probably felt the same as these do now. The acceleration is a bit smoother, and it feels more like I said, smooth on the highway.

I still can't chirp the tires off the line..I think I messed up my tranny by burning out too much ;-) I'm going tomorrow to the dealer to have them replace the fuel filter. I bought the filter from Carson toyota --thanks Steve! I think this may have something to do with the hesitation..anyway. I took a couple pics, but if I get them out of my camera I'll post!
Old 08-14-02, 06:19 AM
Lvangundy

Another note..the highway acceleration is much improved. Driving to work today I could accelerate as fast as I used to before when I downshifted, but now I get the same speed without downshifting. Something like that...;-)
Old 08-15-02, 06:28 AM
Lvangundy

Default AND

AND my fuel filter!

Dealer did the install for $42.

Runs better..but still slug off the line.
Old 08-15-02, 07:24 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity how old were your previous plugs? Were they new? If they were old and you put new stock ones in the car would be smoother as well. Do you think the TM plugs are really doing a better job or is it just because they are new.
Old 08-15-02, 08:05 AM
Lvangundy

The previous plugs were about 3-4 years old. They showed signs of really minor wear, two of them were slightly burned.

The original wires had been in there since 1989 and my guess is that they were worn or maybe had some small breaks.

I can't say about the TM plugs..I have nothing to compare them to against new OEM spark plugs.
Old 08-19-02, 11:36 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lvangundy

Are the sparkplugs under the black module looking things tht are bolted down with a 10mm hex bolt? I screwed out the bolt and started prying around trying to get the "black box" off. It was very difficult so I just quit before i broke something. Can you advise me?