LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

heater cuts out at low speed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 10:02 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater cuts out at low speed.

"93 ls400 with 247,000 miles. heater is just barely heating the air until out on road at 50 mph or more for a couple minutes, then heats up fine. as soon as you get to a red light, it cuts immediately back down to barely heating the air. as soon as you get up to speed, its fine again. no smells or leaks noticed. the cooling system seems to work fine; no fluctuation in the engine temperature. not running low on fluid. can't seem to find this problem in my searches. heater fan works fine, and flow changes appropriately with the buttons. any help?
Old 01-13-11, 11:18 AM
acidfire52
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have air in your cooling system. Check out lexls.com tutorials about how to bleep it.
Old 01-13-11, 11:45 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree with there being an air pocket in your system. That is the most likely issue especially if you recently changed coolant or refilled a low sytem (did you?).
However, there are other possible contributors. One being low coolant flow through the heater core because of a barely open heater valve. Or clogged heater hose. But an air pocket is the leading candidate at this point. You might want to replace the reservoir cap to ensure proper pressure on the system. Lots of threads on this subject.
Old 01-13-11, 03:13 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I would also have to say air in the system. Last week I posted, in a different thread, I had same symptoms after I changed my heater core. I bled mine and it seemed better, BUT, I can't tell ya if it fully worked b/c the car died a day later. Total different problem, not related to the heater core.
Old 01-13-11, 04:54 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

i'm about due for a cooling system flush, so i'll see if that does it.
Old 01-13-11, 06:02 PM
ntrsssgti8
Driver School Candidate

is it actually the heat that goes away or does the fan slow down when you idle down?
my fan slows way down when the engine idles down to 400 rpm were it idles but that is alternator related or a drain in the system that the alternator can't power at idle.
Old 01-13-11, 09:47 PM
V.I.P LS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you ever change your thermostat
Old 01-14-11, 07:57 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ntrsssgti8
is it actually the heat that goes away or does the fan slow down when you idle down?
my fan slows way down when the engine idles down to 400 rpm were it idles but that is alternator related or a drain in the system that the alternator can't power at idle.
This question ^^^ really needs to be answered first. If the fan speed does not change, but the temp of the air coming out of the vents drops suddenly, yes, that probably points to air in the coolant. But if the fan stops, then it could be an electrical issue.

My '91 is similar to the one mentioned in the quote - when coming to a stop, the fan speed instantly slows, and then instantly picks up as soon as my foot hits the gas to start. I would guess this is a programmed electrical switch rather than just a drop in speed with reduced alternator output voltage. Anyone have more details on this feature?
Old 01-14-11, 10:22 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

the fan is unaffected. the thermostat was changed about 5 years ago. this problem just started hapening about a month ago.
Old 01-14-11, 01:58 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

replace your thermostat and be SURE to get ALL the air out and you will have a working heater (I hope) (core could be blocked, but not likely)
Old 01-15-11, 08:02 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billydpowe
replace your thermostat and be SURE to get ALL the air out and you will have a working heater (I hope) (core could be blocked, but not likely)
Like ya said "not likely" about the heater core being blocked. If it was there would be NO heat at all. 99% it's just air.
Old 01-18-11, 03:01 AM
onyx10
Driver School Candidate

How does one bleed the system? I'm having the exact same issue...also do these cars take longer to warm up over time or is that just another symptom of air in the system?
Old 01-18-11, 05:34 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onyx10
How does one bleed the system? I'm having the exact same issue...also do these cars take longer to warm up over time or is that just another symptom of air in the system?
There is a 17mm bolt ontop of the thermostat housing you can loosen while the car is running to let the air out. Pic 5 of this http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html shows the bolt out, don't take it all the way out or coolant WILL flow everywhere.
Old 01-18-11, 04:00 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
There is a 17mm bolt ontop of the thermostat housing you can loosen while the car is running to let the air out. Pic 5 of this http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html shows the bolt out, don't take it all the way out or coolant WILL flow everywhere.
Depends on the year. 97 on down use the 17mm bolt, 98-00 use a 10mm hex bolt. You may not even have to mess with the bolt to bleed the air. The easiest way is to raise the front of the vehicle a foot or so. You could use ramps, jack or even park on a hill. This gets the radiator top (where it transfers to the reservoir) higher than the heater core for more effective purging.
Old 01-18-11, 07:31 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by randal
Depends on the year. 97 on down use the 17mm bolt, 98-00 use a 10mm hex bolt. You may not even have to mess with the bolt to bleed the air. The easiest way is to raise the front of the vehicle a foot or so. You could use ramps, jack or even park on a hill. This gets the radiator top (where it transfers to the reservoir) higher than the heater core for more effective purging.
First words in the first post, "93 ls400 with 247,000 miles". I usually jack it up, just to have it that much higher, and loosen the 17mm bolt till I don't see any more bubbles come out. Then, it's good to go. I always used to get air in mine b/c of a leaking heater core. (fixed)

Quick Reply: heater cuts out at low speed.