LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tell me why you joined this Owners Club?

Old 12-02-10, 08:39 PM
Jcp90ls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me why you joined this Owners Club?

I think most people join this club after finding it following doing an internet search.

I think most of us started this search after buying a Lexus LS for the first time and having questions about it.

Many (like me) are worried about their purchase or just wanting to get opinions.

Most (like me) not familar with the in's and out's of the site.

After searching many of these Posts it funny/sad how many of the newbies are treated by the older members.

You will see Threads from "Newbie" or ones from people that say "Need Help" "please help" and these post get very little attention.

However, posts that ask you to "post a photo of your car" gets 2500 replies.

Sounds kind of strange to me.
Old 12-02-10, 08:57 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Many of the cries for help would not be necessary if the newbies would do a search. then they could find many solutions to the various problems they are curious about. there is a wealth of knowledge on the forum, and for many of us we dont want to"go through it all again", when the answers are ready available... just do a search.
to answer your question, I joined to gain and share information about the finest auto ever put together.... the LS....
we like to get to know you by the Lexus you picked.... I have had 9 of them so far..
Old 12-02-10, 09:23 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

not many new developments on 20 year old cars. everything you need to know has been covered. research should be done before you buy a car, not when you discover you're in over your head.

on the other side, if you have a problem that hasn't been covered and you can not get an answer there's a good possibility that it is a unqiue issue.

lastly, this forum (or at least this section) is not as technical as some others i'm a part of.
Old 12-02-10, 11:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

95%+ of technical issues have been addressed, most of them multiple times.

generally, those fixes DONT CHANGE. so noww, why would i for example take time out of my day (which is busy enough as it is, especially during finals) to go and search for the answer you need, that i know is in the forum, instead of somewhat politely asking you to go search for it?

saves me time and energy, ensures that (once you find it) you get the complete fix and not just conjecture.

both the search function and the stickied thread at the top of the frum will help.
Old 12-03-10, 02:20 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default billyd

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Many of the cries for help would not be necessary if the newbies would do a search. then they could find many solutions to the various problems they are curious about. there is a wealth of knowledge on the forum, and for many of us we dont want to"go through it all again", when the answers are ready available... just do a search.
to answer your question, I joined to gain and share information about the finest auto ever put together.... the LS....
we like to get to know you by the Lexus you picked.... I have had 9 of them so far..
Billydpowell: I'm surprised at your response billyd, especially since I have found your posts very helpful and informative in the past. I'm sure that many of the common problems have been covered in the past and are accessible via "search" function. Nonetheless, us newbies like being guided through this with old, experienced hands who are generous and willing to give of their time to help those in need.

Frankly, I didn't think your response was at all christian or anything close to what god would do.
Old 12-03-10, 02:22 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default PureDrifter

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
95%+ of technical issues have been addressed, most of them multiple times.

generally, those fixes DONT CHANGE. so noww, why would i for example take time out of my day (which is busy enough as it is, especially during finals) to go and search for the answer you need, that i know is in the forum, instead of somewhat politely asking you to go search for it?

saves me time and energy, ensures that (once you find it) you get the complete fix and not just conjecture.

both the search function and the stickied thread at the top of the frum will help.
How about simply not replying, and letting those other good people who are generous with their time and goodwill answer? Maybe you should go back to studying for finals and ignore clublexus altogether.
Old 12-03-10, 02:23 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Jcp90

Originally Posted by Jcp90ls400
I think most people join this club after finding it following doing an internet search.

I think most of us started this search after buying a Lexus LS for the first time and having questions about it.

Many (like me) are worried about their purchase or just wanting to get opinions.

Most (like me) not familar with the in's and out's of the site.

After searching many of these Posts it funny/sad how many of the newbies are treated by the older members.

You will see Threads from "Newbie" or ones from people that say "Need Help" "please help" and these post get very little attention.

However, posts that ask you to "post a photo of your car" gets 2500 replies.

Sounds kind of strange to me.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Old 12-03-10, 02:30 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default blkonblk

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
not many new developments on 20 year old cars. everything you need to know has been covered. research should be done before you buy a car, not when you discover you're in over your head.

on the other side, if you have a problem that hasn't been covered and you can not get an answer there's a good possibility that it is a unqiue issue.

lastly, this forum (or at least this section) is not as technical as some others i'm a part of.
Dude, this forum is as technical as you want it to be.

It's amazing. Some of you here act as though the forum is a single physical room where only the "experts" should be allowed to talk or ask questions.

Guess what: We're in cyberspace folks. This "room" is a virtual one; the size of the room is infinitely large. See a question from a newbie that you deem to be "beneath you?" well, then simply ignore the post.

Want to make the forum more technical? Well, then start writing and explaining things in more technical detail. If it's too technical, newbies like me will simply ignore your post.

No harm, no foul. While I certainly am greatly appreciative of all the help I've received on this forum (resulting in the savings of much money), I wonder about some of those who complain about helping the newbies...
Old 12-03-10, 03:08 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

who r u somnoboy? u might wanna ease up on the verbal attacking..he asked for opinions he got em....all this from someone who has 147 posts?! some peoples kids i swear...beneath u ? seriously, how about tired of answering the same topics over and over and over. the first topic that comes to mind is the mind numbing topic of oil and/or fluids.
Old 12-03-10, 05:22 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default python

Originally Posted by python
who r u somnoboy? u might wanna ease up on the verbal attacking..he asked for opinions he got em....all this from someone who has 147 posts?! some peoples kids i swear...beneath u ? seriously, how about tired of answering the same topics over and over and over. the first topic that comes to mind is the mind numbing topic of oil and/or fluids.
Let me get this straight. Because you have ten times the posts that I do, you have more right/authority to post on this forum? Are you kidding me?

While we're at it, does anyone have an opinion on Castrol Edge 5W-30 in the first gen?
Old 12-03-10, 05:54 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Billydpowell:
Frankly, I didn't think your response was at all christian or anything close to what god would do.
as a christian, I'm a follower of God, I do not speak for Him. but you have the right to ask Him yourself. WWJD?
Old 12-03-10, 06:30 AM
e34nicatio
Driver School Candidate

I joined because I just bought a 93 LS400 that's been my mother's since 1992 (she's used it for a second car for 6 years and finally upgraded). It'll be used as my daily driver some days and an extra car other days... came on here looking for stereo information since the headunit does not work and I wanted to see what others had done as far as aftermarket headunits. Been doing nothing but searching and it appears all the info is spread out in a 13 or so page thread...

I'm e34nication on BFC... but apparently you guys don't allow as many letters in a username as they do.

My other ride:

The new ride (cell phone pics)

Last edited by e34nicatio; 12-03-10 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-03-10, 06:33 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

I joined because I wanted to learn more about my car which after having a drive in my boss's LS400 with 450,000km that drove like a limo I decided it would be a good car to buy and was floored with the amount of forums and sites - people love these things.

I posted a few questions when I ran into trouble and some friendly people gave me some suggestions. When I finally did figure out my problem (hood insulation sagging down and blocking my air intake and cutting my power in half) I made sure I ended my thread with the resolution so someone else wouldn;t have to spend a ton of money chasing the same issue.

Some kind fellow from VA was who tipped me off and I'm so grateful he saved me thousands and I met him through my thread on this site.

I like the place, glad to be here.
Old 12-03-10, 07:20 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

with all the tom foolery aside, I would like to add the fact after my 94 Acura Vigor was totalled (not my fault) and did not recieve much $$ from Insurance, I began to do some heavy research on (reliable) used cars. I discovered on multiple sites including Edmunds, the used LS series was the highest on affordable reliability. I researched the TSB's on multiple brands of cars and all used LS's has the fewest - some cars have up to 15 pages of TSB's compared to the LS's measley 2 pages. after reading from the Clublexus forums I discovered the maintanance and repairs to be very affordable. so I saved an extra $1000 to add to my Acura's $3500 payoff, and purchased a 95 LS400
278 miles away in Georgia for $4500 in 2008. one of the better more mature purchases
I have ever made.

in 6 months I will be selling my well maintaned 95 LS, and purchasing a 2006 LS430, because of what I learned from these Forums.

now from previous experiences from other Forums, Including the AcuraVigorownersclub -
I had learned to respect the other members and moderators that have been there for some time, and as a "Newbie" I took thier advice with good medicine no matter how Harsh it seemed to me - because "goodwill" comes in many forms, even from God, and his servants. (got your back BillyD)

I joined this Forum for it's wealth of FREE Knowledge and Repair information only possible by those (all you 1,000 plus posters) who have taken the time to make great use of the LIMITED SPACE in this small corner of cyberworld to make such awesome knowledge available to us - and we can help these guys out by using SEARCH - only then by exhausting this option should we - and all Newbies - post for HELP!!

I do like the posts of Pics and new Ideas that we can add to, but I dissaprove of those who join with a chip on their shoulder that complain when they dont recieve an answer in 5 minutes or so or gets offended at the answer they recieve....ok, rant over.

Happy Driving!
Old 12-03-10, 08:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcp90ls400

JCP,

You started this post after being asked to use the search feature because a very active thread on your topic already existed. While this is a valid discussion topic, you've posted it more as a protest thread... in the future I ask you to please use the report a post feature if you see a response from another member that violates our forum terms of service or damages our sense of community. The moderator team will review the issues in short order and take action if warranted as we did in your earlier MPG thread.

As in your earlier thread, I'll again ask our more experienced members to help out the newbies and welcome them to our community with helpful advice. If they can't do that, then I suggest they simply do not post.

If there are members that grate on your nerves, simply put them on your ignore list https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...?do=ignorelist