LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 06:28 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've seen 1uz's go 300k+ miles on regular 5w30 dino oil.
you could switch the rear diff to synthetic though; 75w90. the synthetic resists heat better. of course, i've seen those same 300+k mile cars on stock rear ends with regular dino rear diff oil too...
Old 02-05-08, 07:39 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil is a popular topic on this forum. I have used Mobil 1 SYN for years and am happy with the results. I never switched the diff oil though to SYN - maybe I will try that.
Old 02-05-08, 07:43 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the valvoline oil that comes out of the pump from the lexus dealership. all my other fluids are pretty much toyota/lexus stuff. i believe im on the regular 5w-30. it seems to be running fine and i have 200k miles on my 95 ls400
Old 02-05-08, 08:34 AM
docdgt@com
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"What oil to use?" seems to be a subject of great interest in this forum.

To add my $.02, I always use Mobil I 5W-30 in my cars, including my '97 LS 400. I've used it for many years (I always change it myself) and burn the used oil in my home heating oil burner with nary a problem either to the car or the oil burner.

I have recently started to use Mobil I 5-30 "extended change", good for 15k miles; this means about one change per year for me. When I do change it I notice that it is hardly colored at all. I think that speaks well for the engine.

To echo one of the above members' reply, the LS also does very well on regular mineral oil, I understand.
Old 02-05-08, 10:03 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the info!!!

I really appreciate it.
Old 02-05-08, 10:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it has been

ask the LS400 forum (not even all of CL, just the LS4 forum) for "oil*" without the quotes but with the asterisk and you'll find all the info you could ever want and then some.
Old 02-09-08, 05:30 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the the other people use mobil one since 1998 on my 91 LS 400 and now I use the new mobil extened 15,000 mile oil. I have changed other cars to mobil one at 120,000 miles and no problems. all new high performace cars come filled with mobil one and go 10,000 to 15,000 miles between change ALSO ALWAYS CHECK THE OIL LEVEL ABOUT EVERY 5,000 MILES OR WHEN THE OIL LIGHT COMES ON FOR ABOUT 2 SECONDS IT MEANS YOU ARE ABOUT A HALF QUART LOW. Lexus thought of everything I also use the mobil one tramsmission fluid being synthetic in my trans and power steering. Be careful of the rear end oil some use a special oil for the limited slip rear end the best oil for limited slip is redline GL5 for limited slip rear ends or just use the what lexus dealers use. For non limited rear ends I use the Mobil 70-90 synthetic oil in the rear end.
Old 02-10-08, 12:16 PM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position

Docdgt, how long have you been using the mobil1 extended performance for and how many oil changes have you done with it? I have 3 cases of this oil waiting to be used and I would like to know your opinion on it.

Switching from Castrol syntec 5w-30 to Mobil1 5w-30 extended performance
Old 02-11-08, 09:31 AM
SW07ES
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlike synthetics, there's little profit in dino oil so there's no big money to be made promoting dino or educating the public about how long a Toyota engine will last or how clean it will stay running dino oil. Long time engine rebuilders, however, are fans of dino oil. Here's why:
Attached Thumbnails What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)-dino.jpg  
Old 02-11-08, 09:54 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info on Dino oil and pic. I agree it is fine if it is changed regularly. I myself don't mind spending the extra dollars for Mobil1. I prefer it for the detergents and longevity.
Old 02-12-08, 06:52 PM
docdgt@com
Rookie

Default NJ240sxMan

This is my first fill-up with Mobil I extended change; it has been in the car about 6 months. I had not heard of it until last May; it seemed a good idea. Since I have used regular Mobil I 5-30 for so long I thought I'd try it; I have heard that Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW use it and they change it at the recommended 15 k miles.

From what you say in your post, you also have two cases of excellent oil; Amsoil. Why don't you use that up first before trying the Mobil. There are people who prefer it to Mobil, but personally I think it is only a matter of preference and the differences, if any, would be hard to quantify. Generally, the most economical place to buy it (in 5 liter bottles) is Wal Mart.

Good luck; you won't go wrong with either.
Old 02-12-08, 09:05 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You asked me how long I have been using mobil extended almost 8 months I drive about 3500 miles a month and I have gone the 15,000 miles and the engine oil was a little dark that is normal. Here is somthing interesting Mobil one used to tell people they could go 25,000 miles in the late 1980's and some people did and had no problems with thier engines also I buy my oil at Walmart in the 5 quart as the person above has stated. I also run Mobil one synthetic transmission oil in my trans and change it every 30,000 miles but I could go 50-75,000 miles with no problems. Since I live in Southern California I also put a transmission cooler on my 1990 Lexus 400 and the trans shifts just great. I recently got to see a ls 400 motor torn down you should see the crank bearnings they are humongus no car in the world has bearing like these that is why we hear stories of the engines going 550,000 miles plus. I was also told the Lexus 400 motor is the only motor in the world that can come from the factory new and put into and experimental plane and be FAA certified. Not sure about this story but I am not suprised if it is true. Its is said that the LS 400 series motor is the best that man kind has ever made to date. Mercedes and BMW are you listening. You can use up your ams oil which is also a great oil I use it in 2006 camary for the transmission it is the same as the type 4 that toyota and lexus uses in their trans I prefer synthetic oil in all my cars .Happy Motoring !!!!!!

Last edited by Bill Dowd; 02-12-08 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-12-08, 09:39 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just so not to start another thread on the same topic:

I am to pick up my 1994 LS 400 Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

It has precisely 228,000 Miles on the odometer. 120,000 of those miles were put on from 1994 to 1997 (all highway). The other 100,000 from 1997 till current date. Car has been garage kept and maintained by an ASE Master Mechanic (his wife drove it exclusively).

Given that history -- I've always heard that it isn't wise to put in synthetic oil in a higher mileage vehicle/motor due to seals/etc. (He changed alot of the seals out at 190k, but I'm sure something went untouched).

So let us pretend the motor has been maintained as a Lexus dealership would at regular intervals, and has used what Lexus puts in it (Dino oil) with Lexus OEM Filters.

A) Can I switch a synthetic blend at this high mileage?

B) Can I switch to full synthetic at this high mileage?

C) The mechanic says he always uses Lexus parts for everything, even the oil changes he orders or picks up Lexus OEM Oil filters. -- Given that: Is there anything special about a Lexus Oil Filter? What filter is best for this engine,.. especially if I am able to use Full synthetic?

I just want to take care of this engine as best as possible, even to go as far as to changing the oil/fluids more frequently than recommended.

The Synthetic extended mileage interests me just from a convenience standpoint. If it is rated at 15k, I would probably change it at 10k. I don't put but about 10-12k at the most on my vehicles a year.

If I can use extended use Synthetic, how long is it wise to leave the oil in the motor if you haven't reached the 15k, yet say it has been a year?

I'm not looking to push the limits, so if it would be best to get extended Synthetic rated at 15k, yet change it every 6months even if only 6-7k have been put on the odometer, that is what I would do.

Lastly, is changing your oil a little more frequently than:

Dino Oil Every 3k recommended (some say 5k) -- But instead changing it say, every 2k going to extend the life of the engine whatsoever?

Same principal applies for Synthetic and Blends.. If rated for 5k, changing at 3k,.. If rated at 15k change at 10k and so forth.

I know this is all covered somewhere, so links would be great if you don't want to spell it out.

However what are the recommended Intervals for all fluids in a 1994 LS 400? (I like to undercut intervals a little bit).

IE:

Tranny fluid
Differential
Oil
Brake
Power Steering
Coolant
and so on..

I do remember the mechanic I am buying it from mentioning alot of the fluids in Lexus's are very important, and some will be completely different colors than you are used to in other vehicles.. Is this true? *Obviously dino oil is going to be the same color.. but what about the rest? *

Thank you,
Old 02-13-08, 05:58 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Just so not to start another thread on the same topic:

I am to pick up my 1994 LS 400 Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

It has precisely 228,000 Miles on the odometer. 120,000 of those miles were put on from 1994 to 1997 (all highway). The other 100,000 from 1997 till current date. Car has been garage kept and maintained by an ASE Master Mechanic (his wife drove it exclusively).

Given that history -- I've always heard that it isn't wise to put in synthetic oil in a higher mileage vehicle/motor due to seals/etc. (He changed alot of the seals out at 190k, but I'm sure something went untouched).

So let us pretend the motor has been maintained as a Lexus dealership would at regular intervals, and has used what Lexus puts in it (Dino oil) with Lexus OEM Filters.

A) Can I switch a synthetic blend at this high mileage?

B) Can I switch to full synthetic at this high mileage?

C) The mechanic says he always uses Lexus parts for everything, even the oil changes he orders or picks up Lexus OEM Oil filters. -- Given that: Is there anything special about a Lexus Oil Filter? What filter is best for this engine,.. especially if I am able to use Full synthetic?

I just want to take care of this engine as best as possible, even to go as far as to changing the oil/fluids more frequently than recommended.

The Synthetic extended mileage interests me just from a convenience standpoint. If it is rated at 15k, I would probably change it at 10k. I don't put but about 10-12k at the most on my vehicles a year.

If I can use extended use Synthetic, how long is it wise to leave the oil in the motor if you haven't reached the 15k, yet say it has been a year?

I'm not looking to push the limits, so if it would be best to get extended Synthetic rated at 15k, yet change it every 6months even if only 6-7k have been put on the odometer, that is what I would do.

Lastly, is changing your oil a little more frequently than:

Dino Oil Every 3k recommended (some say 5k) -- But instead changing it say, every 2k going to extend the life of the engine whatsoever?

Same principal applies for Synthetic and Blends.. If rated for 5k, changing at 3k,.. If rated at 15k change at 10k and so forth.

I know this is all covered somewhere, so links would be great if you don't want to spell it out.

However what are the recommended Intervals for all fluids in a 1994 LS 400? (I like to undercut intervals a little bit).

IE:

Tranny fluid
Differential
Oil
Brake
Power Steering
Coolant
and so on..

I do remember the mechanic I am buying it from mentioning alot of the fluids in Lexus's are very important, and some will be completely different colors than you are used to in other vehicles.. Is this true? *Obviously dino oil is going to be the same color.. but what about the rest? *

Thank you,

man you ask a lot of questions! that's good, i'd rather answer questions from people who want to know instead of having poeople go forth with misinformation or none at all.

don't do the syn. blend. either go dino or full synthetic. your choice; if the PO changed the front and rear mains, cam seals and valve cover gaskets, then you'll be fine. if it's not leaking now, it won't from synthetic.

oil filters: i really dont know what the difference is between a lexus/toyota filter and a good aftermarket like wix. maybe someone has definitive results from a test somewhere. i buy aftermarkets, like wix, purolator, bosch. don't get fram, i remember reading somewhere they were junk. at least for turbo mitsu's they are.

frequency for oil changes. i dont' play around with that much., i use dino and do it at 5k. i suppose 15k on some syns. would work according to the research, but that's over a year of driving for me; i'd rather have fresh oil in there more often. thats' just me. i haven't seen any cars yet doing thiese 15k oil changes with a lot of mileso n them, so i can't say for sure how well it works. i know i've seen ls's with 300k plus running fine on 5k mile dino oil changes...

i do tranny, diff, coolant and power steering at 30k. brake fluid i do at 15k, brake fluid is hygroscopic; it absorbs moisture from the air. moisture causes brake components to fail. change that brake fluid!
Old 02-13-08, 02:30 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok --

I get your point on the subject, (I have my own opinions, but when I'm asking questions I don't put them out there as it convolutes an honest answer)

You don't use the sythetic stuff, you stick to compacted bones and stuff Always healthy to throw fossils into our engines, good for the lifters, no?

Seriously, I get ya, you have seen data on regular dino oil, even at 5k intervals, instead of 3k intervals (which we know is all a big ploy for shops to just get a little more income.. hehe) -- go many , many hundreds of thousands of miles without problems.

I'm sure someone has run full sythetic (not extended of course) , but full synthetic from first non factory oil till current day. (if it is still alive) -- Synthetic was around in 1990, I remember it Be a good case to research.

Though I am on the fence now.

I think I will ultimately end up sticking to the regular Dino oil, and change it every 3k. (Mechanic even said 5k was recommended,.. and he has no reason to tell me to wait longer, if anything he should say 3k) -- So there seems to be strong backing on the 5k on good decent dino oil.

Though I will always tell my Girlfriend/one day wife, family members and so on to change their oil at 3k.

Because 3k will end up being 6k for alot of them hehe.. Tell them 5k it might end up being 12k. String a few 12k+'s on dino along and you might start having some problems. I can see the ad now:

1990 LS 400 FS -- Only changed the oil 18 times!

So to cover the rest simply,..

Oil -- 3-5k on Dino -- (Synth, whatever it recommends)

Coolant/PS/Differential/Tranny = Every 30,000 (30k) (every 6 to 10 oil changes, about once every 2-3yrs)

Brake fluid = 15,000 (15k) (Evey 3 oil changes, or 5 depending) (About once a year)

Sounds reasonable, the only one that stuck out at me was the Brake fluid interval.

That sounds mighty often for (DOT the best dot in the world) fluid

I've got to admit, my last vehicle I didn't change the brake fluid except for when I put new pads and rotors (and had a mechanic throw in a master cylinder) in 2002. It went from 02 to current (is sold now) -- With the same Brake fluid.

I did check it, the color, and level. Never had to top if off, and the color was a light brown as if it were close to new.

I bet that stuff had 40-55,000 Miles on it, but it never acted up.

Oil & Filter(Dino)- 5k
PS/Tranny/Differential/Coolant - 30k
Brake - 15k

Anyone disagree, and is that brake fluid interval being really conservative, or is that pretty standard?

Thanks, and yes, I ask alot of questions -- I soak in information like a sponge, always have.. So eventually you will see me be on the reciprocating side of this. I am treating this 'Lexus' as if I didn't know anything about cars, I'm trying *not* to apply my general car knowledge to it for a reason.

Quick Reply: What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)