LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-04, 04:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Mine has devloped some new noises over certain roads. Sharp road variations will bring a "clunk" in the rear. I was under it this afternoon and I suspect it is the swaybar mounting rods that connect to the lower arm, it seemed pretty loose. Alternately, the rear strut rod bushings may be showing their wear too. That or...

<sigh> These little noises are irritating. The first car I have lowered that has had such noises. Fortunately it is just over these harsh bumps...otherwise, it is fine. Like a pavement change that drops 2" abruptly, the front is fine.

Last edited by RA40; 04-09-04 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-09-04, 09:17 AM
RUDENESS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil question

im using synthetic oil in my 91 LS 400 (180,000 miles) do u have to change synthetic oil every 3000 miles or can you go longer with it??
Old 10-09-04, 09:41 AM
houstonnw
Rookie

I've been seeing the same Lexus Service Advisor for 6-8 years. I asked him about oil changes on my new LS. He said that they have a bunch of cars over 200K miles with 5K oil change intervals and dino oil.

He convinced me not to use synthetic. However, if you do, 5K miles would be the minimum between oil changes IMO.
Old 10-09-04, 12:59 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mobile 1 in my LS430. Asked the dealer, he said I can use synthetic oil, but unless I tow with a car or drive under some extremely difficult conditions the sunthetic is not necessary, however I decide to go with Mobile1 anyway. Can't hurt. I found the car is running just as good with it if not better then with conventional oil. I do 7500 mile intervals.
Old 10-09-04, 03:46 PM
SRK
Driver

It is beyond strange how dealer guys would advise not to use synthetic. Considering that the 1UZ-FE block does not permit ANY overboring, and that any oil related damage would involve a complete replacement of the engine, why not use the best oil possible? What is the cost difference? Maybe $30.00 a year? To protect an engine that costs tens of thousands to replace? The transmission is designed to run on synthetic - it's not like this is anything new to Lexus technicians. Why not the engine oil?
I think the ice in my Scotch cost more than $30.00 a year. That's like two good cigars. Big deal.
Old 10-09-04, 05:01 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SRK
It is beyond strange how dealer guys would advise not to use synthetic. Considering that the 1UZ-FE block does not permit ANY overboring, and that any oil related damage would involve a complete replacement of the engine, why not use the best oil possible? What is the cost difference? Maybe $30.00 a year? To protect an engine that costs tens of thousands to replace? The transmission is designed to run on synthetic - it's not like this is anything new to Lexus technicians. Why not the engine oil?
I think the ice in my Scotch cost more than $30.00 a year. That's like two good cigars. Big deal.
just use a GOOD oil with a good additive package, and OEM Toyota or a GOOD aftermarket filter, no Fram garbage.
Old 01-13-05, 10:23 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil in 99 LS

Hey,

After reading I am just going to go ahead and use the synthetic motor oil in my 99 LS400 w/ 70k miles. Should I go ahead and get the 5w-30 or should I get something different? Its ok to drain the current oil and re-fill with synthetic right? There isn't any type of flush that is needed, correct?

-Jason
Old 01-13-05, 10:44 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Hey,

After reading I am just going to go ahead and use the synthetic motor oil in my 99 LS400 w/ 70k miles. Should I go ahead and get the 5w-30 or should I get something different? Its ok to drain the current oil and re-fill with synthetic right? There isn't any type of flush that is needed, correct?

-Jason
Yes, you'll be fine switching right over to 100% full synthetic oil, no flushing of any kind is needed.
Some say use a synthetic blend before switching over to full synthetic because the seals/gaskets might leak but I switched directly over a number of years ago and experienced no problems at all.

I would use 10w-30 but you'll be fine with 5w-30 as well.
Don't forget a new filter.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 01-13-05 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-14-05, 03:07 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by SharpLS-96
Yes, you'll be fine switching right over to 100% full synthetic oil, no flushing of any kind is needed.
Some say use a synthetic blend before switching over to full synthetic because the seals/gaskets might leak but I switched directly over a number of years ago and experienced no problems at all.

I would use 10w-30 but you'll be fine with 5w-30 as well.
Don't forget a new filter.
I agree....if you burn any oil with 'dino' oil, I would use the 10W 30 grade instead.....it you go to www.mobil1.com it has the recommended grade for your year of Lexus.
Old 01-14-05, 04:42 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey,

-Jason
I used Mobile 1 5w-30 after I got my first LS4 with 54K miles and didn't burn much oil between oil changes when I traded it around 95K miles.
Old 01-15-05, 07:01 AM
skytrain4
Driver School Candidate

Default Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil

I recommend Amsoil. I've been using Amsoil in my cars for almost 10 years now, with no regrets. I use 5W30. They have a 25000 mile oil now. The oil gets dirty, but the viscosity does not break down. When I buy a used car, I use an oil flush from Autozone before putting the Amsoil in, just to clean any garbage out. If you don't use a flush, the Amsoil will work all that garbage loose and you will have dirty oil quickly.

BTW, not only do I change the engine oil, I also change the transmission fluid and rear end lube too. I buy 16 quarts of Amsoil transmission fluid and take it to a quicky oil change shop and have them do a complete transmission flush, replacing ALL the transmission fluid with Amsoil. After doing the flush, I have the transmission pan dropped and filter replaced and pan cleaned out. Doing all of the above may be expensive up front, but the cost of replacing or rebuilding a transmission is much more expensive! I think of it as insurance and peace of mind.

I purchased a 1990 LS400 with 182000 miles on it December 2002, and immediately switched to Amsoil fluids. I just sold it December 2004 with 239000 on it. No problems. I drove it for 2 years and sold it for $1000 less than I paid for it. Other than replacing the fluids, I only replaced the tires and brake pads. I just purchased a 1992 LS400 with 98000 miles on it. Again, I immediately changed all the fluids.

You can find an Amsoil Dealer near you, or go to www.amsoil.com and order directly from them. I'm not an Amsoil dealer or affiliated with Amsoil in any way, other than using their products.
Old 01-15-05, 09:15 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by skytrain4
I recommend Amsoil. I've been using Amsoil in my cars for almost 10 years now, with no regrets. I use 5W30. They have a 25000 mile oil now. The oil gets dirty, but the viscosity does not break down. When I buy a used car, I use an oil flush from Autozone before putting the Amsoil in, just to clean any garbage out. If you don't use a flush, the Amsoil will work all that garbage loose and you will have dirty oil quickly.

BTW, not only do I change the engine oil, I also change the transmission fluid and rear end lube too. I buy 16 quarts of Amsoil transmission fluid and take it to a quicky oil change shop and have them do a complete transmission flush, replacing ALL the transmission fluid with Amsoil. After doing the flush, I have the transmission pan dropped and filter replaced and pan cleaned out. Doing all of the above may be expensive up front, but the cost of replacing or rebuilding a transmission is much more expensive! I think of it as insurance and peace of mind.

I purchased a 1990 LS400 with 182000 miles on it December 2002, and immediately switched to Amsoil fluids. I just sold it December 2004 with 239000 on it. No problems. I drove it for 2 years and sold it for $1000 less than I paid for it. Other than replacing the fluids, I only replaced the tires and brake pads. I just purchased a 1992 LS400 with 98000 miles on it. Again, I immediately changed all the fluids.

You can find an Amsoil Dealer near you, or go to www.amsoil.com and order directly from them. I'm not an Amsoil dealer or affiliated with Amsoil in any way, other than using their products.
A complete (100%) tranny flush is a very wise idea as well......I do this everythime I need a fluid change.
Old 01-15-05, 09:54 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Weird Thing, I just put in synthetic oil 5w-30 today and for a quick second after about 30 mins of driving it, the check oil pressure light came on and then went right back off. Any ideas? a
Old 01-15-05, 12:07 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird Thing, I just put in synthetic oil 5w-30 today and for a quick second after about 30 mins of driving it, the check oil pressure light came on and then went right back off. Any ideas? a
Double check your oil level and make sure you have the proper amount in. 5-1/2 quarts.
What type of oil filter did you use?
Old 01-15-05, 12:28 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by SharpLS-96
Double check your oil level and make sure you have the proper amount in. 5-1/2 quarts.
What type of oil filter did you use?
Agreed, as Sharp said.....what oil filter?

Quick Reply: What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)