LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Advice on Lexus LS400 Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 04:25 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JetCat
AlaskanLS ... may I suggest to check and see if your coil wires are ok?

As for me, I had one on the driver side short out against the block ... it had been rubbing there for years ... I had no idea this was the case. I was able to do a temp repair on the wire and get the car going again .... however I ended up driving the car for way too long with the busted coil wire, thus dumping raw fuel through the exhaust and thus screwing up my cat on the driver side. I parked my car and stopped using it. Now I am finally getting around to fixing it all up .... so I also need some new cats; in this case I have to buy some that are legal in California.

I wonder what is the highest quality after market unit available? I have no idea, but maybe we can get lucky and someone will chime-in on this ... it sure would help. If it was any other car it probably would not matter so much .... but geeeze ... give me a break ... the actual Lexus replacement is insane, crazy expensive -- -- -- $$$$$$

Anyways ... I would for sure be checking your coil wires .... if I am not mistaken it is actually possible to buy just a single coil wire from your dealer .... if needed.
I found the problem and got it fixed long ago. It was driver side stripped ignition coil high tension wire. After replacing it the, it started running smooth. You are right about the coil wire. It had a kink and wasn't visible to my eye but after disassembling 25% of engine, I found it the hard way.
Old 02-08-18, 10:30 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JetCat
.... so I also need some new cats; in this case I have to buy some that are legal in California.

I wonder what is the highest quality after market unit available? I have no idea, but maybe we can get lucky and someone will chime-in on this ... it sure would help. If it was any other car it probably would not matter so much .... but geeeze ... give me a break ... the actual Lexus replacement is insane, crazy expensive -- -- -- $$$$$$...
I'm still on my originals, but be warned, here in the DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia), they are exceptionally stringent on cat inspection for the smog checks. Before buying aftermarket, I'd check as carefully as you can that it will pass the CA smog visual inspection where they read the numbers stamped into the cat.

BTW, good call on the ignition coil wire - you were right.