LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 ls Purchase - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-10, 01:25 AM
rabbits
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ls Purchase - advice needed

Hi guys,

I posted a while back about a purchase. Now I am close to making one. I offered $3000 for a 96 ls with 195K on it. Right now it's $3000 but I told the guy I would do $3250 as he was looking to trade it on a newer ls430 at a dealer.

He came back and said if I do $3500 he will throw it four winter tires.

I ran the maintenance at the lexus driver site and it is really good and up to date, however I don't think the timing belt has been done a second time. It shows the 90K service way back when and then shows recently that the serpentine belt was changed (which is not the same thing correct?).

So in light of that, I guess I will have to do that maintanance soon and have those costs to worry about.

My additional costs will be about $500 to go and get it and another $650 in taxes to import it (I'm in Canada).

Is this still a good deal (keep in mind that they're expensive up in Canada)? I think it's a good deal still but am worried about that belt. Where is a good place to order the parts I will need? Perhaps I will try myself. I could buy them and ship them to his house so I can bring them back with me.

Last thing, how do you know if a lexus ls has air shocks? I know those are expensive to replace. Do they all come with them or just some? Can I tell by the VIN?

Thanks for the advice guys, really want to get that first lexus!!
Old 10-09-10, 06:41 AM
uuuuu
Rookie

Originally Posted by rabbits
Hi guys,

I posted a while back about a purchase. Now I am close to making one. I offered $3000 for a 96 ls with 195K on it. Right now it's $3000 but I told the guy I would do $3250 as he was looking to trade it on a newer ls430 at a dealer.

He came back and said if I do $3500 he will throw it four winter tires.
Tires with rims? What condition? You may be able to get a set of 4 new winter tires for the extra $250 that he's asking.

I ran the maintenance at the lexus driver site and it is really good and up to date, however I don't think the timing belt has been done a second time. It shows the 90K service way back when and then shows recently that the serpentine belt was changed (which is not the same thing correct?).
Correct, timing belt is not the same thing as serpentine belt.

So in light of that, I guess I will have to do that maintanance soon and have those costs to worry about.

My additional costs will be about $500 to go and get it and another $650 in taxes to import it (I'm in Canada).
I think there are vehicle emissions standards in Ontario, Canada. You may need to factor in the costs of getting the car compliant. Where are you buying the car from? Maybe the seller can provide the car's last emissions inspection report, if it had one.

Is this still a good deal (keep in mind that they're expensive up in Canada)? I think it's a good deal still but am worried about that belt. Where is a good place to order the parts I will need? Perhaps I will try myself. I could buy them and ship them to his house so I can bring them back with me.
Be alert when you test drive it. Listen for everything and only turn on the radio to see that it works. Inspect it well and then you can make a better decision on whether or not it is a good deal. And remember that you can walk away at any time.

Why would you ship the timing belt to his house? In case the belt breaks on your way back up to Canada? It's hard enough changing the belt in a garage, let alone on the side of a highway.

Last thing, how do you know if a lexus ls has air shocks? I know those are expensive to replace. Do they all come with them or just some? Can I tell by the VIN?
I think it has air shocks if the center console area near the shifter has adjustable suspension options (like "High" or "sport").
Old 10-09-10, 08:31 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

It seems like I've said it 100 times on these forums -- timing belts on Lexus LS cars almost never break from wear or fatigue. They fail when another part in the timing system fails -- an idler or tensioner for example or a water pump which is what "took out" the timing belt on the 90 LS I had at around 75,000 miles. The timing belt itself is the least of your worries.

I assume you will have to add DRL and do a couple of other minor modifications. Do you have a complete list of the required modifications?

This seems like an awfully low value car to import into Canada but maybe people do it. My Ontario relatives sometimes import U.S. cars but the cars they have imported have been nearly new which means that the total import costs, including modifications, are a relatively small percentage of the total car cost.
Old 10-09-10, 08:40 AM
rabbits
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uuuuu
Tires with rims? What condition? You may be able to get a set of 4 new winter tires for the extra $250 that he's asking.
He said 16" tires so I presume not on rims but he was not specific. He said he bought the tires last winter and only used them for 2 months. They won't fit his new car. For reference, 4 new winter tires in Canada would cost me at least $400 minimum, so it's not a bad deal.

I think there are vehicle emissions standards in Ontario, Canada. You may need to factor in the costs of getting the car compliant. Where are you buying the car from? Maybe the seller can provide the car's last emissions inspection report, if it had one.
Yes we have emission standards. I checked the government regulations for car imports, the car meets our standards, there is nothing that needs to be done to bring the car to compliance. The car is in Massachusates, so also tempting for me because it's only about a 9 hour drive to bring it back.

Be alert when you test drive it. Listen for everything and only turn on the radio to see that it works. Inspect it well and then you can make a better decision on whether or not it is a good deal. And remember that you can walk away at any time.
I'm in a difficult position here. This is sort of a one shot deal. There are arrangements that have to be made ahead of time for export. I am buying through Ebay (forgot to mention this) so the bid is binding and I can't walk away. Right now I bid $3000 but we were negotiating a higher price in exchange for his ending the auction early. Plus I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars to fly somewhere only to have to fly back empty handed (of course if there are serious problems then I would consider it) However, I am trusting in maintenance records to protect me somewhat. I did this two years ago with a car and it turned out great.

Just so you know, I am taking the risk because a similar used car here would be between $6000 to $8000 depending on condition and miles.

Why would you ship the timing belt to his house? In case the belt breaks on your way back up to Canada? It's hard enough changing the belt in a garage, let alone on the side of a highway.
Sorry, I wasn't clear on that point. You guys are lucky in the US in that you have many online parts stores that are cheap. In Canada we don't have as many, and they all have higher prices. While some of the online US places will ship to Canada they can charge over $100 for shipping and broker fees. So if I know the parts I will need ahead of time for the job it makes sense to order them now, have them shipped to the seller and bring them back with me. I would do the work later. I am not worried about the belt to the point where I think it will break while I am bringing the car back with me. I am just trying to save some money there too. To have the job done at the dealer here would easily be between $1500-$2000.

One other thing that is a factor is finding a willing seller. I would love to buy an LS from one of the members on this forum. However, I have found in the last month that there aren't many for sale. Those that are can be far away (California for example). The few I have found that looked good, the sellers are reluctant to sell to a Canadian. I think they're worried there is too much extra work with the export (not true by the way, most of it can be taken care of by me ahead of time.)

I think it has air shocks if the center console area near the shifter has adjustable suspension options (like "High" or "sport").
Hmm, is that easy to spot? I don't think I can see anything on the pictures. I will have to ask him I guess. Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.

I still need a good place to order the parts? Is there a list on the forums of what I will need. Please mention any special tools I may require as well to get to the belt.
Old 10-09-10, 09:16 PM
rabbits
Driver School Candidate

Well guys, I bit the bullet, I bought the car for $3250. Believe me I scoured craigslist, autotrader, car guru and others and this was a good deal. On cars that were close, I could not find any history so I am happy.

I do want to take care of the timing belt issue though, either by having it done before I pick up the car or by doing it when I get back.

Can anyone point me to a thread that discusses what parts I need and where to get them affordably?

Also, the car is in Conneticut, about 30 minutes from Hartford. Anyone know of a good independent mechanic near that area that can do the job right that you recommend?
Old 10-10-10, 07:54 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbits
Well guys, I bit the bullet, I bought the car for $3250. Believe me I scoured craigslist, autotrader, car guru and others and this was a good deal. On cars that were close, I could not find any history so I am happy.

I do want to take care of the timing belt issue though, either by having it done before I pick up the car or by doing it when I get back.

Can anyone point me to a thread that discusses what parts I need and where to get them affordably?

Also, the car is in Conneticut, about 30 minutes from Hartford. Anyone know of a good independent mechanic near that area that can do the job right that you recommend?
Well, congrats on the purchase. Hope it's what you're expecting when you do get to it. This is the tutorial on the timing belt for the 1st gen but I think the parts needed would be the same. (and tools needed) http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html If you're a DIY guy, I would suggest DIY. When I did mine last year I used all aftermarket parts (due to financial situation) and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I'm in Connecticut and I don't know of any good repair shops around here, mostly b/c I do my own work. Any time there was something I couldn't do I would bring it to a dealer, no matter what car it was. (I hated doing this) If while you are here you need something from the dealer, there is Hoffman Lexus in East Hartford. http://www.hoffmanlexus.com/index.htm What town is the car in?
Old 10-10-10, 08:07 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like a hell of a deal. I just paid $2300 for 92 LS4, since then I paid for $450 for new radiator and thermostat. Now a/c freon is leaking so another few hundred there. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 10-10-10, 11:28 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If there are no immediately necessary repairs to be done, wait til you get home. Last thing you want is to buy a perfectly driveable car get it repaired prematurely and have it break down on the drive home.
I know 2 good mechanics. 1 in Mississauga and 1 in Burlington.
PM me if you want their contact info.
Good luck!
Old 10-10-10, 08:43 PM
rabbits
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I will post pics when I get the car! I'm likely going to get it sometime next week or the week after, I need to line up all my ducks in a row first.

I am pricing the parts first, then will decide what to do with the belt issue once I have more info.

Shnitz, I will definately be emailing you on the mechanics in Mississauga.

Once I get my first lexus, it will be time to sell my current ride, the Hyundai Azera. I must say I am going to miss her! She has been good to me and rides almost as good as a lexus (her biggest fault is an engineering design flaw with the shocks which was so bad they couldn't fix it and won't admit to making the mistake!) Otherwise, beautiful ride. Then with the proceeds I will pay off this lexus and get a minivan for the wife and my son. Can't wait to get my new ride and join all you guys as a proud owner of one of the finest cars ever made, period.
Old 10-10-10, 09:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

congrats, waiting on pics