LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel Injector Cleaners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 02:29 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaners?

Can i use
1- STP® Fuel Injector & Carburetor Treatment
Or
2- ACDelco - Fuel System Treatment

on my LS400 2000, is it safe ? Do i have to add after each fill up?
Am wondering if it actually work and improve my Gas Mileage.
http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-add...tor-treatment/

SeaFoam product isn't available in my town.
Old 10-07-10, 02:31 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Techron (not progaurd) is probably one of the best ones around. Search for that
Old 10-07-10, 02:50 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Valvoline Complete is good as well. I've used the Techron too and its good. They're safe for your fuel system.
Old 10-07-10, 04:56 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't put any of it in my ride. Either get them professionally cleaned, or run them til' the drop. I always love to have people (Autozone) explain to me how it actually works as advertised, they don't have any idea.
Old 10-07-10, 10:39 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Neither.

Techron, Regaine, SI-1 or Amsoil PI. The fishier smelling, the better.
Old 10-08-10, 09:53 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Lucas is also a good cleaner I've used it for 10 years and my ls400 has 249,000 miles and runs great
Old 10-09-10, 05:11 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

redline si-1 ftw!
Old 10-11-10, 11:06 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone actually tell me how it is that this stuff works as advertised...? I understand it changes the fuel mixture, octane, volatility, etc., but please explain how this actually removes any debris from an injector. The way I see it is that you fuel tank is a pitcher of water, you fuel injector is a cup, if you take water from your pitcher, and put it in the glass and drink it, and repeat it 250,000 times, I would imagine you might have some left over minerals and stuff in the glass, but is isn't going to block it enough to stop or reduce the flow. Now I understand the orifices in the injector are tight, but all that happens as the injectors start to loose their overall ability to flow perfect, thye computer just changed the pulse width modulation on the injectors and tells them to stay open longer. Lets say you have a brand new injector, and it flows 250cc of fuel, and you have an older injector thats rated for 250cc, but only flows a total of 200cc, than the computer will compenstate by adding an additional 20% to the fuel injector PWM, causing it to flow the same amount as the perfect injector. I'm sorry, I just won't purchase something that sounds fishy, and doesn't give me straight answers, and direct results.... How do you actually know if the cleaner is really working? Testing it by MPG seems to be an unfair test because that will vary anyways due to throttle load, driving conditions, idle time, etc. And as a last note, when you do put in the fuel injector cleaner, you will automatically lose MPG because of the fuel mixture change due to the injector cleaner. That's just my two cents, take it or leave it, just trying to shed some light.
Old 10-12-10, 02:52 AM
Extrudedco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're assuming even deposition of the 'mineral' buildup, which isn't necessarily the case. Engine ECUs and sensors usually aren't configured to handle things on a per-cylinder basis, rather they're set up to tweak the whole bank (4 cylinders, in this case) under the assumption that all the fuel injectors are flowing equally. Even if buildup was equal, it can impact the spray pattern of the fuel injector, which in turn impacts the ability of the fuel to mix with air. Poor mixing of fuel leads to a less efficient burn.

I've always just grabbed a few bottles of the cheap stuff and cycled it through a couple partial tanks of fuel in my cars. I'm currently doing so in my LS400, and the idle has smoothed out a bit, but I've done enough work on it I have no idea if it's the cleaner. However, it's only a couple bucks per bottle, and I know it won't hurt.

Now I have had one experience cleaning injectors that led to a dramatic improvement in performance. At one point I owned a 91 Jeep Cherokee with about 235k miles on it at the time. After clearing out the massive carbon buildup and replacing ignition components it still wasn't running quite right. I noticed some leaking fuel injector o-rings, so I pulled the injectors and soaked them in Seafoam for a couple days while I had it apart. Once it was put back together it had a huge impact in the engine's performance. Smoother idle, better fuel economy and better performance, even after having run multiple bottles of cleaner through the gas tank.

I figure when I have to do the starter at some point, I'll yank my injectors and give them a good cleaning if I have the time. Running cleaner through the tank seems to help things a bit, but I'm curious to see if a good soaking would have the same dramatic effect it had on the Jeep, even of the LS doesn't have the half inch thick layer of sludge over the entire valvetrain like the Jeep did...
Old 03-26-15, 07:59 PM
tomgadgets
Driver School Candidate

Default Professionally cleaned

Sorry to resurrect a 4 year old thread, but I had my 93 LS400 fuel injectors professionally cleaned at the Lexus dealer. It made a HUGE difference! The power is back, the gas mileage is much better and the car ran almost like a new car. So for those of you with poor mileage and lack of engine power, have your injectors professionally cleaned. I still can't believe how much of a difference it made!
Old 03-27-15, 10:56 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I used to work for a shop and we had ultrasonic fuel injector cleaners... this is the only way to go as you could easily see the before and after perfomance as it automatically tested the flow and atomization... in my opinion....
Ultrasonic fuel injector cleaning and flow testing is the only process that can guarantee reliable and complete fuel injector cleaning.

Again, my opinion from my experience... your experience and opinion may differ from mine... and that's ok.
Old 03-28-15, 07:12 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Techron (not progaurd) is probably one of the best ones around. Search for that
Second !!!!!! I've used,on an irregular basis, Techron for both of my LS's for over ten years.
Old 03-28-15, 10:51 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tomgadgets
Sorry to resurrect a 4 year old thread, but I had my 93 LS400 fuel injectors professionally cleaned at the Lexus dealer. It made a HUGE difference! The power is back, the gas mileage is much better and the car ran almost like a new car. So for those of you with poor mileage and lack of engine power, have your injectors professionally cleaned. I still can't believe how much of a difference it made!
What was your gas mileage before and after!?
Old 03-30-15, 01:05 AM
tomgadgets
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by qewani1
What was your gas mileage before and after!?
Before = ~13-15MPG average mileage (50/50 highway/city), I have never achieved more than 15.5MPG average even with 90% highway driving.
After = 17.5MPG on my last fill-up, (50/50 highway/city) still can't believe it.

The best thing is - THE POWER IS BACK!! The reason the gas mileage increased is due to the fact that the LS400 SURGES FORWARD with just a light tap of the accelerator, I never have to floor it. Before cleaning I must floor the pedal if I want any decent acceleration. AMAZING.
Old 03-30-15, 02:32 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

interesting, and how much did this cost you at the dealership?

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaners?