LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Non-Bagged Tucked Wheels on LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 12:30 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Non-Bagged Tucked Wheels on LS

Well right now I have Tanabe's on my 92' LS400 and want to soon tuck the wheels without going bagged, way out of budget for now, but I want a close drop or as low as possible with other suspension possibilites. Ive searched but just ran inte Megans and cut springs... PICS of suspension systems and name of parts while tucking wheel or going as low as possible without bags. And maybe even experience on how the car rides on it.

Last edited by djsurfer; 08-08-10 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Specifying year and model of car.
Old 08-08-10, 01:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

we have a nice big wheel/tire setup thread that has suspension settings lsited. search in that.
Old 08-08-10, 08:48 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18s tucked on coilovers:

maxed out (rear) jic + ss kit + uca clearance + stretched tires. this is not the affordable alternative though. another member got real low in a ucf10 on bc racing coilovers, which are more affordable. i know for a fact megan won't tuck unless the lower spring perch is dropped, which reduces travel.

my car rides like a car should at this height. firm and well controlled. you definitely feel connected to the road becuase of the spring rates (you feel the surface, bumps, dips, etc.) but it is not unbearable (in fact it is what i prefer) or bouncy.

at this point it is so low that it is a little less enjoyable to drive than it was at ~1" higher. i had it really dialed in for a minute before i dropped it more and it rode like a dream. once i get it back on the road i will do some more adjusting to try and get that ride quality back.

Old 08-08-10, 02:30 PM
silos5
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats the only car that came to my mind when I saw this thread, all others are on air.
BLKonBLK98
Old 08-08-10, 10:59 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
we have a nice big wheel/tire setup thread that has suspension settings lsited. search in that.
But not with pics and not specific for the 92' LS400... and I also want to know from personal reference with ride experience, not just a list of options.

And yea BLKonBLK your whip is real nice and clean bro, hmmm BC coils..Im gonna have to check those out... anyone have BC coilovers on their LS???
Old 08-08-10, 11:10 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

brandicus has a set on his 1st gen. he loves them so far from what hes told me.

Originally Posted by Brandicus
oh youll be the first to know J

max high on my coils lol

Old 08-09-10, 10:48 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am rolling on D2 with custom spring rates, and they ride equally as nice as the Tein comfort sports that I had on my SC300 in the past...and I roll much lower. It's all about getting the right spring rates and finding that perfect dampening.

Old 08-10-10, 09:17 AM
justinp95
Driver

Originally Posted by romeo291
I am rolling on D2 with custom spring rates, and they ride equally as nice as the Tein comfort sports that I had on my SC300 in the past...and I roll much lower. It's all about getting the right spring rates and finding that perfect dampening.

Nice car! Do you have anymore pictures?
Old 08-10-10, 10:45 AM
2LonG
Driver School Candidate

I have a '91. I'm rolling on Megans with 19's and you won't be able to tuck the rears unless you put a few rice bags in the trunk. I have them maxed out. They ride comfortable overall tho.

I say, be patient, save money and get bags. =)
Old 08-12-10, 06:24 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that's my biggest fear on lowering my ride - I looove the look but I travel alot in it and do not want it to be uncomfortable. Does the ride comfort change dramatically justinP95? I like the stance you got there.

I wouldnt mind it stiffining up some more for my LS floats at high speeds due to bad Rod Bushings and worn shocks. I just don't want it to ride like a log after spending the money to get the "look".
Old 08-12-10, 08:39 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Yup that's me, I've had jic sf-1s, air cylinders, and now these bcr coils. The jics rode better IMO but I'm very confident I'll be able to tuck my 18s with these insane coils. The ride is comparable to megs if not a little better simply because I don't have to mess with my preload to get low. I've said it before those pics illustrate my max high. Basically megs max low = my max high. I suspect it's because these were originally designed for the 20 iirc.
Old 08-12-10, 10:40 AM
justinp95
Driver

Originally Posted by Marklouis
that's my biggest fear on lowering my ride - I looove the look but I travel alot in it and do not want it to be uncomfortable. Does the ride comfort change dramatically justinP95? I like the stance you got there.

I wouldnt mind it stiffining up some more for my LS floats at high speeds due to bad Rod Bushings and worn shocks. I just don't want it to ride like a log after spending the money to get the "look".

Thats romeo291's car.
Old 08-12-10, 10:48 AM
Raddison
Pole Position

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct1.aspx?ProductID=34

JIC makes these coilovers, the that claim to be "designed for a comfortable ride while still retaining handling performance and quality, it also allows the vehicle to have a very low drop along with larger diameter wheels without affecting the compression and rebound travel of the dampers, allowing for the aggressive VIP stance.

The MSRP for the lexus is around 2400, I've no idea what a realistic price would be
Old 08-12-10, 10:55 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the JIC goes low but they have a somewhat poor record for customer support, based on some members experiences.
Old 08-12-10, 02:57 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the JIC goes low but they have a somewhat poor record for customer support, based on some members experiences.
having rode, bought, sold, and rebuilt several sets of jic over the last few years my first hand experience has been nothing but positive, as has all feedback from customers.

a lot of complaints come from those who buy second hand, discontinued, and/or lower end products and then are unsatisfied with either the ride quality or support. for example, when a guy pays a few hundred for some used sf-1s and then discover they need a rebuild they find they are stuck out for options. some of the older designs are also outdated (single tap, non-adjustable damping, etc.).

another issue was that once upon a time jic usa didn't have the facilities to rebuild, so products had to be sent to japan for refurbishment. wait times could be several months. a couple years ago jic usa moved into a new facility where rebuilds were done on premises and with a quick turn around time.

as far as quality, of both build and ride, i will put my suspension up against any other ls coilover suspension that is readily available without hesitation. actually, i would be willing to compare to all options, however i don't know how if would stack up against the harder-to-source brands (although i'm confident they couldn't be much better if any). i have personal experience with the flt-a2 vip (discontinued), flt-tar vip, flt-tar vip super low, and the flt-fas. they have all outperformed any "budget" coilover i have encountered. keep in mind this is in regards to street use as that is all i subject them to.

Quick Reply: Non-Bagged Tucked Wheels on LS