LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

EASY 93-94 LS400 $3.00 CLuster Flicker and Gas needle Fix

Old 03-12-12, 03:35 PM
jwiseman3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus dash flicker

i thank you so much for this post and by following your directions i have lites and gas readings very simple by your step by step i understand your not wanting to offend anyone but 1000 is just to much thanks again. jwiseman3
Old 04-11-12, 04:06 PM
Chopfooey
Driver School Candidate

Smile Works great but beware.

My dash was dead with flickering needles and the gas gauge was inoperative. The radio and climate control lights didn't work either.

I would not recommend using tantalum capacitors because they tend to short out when they fail.

Other than that you guys saved me a mint. THANK YOU!!

EDIT: Speedometer seems to go in and out periodically. Noticed there are several more caps of the same make and manufacture. In my experience, at least on computer boards, when one group of caps goes bad the others aren't far behind it. I plan on replacing the rest of them with decent low ESR electrolytic caps in an effort to get the speedo working 100%.

Last edited by Chopfooey; 04-16-12 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-03-12, 10:08 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Hey guys,

I repair all this stuff too. I can also provide the capacitors or whatever parts you may need. I'd love to support the DIY crowd too!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 06-01-12, 09:38 PM
crisavelli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dtwillis5
Good how-to do it yourself! If they have problems with your texting tell them to get one off ebay cause you didn't have to do this.
WOW...I followed all the steps,the dash lights now but the fuel guage does not work,any ideas?
Old 06-01-12, 09:41 PM
crisavelli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdls
What ended up happening? I want to know the fix. I'm tired of beating my dashboard.
WOW...I followed all the steps,the dash lights now but the fuel guage does not work,any ideas?
Old 06-04-12, 09:33 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Could have damaged the board changing the capacitor. How did you remove them?
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 06-20-12, 03:59 PM
silentriot
Driver School Candidate

I can confirm that these instructions work on the (Right hand drive) Celsior as well.
The circuit board is a left-right mirror image of the LS400, so picture the images in the thread being mirrored. The capacitor numbering and values are the same. Capacitors came off very easily and the new ones went in just as easily.

Great DIY thread!
Old 06-22-12, 03:00 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

awesome guide but this definitely would take some steady hand and good soldering skills.
Old 01-30-13, 05:09 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, when I got my car back after having had the engine mounts and trans mount replaced, the instrument panel, which has been flickering on and off or just blacking out for more than a year, and the gas needle gauge, which previously took 1/2 hour of warming up before it would register the level, were working. AND a trac warning light that used to come on at random no longer lights up. Go figure.

Unless the shop did some magic trick fix to the instrument panel while they had the car in to replace the mounts, which I think we can all agree is highly unlikely, the 'fix' has to be related to this recent repair/maintenance. It's not exactly a 'fix' since I have seen a couple of flashes since, but vastly improved.

It's possible the trac warning light 'fix' has more to do with brake pad and fluid replacement (also done recently) than with engine and trans mount replacement, but whatever the reason, I am happy with the unanticipated side benefits.

Last edited by PlotPoint; 01-31-13 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 08:08 AM
BLE
Driver School Candidate

Default LS400 1994 cluster

Hello everyone,
I have an issue with flickering cluster when the weather is cold and I replaced the C212, C147 AND C142 capacitors last week with 10UF 16 VOLT FOR C212, 10UF 50 VOLT FOR C147 AND 4.7 UF 25 VOLT FOR C142 after replace them it seems to fix the proplem when the weather is cold, but now when weather is warm or I should say when the car is warm above 55 degree and if I turn off the engine and turn star the the car again the cluster won't light up at all. What is the issue? what capactor else to replace? any help would appreciated.
Old 07-03-13, 03:20 PM
Newblue
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Sc400 instrument cluster flicker- which capacitors?

I like the write-up... Only thing is, my 93 SC400 has COMPLETELY DIFFERENT panel set up & capacitor numbers. I DON'T HAVE a small board on top. So, anyone have any idea which capacitors need to be replaced?
Old 07-03-13, 03:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Newblue
I like the write-up... Only thing is, my 93 SC400 has COMPLETELY DIFFERENT panel set up & capacitor numbers. I DON'T HAVE a small board on top. So, anyone have any idea which capacitors need to be replaced?
try looking in the SC forum and not the LS forum...

SCs are set up totally different, use bulbs not CCFLs.
Old 07-03-13, 04:33 PM
Newblue
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Pure... I'll get on that!
Old 08-29-13, 08:32 AM
aaddpp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chopfooey
My dash was dead with flickering needles and the gas gauge was inoperative. The radio and climate control lights didn't work either.

I would not recommend using tantalum capacitors because they tend to short out when they fail.

Other than that you guys saved me a mint. THANK YOU!!

EDIT: Speedometer seems to go in and out periodically. Noticed there are several more caps of the same make and manufacture. In my experience, at least on computer boards, when one group of caps goes bad the others aren't far behind it. I plan on replacing the rest of them with decent low ESR electrolytic caps in an effort to get the speedo working 100%.
^^^^^^^^ What type of capacitor would be a better option than tantalum?

I've looked around, and found a thread that goes into a lot of detail about low ESR capacitors made by certain manufacturers - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html . The capacitors mentioned in the thread are used in the ECU, and I'm wondering if they are a good option for the boards in the dash display.

Dave
Old 08-29-13, 05:21 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by aaddpp
^^^^^^^^ What type of capacitor would be a better option than tantalum?

I've looked around, and found a thread that goes into a lot of detail about low ESR capacitors made by certain manufacturers - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html . The capacitors mentioned in the thread are used in the ECU, and I'm wondering if they are a good option for the boards in the dash display.

Dave
Yes, low ESR electrolytic capacitors are better and safe for the dash too.
Don't use high capacitance ceramic capacitors to avoid the oscillation.
I also would not use tantalum capacitors available in the market for fear of the fire hazard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EASY 93-94 LS400 $3.00 CLuster Flicker and Gas needle Fix