LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

EASY 93-94 LS400 $3.00 CLuster Flicker and Gas needle Fix

Old 09-27-11, 07:01 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rice thanks for making this easy to find. all my lights work now. including the black lit center consoles and the back lighting on the radio and a/c stay on now when lights are on gass gauge is not lazy anymore. had to do a jump mod on c147. it is what it is. also have a few bulbs to replace. i teseted them all. thanks again.
Old 10-29-11, 10:06 AM
lavondag
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Please be my hero!!

Originally Posted by SkulCracka
need wiring diagram of where c147 postive side trace goes to please. seems i messed it up or that was part of the clusters problem. thanks.

EDIT : Never mind i figured out the trace.
Please help me out here. I am a woman who is trying to get my dash lights in working order. I paid a guy to solder my capacitors on for me after taking the dash apart myself, cause I was too intimidated by the small parts on the board. Nevertheless, he messed up on the positive side of the c147 and I do not know where to re-solder it cause I don't know the trace. Can you help me out with this?
Old 10-29-11, 10:09 AM
lavondag
Driver School Candidate

Question What is a jump mod?

Originally Posted by SkulCracka
Rice thanks for making this easy to find. all my lights work now. including the black lit center consoles and the back lighting on the radio and a/c stay on now when lights are on gass gauge is not lazy anymore. had to do a jump mod on c147. it is what it is. also have a few bulbs to replace. i teseted them all. thanks again.
What does it mean to do a jump mod, and what problem did it resolve for you?
Old 10-29-11, 10:15 AM
lavondag
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Rice4eveR
REVISED*For people with some technical knowledge only* Do this at your own risk!*

Hi... My name is Rice. I wasn't gonna pay 1200 bux to get my 93 ls400 Lexus cluster to stop flickering and my gas gauge working again! Here is my permanent fix. It cost me $3 or $4 bucks!

Here is my cluster. I just took it out and I'am ready to get to work! The whole job took me 12-15 mins but I was a technician for like 15 years so please take your time!

Back of the cluster. take the white plastic cover off. It is held together with 10 or so screws!

I bought these capacitors from Frys electronics. If you don't have a Frys near you then hop your *** on www.Frys.com and order them by the part numbers provided below!

The labels with prices and part numbers

Unsolder (from the top side) capacitor from c212 that is located on the small board and replace with a 10 uf (10mfd) 16 volt capacitor.

Do the same for c142 and c147 located on the big board! C142 is to be replaced with new capacitor 4.7 Uf 25 volt and c147 is to be replaced with 10uf 50 volt.

Super small

Bend and cut the legs into feet like the one below

Don't burn yourself with the iron!

Yeah like the pic says... I screwed up and ripped off the copper lead rushing, so I took a probe and scratched the green coating off the board so that I could have a new spot to solder

Looks great and doesn't flicker anymore, cold or hot! I hope I don't make the dudes that charge hella money on eBay mad... but ****um! half of them charge to much for the service anywaY!

As always I had a blast teaching you somethin' new!
Thank you for reading!

Rice
www.Rice4eveR.com
Could you possibly tell me where to solder the positive side of C147 if the little lead pad was messed up with de-soldering? I got someone to help me with this project, but he messed it up and now I don't know how to figure out the trace route?? Thanks in advance
Old 10-29-11, 05:00 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

check your PM's.

the positive side goes thru to the under side of the board. then traces back to that front left upper side plug with yellow wires going to it. liitle more detail in your PM.

that one stumped me for a few hours till i put it down walked away and came back later. LOL

my problem for wanting to replace these 3 capasitors. was no middle console lights and slow gas gage. i dont not know what c147 does. but i did break the positive pad like your friend that is helping you.

Last edited by SkulCracka; 10-29-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-30-11, 09:04 PM
lavondag
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thank you for the help!

Thanks so much for the good info. I will see if my friend and I can figure it out and get it re-soldered
Old 10-31-11, 06:51 AM
tonyfazt
Rookie

damn i tore off a strip off the board that reads gas milage so now the needle or milage light up
that sucks
at least the lights work again
Old 11-01-11, 07:11 AM
tonyfazt
Rookie

ok i fixed the milage issue turns out my connection on the back was loose but the c147 i tore off i dont know how to fix
Old 11-01-11, 07:28 AM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tonyfazt
ok i fixed the milage issue turns out my connection on the back was loose but the c147 i tore off i dont know how to fix
as you can see in the pics the OP messed up the negative side of c147. you can see how they fixed it. if you tore off the right positive side. then reread what i posted above. it goes thru the bottom of the board and traces back to the plug on the top left corner with the yellow wires coming out.
Old 11-01-11, 07:47 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand Rice!! I could do this, I just need to buy a solder. Lol I've taken out clusters before. It's not hard...u just need to pay attention and take ur time.
Great info.
Old 11-01-11, 02:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

this may or may not apply to your '99, they changed the clusters significantly over time.
Old 11-03-11, 10:16 PM
padpaypal
Driver School Candidate

change all 3 and eveyrthing works now. THANKS!

Last edited by padpaypal; 11-03-11 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-11-11, 08:19 AM
LJBSJB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bali26
We need more people like you here. Thanks!

Ignore the haters, they are just afraid. Please continue contributing.
+1. DIY is a great option!
Old 11-14-11, 01:18 PM
lavondag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LJBSJB
+1. DIY is a great option!
I must say that I appreciate Rice for posting this tutorial cause I never would have been able to figure out all this without the excellent pics. So the language was a little colorful , but I know he means well and I am grateful to him Thanks Rice!
Old 01-11-12, 09:27 AM
lovetotry
Driver School Candidate

Hello Admin and all of friends in this forum. Just followed Rice4ever tutorial with pics, and it;s working my instrument cluster brighting up again. So I would like to say thank u to ur helpful post tutorial with pictures my friend. U save me lots of $$ there. Great Great Great, thanks again Rice4ever , don't know how much i appreciated that my friend. Alright have a good day every friends in here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EASY 93-94 LS400 $3.00 CLuster Flicker and Gas needle Fix