LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Twin Turbo is in Process

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-02, 04:09 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo is in Process

Hey Gang,

People have been talking about making our LS400 TT for a long time, but it was just "Talk". Well, I just picked up two T3 Ball Bearing turbos. I would like to invest some time and money into this project and make it work. This is what i have in my mind. The turbos will be low mount with intecooler. Once everything work out fine, i will copy the kit and sell to the public.

This is what i have in mind. The turbo kit will come in 3 different stages:

1. Stage 1 (Sleeper): Will be the basic stage with minimum work and modification. It will be Twin Turbo T3 BB pushing at around 6-7 psi with intercooler (6" x 30" x 3.5"). HP? I dont know yet, but i am aiming for 300-400 rwhp. This stage can easily be upgrade to stage 2.

2. Stage 2 (Terror): This stage will be very similar to Sleeper stage, but with upgrade fuel pump, injectors, SCE copper head gasket (.093" head gasket to low compression to 9:1), ARP bolts. The twin T3 will be boosting 15 psi. I am aiming to achieve 400-500 rwhp.

3. Stage 3 (Lextrem): This is a built motor with custom forged JE low compression pistons, forged rods, Plasma moly rings. O-Ringed block with copper gasket (this kit doesnt come with the block. Just parts for engine builder). Stronger valve springs. The turbos will be T3/4 hydrid. I am aiming around 20-24 psi. HP? Closed my eyes and pray. This stage will not produce until later on. This is an extreme setup for mainly street/strip.

As of right now, there is no price set. Its all depends what you want.

Once again, i am doing this because i want to have a TT Lexus LS400, not because of Money. If the setup work fine and error free, i would produce it so my fellow lexus owners can have the same type of fun as i do.

dc
Old 06-24-02, 07:22 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

definetely looking forward to the stage 2 or 1 always wanted 450 hp to have fun wih m5's and vettes

Hopefully by the time it's done I will have enough cash for ir.
Old 06-25-02, 09:10 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Retro,

Would you please email at dc@kiropractic.com with your phone number reguarding the new ECU for my TT setup.

Thanks

David
Old 06-25-02, 10:27 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's damn cool, keep us posted!!
Old 06-25-02, 10:57 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

One of my goals is to make it affortable to everyone. The fab will be very easy. We are using stock manifolds. Remember, the turbos will low mount just like the Galleway Vet. Currently, i am using Nissan Skyline T3 BB used head unit from Japan (less than 30K miles). These turbos are cheap. If the customer want brand new Turbonectics T3 BB or Standard, he will need to pay higher price.

I still believe you pay for what you get. Besides the used BB turbos, i will be using SS pipes with possible heat resistance coating. Intercooler will be front mount and will be special order from Spearco. Connectors will be T-bolts with silicone heat resistance tube.

As far as price range, it will range from customer to customer, but there wil be a baseline package for Stage I, II and III. Once again, i want to make this kit affortable and functional. As for the Basic Kit (sleeper), i would like to use as much stock stuffs as possible, ie injectos and fuel pump.

Since the turbos will be low mount, therefore, i will be setting up an oil reservior, oil intercooler and oil pump. The turbos will have its own oil system that is not will not use the engine oil.

Once again, the oil line will SS braided. I think the oil system will cost some money. Matter of fact is being made right by a company in Bay Area.

I will keep you posted. Currently, we waiting for the turbo actuators and Exhaust housing.

I will keep you guys posted.

dc
Old 06-25-02, 11:16 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Finally someone got their 4hit together to take on this project. Most places needed a downpayment of at least 5 people to do this project so screw that.
Old 06-25-02, 01:35 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, if you can make this work, I'd be interested in a setup for a SC400 (also a 1UZ-FE)!
Old 06-25-02, 11:31 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is this a $5k above project?
Old 06-25-02, 11:41 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when will this project be complete? I would like to see it in person.
Old 06-26-02, 02:15 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking yea

i like to see that in person too.. haha the car wont do better then 13 sec i dont think...
Old 06-26-02, 08:55 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I talked to Chris Mun (referred by Retro) He is the person going to do my ECU. Matter of fact, when i am finished all the hardware, he will fly to L.A from Virgina to program and tune the set ups.

Currently, he is working on an ECU (AD2) that is Laptop programable and the price is very good (around $300 or so, not exactly sure).

Folks, when its done. I want all you guys to drive my car and test it out. Just sign a release form. You break it, you pay for it. Haha (Just joking)

As far as price is concern. I dont have a solid price range yet, but it will be the most affortable and functional kit out there for your Lexus. I can use cheap materials and make a kit, but i would not be happy with it. Lexus is such a high qaulity car and cheap materials are just dont sound right. Qaulity cost money. If you want it cheap, i can make a cheap kit just for you.

Simplicity is the key. The installation would not take more than 5-6 hours. No Fab, No Mod of anything. I want to make it easy for non mechanic. Its almost like "Plug N Play".

Stage I (Sleeper) is easily convertered into Stage II (Terror) by changing the head gasket (SCE Copper .093") to lower the stock compression to 9:1. Secondly, ARP (custom made for 1UZ-FE) bolts will be used on the head gasket. Due to the boost increase (15 psi), fuel system will be upgraded.

Currently, i am working with a performace shop in the Bay Area to setup an oil system for the turbos. The turbo will have its own oil system. The oil system included: SS braid lines and fittings, Oil reservior, Oil scavenger pump, and oil cooler. Therefore, no tapping of oil pan. Which is a nice thing.

The final kit pipes/tubes will high grade stainless steel with Hot Jet coating for pipes that are visually see in the engine bay. Tubes/pipes that are closed the hot exhaust header will be hot jet along with heat resistance wraps and shields.

The reasons i am making two kits because of different wants and needs. If you get the basic kit and you get tired of the HP, you can always upgrade to Terror. Terror can be upgraded to Lextrem also in the future. The plumbings are the same.

david
Old 06-26-02, 10:14 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Thumbs up

Sounds great! Good thing you managed to get in touch with Chris. He is real honest and cool guy to deal with. BTW, that ECU that I was promoting...Chris did not make a cent off it!
Old 06-27-02, 10:21 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Hey Gang,

I went to Turbo City in the City of Orange California yesterday and tried to get some parts for my turbos. I also asked to see a rebuild Garrett T3 Turbo. Its piece of *hit. It does not spin smooth and it hardly spin at all with a twist of my fingers. There was a grinding sound when i tested out.

As compared to my rebuild ball bearing turbo from Garrett made for Nissan. With a flick of my fingers, it spin like crazy. With these turbos, i know the spooling will very fast. Maybe too fast. These turbo will be execellent for street use.

david
Old 06-27-02, 01:41 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Sounds like a great and exciting idea, but the challenges are staggering. :eek:
Old 06-27-02, 06:02 PM
SWEETSOUND2001
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Just keep us updated. Any estimates on when you'll have it all done approximately?

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo is in Process