LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS New Coilover Conversion, Having Some Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 05:40 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LS New Coilover Conversion, Having Some Problems

I RECENTLY REPLACED THE AIR SUPSENSION WITH ARNOTT COILOVERS. Much better ride overall; however, I’ve noticed the left side of the car is a few inches lower than the right side. Both of the left air struts were bad so the car was sagging from the left side only. The left side of the car is still lower than the right side but not as much as it used to. I’m wondering if my mechanic missed something, maybe he forgot to remove something or maybe the struts are bad. I would hate to have to remove any of the struts again; hopefully not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-29-10, 05:44 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

i wouldn't expect new suspension to be bad.

i would inspect components such as the lower control arms and bushings. a couple inches is a lot though. how long have you had the car? possible accidents that cause damage?
Old 04-29-10, 06:02 PM
LexChamp
Driver

None of the bushings were changed when the conversion was done. The mechanic did say that it would not have hurt to changed them.
Old 05-01-10, 04:04 AM
LexChamp
Driver

Default I need help fast

As I previously posted, my car was sagging from the left side after the air suspension was taken out. I noticed this morning the left side and the right front are now all the way down, as if I still had the air suspension. I engaged the air suspension switch but the car did not come back up. The car is so low the wheels are almost touching the fender liners. Please help.
Old 05-01-10, 06:58 AM
LexChamp
Driver

Anybody????? Please
Old 05-01-10, 12:17 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that if it's sagging THAT much (more than 1"), then its very likely to be the coil spring itself (or maybe the shock isn't good either). Possibly, a faulty/defective unit that might have snapped. I'd definitely have a qualified mechanic to check it out. You might get several opinions on here but for that sort of issue, you need to have someone actually diagnose it on-site. So go ahead, and contact your seller and set up a warranty re-issue for the pair. (You can do the single side but you generally want to replace springs/shocks in pairs)

Goodluck!
Old 05-01-10, 12:48 PM
LSWhat
Driver School Candidate

Coilovers can be adjusted. On the bottom of the coil spring there are two adjustment rings, loosen the lower and spin it down. Take the top one and spin that down as well. Down = more ride height, up = less ride height. Note you must do this with the wheels off and the car jacked up. Make sure you pay attention to the clicks as you may wind up with different heights. Once at the desired height, tighten the two rings together i.e. turn the bottom to the right as if going up, and tighten the top one going down as if loosening.

Also if they are brand new coilovers, the springs will set a little. As it does with all vehicles, once on for the first day or two the coils will set down since they have had no weight on themselves yet.
Old 05-01-10, 12:59 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Thanks alot fellows. I will take it to shop and have someone take a look at it. I will report back when I figure out whats going on. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-10, 01:32 PM
LSWhat
Driver School Candidate

No problem
Old 05-01-10, 03:52 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I checked their website and saw that Arnott only offers Air to Coil conversions, NOT actual adjustable coilovers like those of Megan, JIC, Tein, etc. Something is not right in the spring/shock, so yes have it looked at.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...47_gid260.html
Old 05-01-10, 08:03 PM
LSWhat
Driver School Candidate

Well since they aren't adjustables then the springs do have to set. We put lowering springs on my buddy's car and they set maybe a full inch probably more! But one side being higher than the other makes no sense, something is wrong there.
Old 05-02-10, 08:37 AM
LexChamp
Driver

Yes, There is something wrong big time. The car is sagging so much I cant even drive it to the shop, The tires are hitting the inner liners; I dont want to cause any damage. The mechanic who installed will take a look at them hopefully today. I did a little research and found these threads , people were having similar issues.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Conversion-Kit
At least Arnott has been good in replacing damage goods.
Old 05-11-10, 04:51 PM
LexChamp
Driver

I ended up calling Arnott and spoke to 1 of their Areps. I explained the problem I was having with my front tires hitting the inner liners after the struts were replaced. The arep talked to his sup and reported back to me. Arnott said something like that had never happened to any of their products, indicating this is first time they have heard of this. The wanted me to pay for another set of struts, once the damage struts were received by Arnott, they would have tested the struts and provide a refund accordingly. I simply hung up the phone and made an official claim thru EBay. Once the claim was made thru EBay they shipped a new pair of struts with no questions asked.
Struts were installed; they seem a little low but not as low as the other ones. Drove the car a few hundred miles a few days ago and the car drove fine, no problems thus far; it has only been a few days so I got my fingers cross.
Old 05-11-10, 05:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Have a pic so we can see the ride height?

Only time I can think of it sitting low on stock springs is of they shipped the wrong struts and these are shorter than what they should be. In combination with a spring with the wrong rates.
Old 05-11-10, 06:22 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Have a pic so we can see the ride height?

Only time I can think of it sitting low on stock springs is of they shipped the wrong struts and these are shorter than what they should be. In combination with a spring with the wrong rates.
WOW funny say that cuz my mechanic said the same thing. He was puzzled as to why the the height of the vehicle was so low. He said the the struts seem to be to short. He explained how easy of an intall they are and he just can't figure the reason for the car being so low. I will take pics some & post.

Quick Reply: 95 LS New Coilover Conversion, Having Some Problems