LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Headliner Rattle on 91 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-02, 07:53 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner Rattle on 91 LS400

Hello all

Well my LS has 113k on it. I have noticed that there is a noticible rattle in the headliner when going over certain small bumps. If I just slightly bang on it just behind the sunroof I can repeat the rattle.

I just bought the car two weeks ago so I have no clue if it has been removed, but from looking at it it seems to be installed nice and tight in original condition minus the rattles. It sounds as if some kind of clips came loose inside.

Other than this the car runs smooth as silk and as quit as it should.

Any ideas???

Thanks
Jerry
Old 05-29-02, 11:11 PM
Lvangundy

Mine does the same, but the rattle is pretty much obvious..and ANNOYING. It's right above my head.

I cant figure out how to get the plastic side/headliner cover off.
Old 05-30-02, 12:32 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be taking off headliner again next week so tell me exactly where you hear that sound from. I'll look it up.

Lvan, check my site for the howto. No pics yet though.
Old 05-30-02, 09:40 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I fixed a similar rattle on my SC....

...not sure if the design is the same on the LS, but on my SC there is a black plastic wind deflector that pops up along the front edge when the moonroof is opened. When the roof is closed, this deflector tends to rattle against its own support arms.

Try stuffing some foam in that area and close the roof and see if that eliminates the rattle. If so, then you can cut and glue some strategically-placed rubber or foam pads to permanently fix it.
Old 05-30-02, 01:18 PM
pascualjr
Driver School Candidate

Default Headliner Rattle on 91 LS400

My '91 also has a rattle in the headliner. It's in the rear portion and I suspect that it's the cable/wire for the cell phone antenna laying on the headliner. It IS irritating as it only rattles on certain bumps!
Old 05-30-02, 09:01 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

OK guys well at least Im not the only one. Here is the best way to repeat my problem and maybe this will help you in figuring out how to fix it.

While in the drivers seat and facing forward just put your hand over and behind your head. This will put your palm hiting the headliner just behind the sunroof. If I slightly bang anywhere with in my reach I hear a rattle. It sounds as if some (well lots) of clips or screws have gone loose. I cant even begin to imagine what it is. It does not sound like a single wire for a cell phone?

Please help.
Jerry
Old 06-05-02, 07:28 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Horta
OK guys well at least Im not the only one. Here is the best way to repeat my problem and maybe this will help you in figuring out how to fix it.

While in the drivers seat and facing forward just put your hand over and behind your head. This will put your palm hiting the headliner just behind the sunroof. If I slightly bang anywhere with in my reach I hear a rattle. It sounds as if some (well lots) of clips or screws have gone loose. I cant even begin to imagine what it is. It does not sound like a single wire for a cell phone?

Please help.
Jerry
Mine was the exact same situation, sitting in driver seat, hitting headliner behind with palm. Dealer charged $75.00 to remove what he said was a lose clip but it still does it!!!!
Old 06-05-02, 07:49 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question I don't get it- how come you quote the entire post that's just above your response?

I mean...I just READ the previous post...

...and now you want me to read it AGAIN?

- Just wondering...
Old 05-03-14, 07:18 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

I had an issue similar to this in my 97 ls w 130k that I successfully fixed. It was a rattle/creak that was almost constant coming from somewhere in the moonroof. Anytime the chassis would flex I would hear it. If I put any upwArd pressure on the roof directly above me the problem would go away. So I took a flathead screwdriver and pryed off the trim on the A
pillar, a little scary but it's just a bunch of yellow clips that snap right back in. NO NEED TO TOUCH THE HEADLINER! just so you guys know lol. Where the roof meets the side of the car there is a ( picture a V but more obtuse in angle) metal bracket that attaches to the roof and side just above the front door, with a big bolt on either end. The design flaw here is that the metal of the bracket contacts the metal of the roof, so introduce motionTo the chassis and you will hear noise via friction between them. I imagine this issue will be present for many of you. Anyway all I did was loosen the bolt, pull the bracket away from its seating and slip in a thin piece of rubber behind. Tightened it back up with the rubber acting as a buffer between the two metal surfaces and problem solved. My car is silent as a grave now like a true Lexus should be!