LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90 Ls400 Timing Belt Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 10:55 AM
SEBASS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 90 Ls400 Timing Belt Replacement Question

So i just got 1990 ls400 with 167,000 miles on it and it was involved in minor accident as i saw it on autocheck and also i see radiator was replaced and i saw o-ring replaced on receipt. I looked at engine sticker and didn't see timing belt change. I think i see on one of the receipts that water pump was replaced as well but i'm not 100% sure if it was or not.

Here is a question. At 167,000 miles would timing belt be replaced at least once at some point OR possibly had to be replaced after that accident.
I'm trying to determine if it was done at least once ??? Having hard time believing that it would run 167k without change???!!!

P.S
Engine runs like a honey. I mean i had 1991 lex with 230k and 1990 this is is so much sweeter. Radiator upgrade made the car heat up faster so after few minutes in winter it's warm in the car which is not the case with original radiator.

Not sure about timing belt and the costs at mechanic shop ?
Old 03-02-10, 11:12 AM
CO-LS400
Driver

I wouldn't take the chance. If it goes your car is shot.
I just called Kuni Lexus in Colorado, They quoted me $1248 I thought that was a fair price. Considering its the dealer. My car has 90k and its a 2000.
Old 03-02-10, 11:24 AM
SEBASS
Driver School Candidate

I paid $1750 for it so that hardly justifies that cost. Besides i think i can get this way cheaper then that at my mechanic

But not sure i get what you mean by shot. I was under impression toyotas and lexus have mechanisms in engine to prevent engine damage ???
Old 03-02-10, 12:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SEBASS
I paid $1750 for it so that hardly justifies that cost. Besides i think i can get this way cheaper then that at my mechanic

But not sure i get what you mean by shot. I was under impression toyotas and lexus have mechanisms in engine to prevent engine damage ???
CO-LS400 is partially right. if the timing belt in his car goes, the engine will eat itself to pieces.

reason for this (search first next time pls ) is that the 89-94 LS400s used NON-Interference engines. so if yours hasnt been replaced its a good idea to do it (it likely has been done at least once given the age of the car, rarely do these things get reported to vin check companies) at some point soon so you dont get stranded.

the 95-00 LS400s (with both the vvt-i and non- vvt-i engines) were interference engines, in which case a timing belt snap would cause the valves to hit the pistons and cause immense damage.
Old 03-02-10, 12:07 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

My understanding is that if the belt snaps it will spin around and mess up the valves etc. What I meant by "Shot" The repairs are costly, your car will not run unless fixed.
I heard big bucks. But I might be wrong. Check the forums.
I think the lexus is not non-interference meaning if it breaks it will cause damage. I'll let the other members chime in..
Old 03-02-10, 12:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by CO-LS400
My understanding is that if the belt snaps it will spin around and mess up the valves etc. What I meant by "Shot" The repairs are costly, your car will not run unless fixed.
I heard big bucks. But I might be wrong. Check the forums.
I think the lexus is not non-interference meaning if it breaks it will cause damage. I'll let the other members chime in..
you are the one who needs to check the forum as well as READING what i type.

the '95-00 (including yours) LS400s ARE using interference engines

the '89-94 (the OP's car) have NON-Interference engines.
Old 03-02-10, 01:36 PM
SEBASS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
......the '95-00 (including yours) LS400s ARE using interference engines. the '89-94 (the OP's car) have NON-Interference engines.
So mine being 90 will NOT cause ANY harm to the engine? or it will to some degree ? Last ls400 i had timing belt done at 90k and it ran to 228k on second belt and belt didn't break (car was totaled) I guess what i'm getting at is that if belt was changed then i won't need to do anything for another 100k at which point i will get gs430, which is what i'm planning on in short term. However if belt has not been changed i wouldn't want it to break like tomorrow! I paid $1750 for it and it was worth every penny but not sure i want to do major repairs since i would be either getting sc400 or gs430 soon. This was type of emergency buy type. Any way to tell if belt was done or not? I know it was in enough of an accident that radiator was replaced but engine is so unbelievably smooth that it better then my previous one. Car drives straight as an arrow too.

How do i tell if belt was done? Would lexus dealer give me access to repair bills done at their dealership by previous owner ?
Old 03-02-10, 01:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

if the belt breaks, the cover might be shredded and you may need to change the tensioner and idler, but the engine itself will be fine.

if you register the car w/vin on the lexus.com website you can view dealership history.

im not sure but i believe if you remove the timing belt cover the belt itself might have a year on it. if its newer than 1990 it should say so.
Old 03-02-10, 01:44 PM
SEBASS
Driver School Candidate

if the belt breaks, the cover might be shredded and you may need to change the tensioner and idler, but the engine itself will be fine.

if you register the car w/vin on the lexus.com website you can view dealership history.

im not sure but i believe if you remove the timing belt cover the belt itself might have a year on it. if its newer than 1990 it should say so.
uggggghhh.....that's a tough choice. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
The year on the belt it's a brilliant idea if in fact it shows. I guess i could have a mechanic take a look at it.

Do these belts last that long tho? That's pretty long!
Old 03-02-10, 02:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

it all depends on the way it was driven and where it was driven.

few aftermarket belts would last that long though.
Old 03-02-10, 02:30 PM
SEBASS
Driver School Candidate

it all depends on the way it was driven and where it was driven.

few aftermarket belts would last that long though.
So based on what you're saying since it lasted 167k miles then original would have been broken long time ago which implies it was changed once already ?
Am i understanding this correctly?

If i have this done what belt should i get ? best one ? bosch?
Old 03-02-10, 04:19 PM
travisfry
Driver School Candidate

I have a 94 with almost 150k miles on it, and it has the original timing belt(been meaning to get it replaced...). So it is possible.
Old 03-02-10, 04:21 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

You say that you think the water pump was changed. If it was then more then likely the t-belt was also changed seeing how it has to come off to get to the WP. They say the t-belt should be changed at 60k as normal maintanance so if the previous owner took care of the car (like it should be) then I would say it was changed, twice. But, who knows? If you are at all mechanicly inclined you should change it yourself. The parts are cheap enough. If you are scared that it might snap on you and leave you stranded then do it. It wont ruin your engine, like PureDrifter says, the 1990 is a NON-interference engine. That is what made my choice between a '93 or a '95 go towards the '93, so if it does snap it wouldn't bend the valves.
About which belt to get, go for the best one so it will give you more confidence on lasting longer. This is not a part to skimp on. Don't try and save $20 on a $600 job.
Old 03-02-10, 06:27 PM
SEBASS
Driver School Candidate

I have this mechanic work order but it was not lexus dealer so its hard to tell from his scrible what was done. Maybe i should post it. Maybe some can decyper his work.
I think water pump was done cause it list water pump and also p/s leak (replaced?)
Also lists 90k t-belt? with the question mark so not sure if it was done or not.

I'll call this honest mechanic (believe it or not) and if it's $600 i will get that done but not sure about $1200 as that car almost cost that much. lol. Let me know if anyone wants to take a stab at the work order? Looks like his brother the original owner was going to dealer with even light bulb replacement but his brother the second owner said he just changed the oil so i don't expect second owner to change belt but maybe first one did.
I must say engine at 162k is still like new. Way better then my previous 230k ls400....i know it's the mileage. I can't believe it with those miles those engines run like honey.

P.S
BTW Thank you everyone for quick and great support. Nice support forum here. Thanks everyone again.

Last edited by SEBASS; 03-02-10 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Thanks
Old 03-02-10, 09:42 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

yeah give us a crack at the work order if they did the waterpump( hopefully they did) you should kill them if the previous owner didnt do the belt .... Did you try to call the shop since you have the workorder? they keep records, you have the po name number and address so give them that and they should be able to look up what all he got done there GOODLUCK

Quick Reply: 90 Ls400 Timing Belt Replacement Question