LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Advice on a 1997 LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 11:28 AM
Bretsuaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a 1997 LS

I originally was looking at a 1999 LS400 that was immaculate. 79,000 miles, one owner, all records, 90k mile service done at 73k, new starter for $9,900.00. Missed it by one day. Called on friday to tell them I would take it, but it sold thursday nite.

At that point I decided I would probably have better luck at finding an ES300. However, today while I was looking I found a 1997 LS400 with 140k miles. Its a one owner Arizona car, and said to be in good condition. The owner no longer needs the car, and asked their independent mechanic to sell it for them. He has and knows the whole history on this car. All maintenance is up to date including all fluids and timing belt. Newer brakes and tires.

He is asking $6,000.00 but I think I can get it for around $5,500.00 which is a good price in this area.

I am a Toyota/Lexus fan, and think I would really like this car. I know its an older car with alot of miles, and is going to have some problems. I have heard that these are great motors and will last a long time when maintained properly. Should I be overly concerned about the high miles? Anything quirky about the 97s? Any advice of things to look at when I test drive it?

Any feedback is appreciated.

p.s. I have owned only one other lexus. It was a 92 SC400. It was nice, but I don't think that the previous owner had taken very good care of it. Is this the same motor in this 97?
Old 02-18-10, 12:06 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Ask to see the actual maintenance records for the entire life of the car. Was only the timing belt replaced or were all the other usual parts also replaced -- water pump, idlers, tensioner, etc.

It's all about maintenance. Make sure none has been deferred. Check that all the power accessories work including the tilt/telescope steering wheel.

Is there anyway you can tell if the previous owner(s) was a "normal owner" or if he "drove the wheels" off of the car. I once bought an S-Class Mercedes that I swear the previous/only owner must have punished to death -- I should have known since he replaced it with a top Porsche model.

My 2000 LS400 is still driving like and looking almost like new at 120,000 miles -- but the person who leased it for its first three years and I both maintained it perfectly, never let anything go and we both drove it rather gently. I drove my first LS400 from new until 183,500 miles and it was like new when I sold it after 13 1/2 years -- it's current owner has about 275,000 miles on it and says he's going to keep it "forever". These cars can last a long time if properly cared for -- if not, they can be a money pit.

Last edited by Kansas; 02-18-10 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-18-10, 01:24 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Already suspesious when "asked an independent mechanic to sell it for them" make sure you check it out thouroughly and do car fax, documented records. If it is well taken care of it should last you a while. Assume you will have to put 1500 into it if you do your own work right off the bat. And NEVER NEVER NEVER trust what they tell you without verification. Actually the more they talk the less I believe what they say. To bad you can't find a 98
Old 02-18-10, 01:26 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

If you can find a car that was dealer maintained, that is the best because you can get all of the maintenance records (or at least confirm that certain standard services were done) on Lexus's website.

My 1997 with 112k is driving almost like new, as well. However, I would probably prefer a 1998-2000 model just because it looks better and has a much superior (in my opinion) 5 speed automatic and has variable valve timing.
Old 02-18-10, 02:23 PM
rob22
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 1997 from a private party back in 2007 with 170K on it. Right now it has about 201K on it and I've had no unexpected problems with it yet. It's been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, up there with my 88 Camry. Definitely check the stuff that the other posters mention, here are a couple other points that you might know already:

Motor mounts - have these looked at, chances are they're bad unless the previous owner took really good care of the car. In shopping for both my 94 and 97, I noticed that most seemed to have bad mounts. Grab the gearshift when the engine's running, if you feel anything other than a slight vibration then chances are at least the tranny mount is out. It's several hundred $ to have these replaced.

EGR pipe - with the engine cold, accelerate from a stop...if you hear a puffing/exhaust note then chances are it's out. Mine was, these commonly go out.

Power steering - listen for a whine from the pump

Suspension - drive it over speed bumps and listen for abnormal noises, lots of stuff on the forum for this.

Climate/radio LCD - the Gen 2s don't black out like the Gen 1s, but the numbers eventually fail to light and you can't see the radio station numbers correctly.

Tranny fluid - make sure it's red, one of the cars that I test drove had regular ATF and was shifting poorly.

Seatbelts - make sure they still retract properly and don't sag.

I avoided TRAC and air suspension

Most of the above stuff doesn't need to be fixed immediately and can be used as leverage when negotiating. Buying from a mechanic will be difficult as he'll be familiar with the car and will argue back with you on cost etc.

The ideal seller is the wealthy guy/gal who doesn't know the technical aspects of cars but kept up with maintenance on the vehicle...this seller will gladly knock off hundreds (maybe a thousand) just to close the deal. My seller originally posted for around $6.5K, I checked out the car but (politely) passed due to some incomplete maintenance. A couple weeks later I got a call back from the seller, she was getting these idiots calling her and harassing her over price, gotta sell it for cheaper etc. She emailed me back and asked if I'd take it for around $5K. I went back, had a mechanic check it out and showed her the repairs needed (think it was shocks, EGR, motor mounts, P/S rack - it was leaking a little) and the total was around $2K. She met me halfway and we closed at $4K. My indy is $100/hr, whereas Lexus charges $150/hr...in retrospect it might have been better to have the Lexus dealer do the check-out as you get better leverage with the higher rate.

Hope this helps, good luck and take your time. The market is pretty soft on the Gen 1 and 2s.
Old 02-18-10, 02:30 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

I agree that you should avoid the air suspension. They all go bad very fast.

The only way I'd get an air suspension is if I had to. I believe the 2001+ "Ultra-luxury" package was only available with the air suspension.
Old 02-18-10, 05:27 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a catch 22. Dealership mechanics more times than not are hacks = my experience.
Seems alot of Lexus fans think '97s are as perfect as the LS ever came so you got a plus there.
Definitely have it checked by a Toyota/Lexus experienced mechanic or if all else fails a dealer.
If the sale falls through walk away knowing it was for the best.
Old 02-18-10, 06:18 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

I doubt the mechanics are EVER hacks. It's those damn service writers...