LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

brighter headlights for 1990 LS 400?

Old 02-24-10, 04:47 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

hids wont do that in eagle eyes....they will have a controlled enviroment, but since they have a reflective type housing i dont know how effective they will be.you did say u have eagle eyes sam?
Old 02-24-10, 07:01 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No I have the stock headlight but I can always retrofit it to eagle eyes. How well do the eagle eyes with halogen a good halogen bulb work?
Old 02-24-10, 07:04 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

someone who has time on their hands and has done it before (and can do a good job) ought to do projector retrofits on eagle eyes and sell them. While they are at it they should make the side markers transparent like the one I saw and the eagle eye post. Anyone?
Old 02-24-10, 10:26 AM
thadword
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by python
hids wont do that in eagle eyes....they will have a controlled enviroment, but since they have a reflective type housing i dont know how effective they will be.you did say u have eagle eyes sam?
Python, are the fog lights with your eagle set up yellow?
Old 02-24-10, 04:49 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thadword
Python, are the fog lights with your eagle set up yellow?
I'll chime in since I have the eagle eyes... The H3 fog bulbs that come with the eagle eye's are clear. A silverstar bulb with the eagle eyes will be a significant improvement over the OEM lenses. I have the eagle eye's with HID's and I'm very happy with it. I've never had anyone flash their high beams at me at night.

Jim
Old 02-24-10, 05:18 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never had a glare problem with standard halogen housings using hid bulbs. simply aim them. i've purposely had someone drive my car while i sat in another car just to see how much glare there was. no more than standard halogen bulbs. even stock halogens glare, it's just that they're dimmer than hids' which is why peopel think the HID is at fault. it's not, it's just brighter everywhere.
Old 02-24-10, 05:41 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 19psi
never had a glare problem with standard halogen housings using hid bulbs. simply aim them.
19PSI,

With the 1st Gen, the design of the headlight is such that the lens scatters the light in a way that you can't really adjust them down to stop the glare. The light just fly's everywhere. I had tried HID's in my 1st Gen with the OEM headlight lenses and people were flashing their high beams at me on a regular basis. So I went with the Eagle Eye's & HID's. I can see so much better and no one flashes their high beams at me anymore.

Jim
Old 02-25-10, 07:33 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I'll chime in since I have the eagle eyes... The H3 fog bulbs that come with the eagle eye's are clear. A silverstar bulb with the eagle eyes will be a significant improvement over the OEM lenses. I have the eagle eye's with HID's and I'm very happy with it. I've never had anyone flash their high beams at me at night.

Jim
which kit do u have? do u have any problems with one light not coming on intermittently? how much were they and do u notice a difference over the silverstars?
Old 02-25-10, 08:39 AM
thadword
Driver

Jim
Thanks Jim
Old 02-25-10, 05:38 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by python
which kit do u have? do u have any problems with one light not coming on intermittently? how much were they and do u notice a difference over the silverstars?
Originally, I bought the Volt Bi-Xenon Kit from Steve at Xenon Depot. The lights themselves had a defect, they were made wrong. I ended up keeping the kit (ballasts, relay and wiring harness), except for the lights, and Steve worked out an amicable credit for me. He stated that Volt was having problems with the bulbs in the bi-xenon kit at the time. I don't see the bi-xenon kit for sale on their website anymore, so they may have stopped selling it for this reason. I then bought two 5000k bi-xenon bulbs from this site and they work fine: http://www.xerayusa.com/hid/xenonbulbs.php

They don't list the 5000k on their website, but if you call them, they have them.

I considered the quality of the ballasts in the Volt kit to be very good, so I kept them. They are slim ballasts with a relatively low draw at startup.

I haven't had any problems with either of the lights turning off or not coming on with this configuration. I did experienced this problem in the past with a different kit. The issue was caused by a defective ballast from day one.

I never ran Silverstars with the Eagle Eye's. I went straight to HID's when I put the Eagle Eye's in. Otherwise I would have had to modify the bulb sockets on my 1st Gen to accept the 9003 Silverstar bulbs.

Jim

Last edited by JimsGX; 02-25-10 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 07:25 AM
python
Lexus Champion

ok thanks jim
Old 03-01-10, 05:03 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

I'm thinking about getting the eagle lights for my 94 but when i looked for them on ebay, in the auction description it says that its not compatible with hids? How are some of you guys able to use hid kit with yours?

Heres a link to the ones i'm talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...item20afb02880

Right now my current setup is stock headlights with an aftermarket hid kit. My driver side headlight has a broken tab so the light sags a little bit and it bothers me. I looked on ebay for a replacement but they're so expensive. I want better lighting so i'm thinking about switching to the eagle headlights if they can be used with my hid kit that i have now.
Old 03-02-10, 05:50 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexGX
in the auction description it says that its not compatible with hids? How are some of you guys able to use hid kit with yours?
I don't know. Maybe they're covering their butt legally. I have them installed with HID's. No problems here...

Your current setup is crapola! Been there, done that...

Jim
Old 03-02-10, 05:53 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

I don't know. Maybe they're covering their butt legally. I have them installed with HID's. No problems here...

Your current setup is crapola! Been there, done that...

Jim
Yea i know its total crap but for right now its better than stock light output. I'm gonna save some money and get the eagle eyes.
Old 03-02-10, 06:02 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexGX
Yea i know its total crap but for right now its better than stock light output. I'm gonna save some money and get the eagle eyes.
I should have been more specific... The way the 1st Gen OEM headlight lenses scatter the HID light is tough on oncoming cars... When I had this set up, I had some approaching cars on dark side roads actually pull over until I passed them because it was so blinding. I got flashed all the time too...

I didn't mean for it to be a personal criticism of your set up...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brighter headlights for 1990 LS 400?