LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hi, just got an LS400!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 01:04 PM
rojo412
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi, just got an LS400!

New to this forum, but not forums in general, so I will try to avoid newb mistakes...

I sold my 94 Camry wagon and not 5 minutes later, an LS pops up on craigslist. It just so happens to belong to an acquaintance of mine and I've drooled over the car many times. And today was my lucky day! Well, yesterday sort of, but I get to take the car today, so WOOO HOOO!

1990 LS 400, 210k (or so) well maintained miles. Lowered a little on performance suspension, 2 sets of wheels - winter 16 with snows, summer chrome 18s (Anteras with nitto 555r), interior leather was all redone to brand new oem black leather, power everything and it all works, body has a little rust, but I'm in Cleveland, OH and any 20 year old car that runs has rust (this is less than most, though). And it was only slightly more than my Camry sold for, so I couldn't resist. Knowing the owner and his history was key, but I can't deny that the fact that the NEW interior was something i could pass up.

Pics will come, but to the experts... what should I be on the lookout for on this car? I don't know much about them, honestly. I just know that a 250hp RWD car w/traction control makes me quiver a little bit with joy.
Old 02-09-10, 02:26 PM
orangeteg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome ... i myself just joined and purchased a 99 ls 400 about a week ago...
Old 02-09-10, 02:53 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

do searches on power steering leaks, timing belts, front end steering and suspension, dash board displays and you'll cover a lot of the things that often come up. sounds like wheels and suspension are covered. when you say "well maintained", do you have the service records? they will tell you a lot.
Old 02-09-10, 08:32 PM
97CE LS400
Rookie

Congrats on ur purchase.....hope the rust doesnt get any worst.....those midwest winters & road salt are rough on cars.
Old 02-09-10, 08:44 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

congrats on the ride
Old 02-09-10, 09:09 PM
rojo412
Driver School Candidate

I just picked it up tonight, in the 2" of snow that fell...

HOLY #$$%@^#%$&*#^&!!! This car is amazing. With the snow tires and traction control, it's way better than my Camry was.
And of course, with the trac off, the ECT on and the pedal revving a bit, it handles like an action movie cop car. I LOVE IT!

Other than that, it's luxurious, powerful, leather, warm-seat goodness made me smile from ear to ear.

Just praying it passes echeck! BTW, anyone know how long you can legally drive with the title signed over and a valid plate for a car that already has been sold?
Old 02-09-10, 09:12 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Your question is endemic to your particular state. Just pray that they don't run your plates just for the heck of it. They do that here, so you couldn't be caught dead playing license plate hanky-panky.
Your car will pass the e-check, don't worry about that part.
Old 02-09-10, 09:20 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

hi man i just sold my black on black LS4OO!!!! i miss it!!
Old 02-09-10, 09:51 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like its in excellent condition !!! Show us some pics
Old 02-09-10, 10:14 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iloveGS4xx
hi man i just sold my black on black LS4OO!!!! i miss it!!
I thought that your first car was a GS??
Old 02-09-10, 10:46 PM
rojo412
Driver School Candidate

Here's the first bad pics... its dark what can I say?
It's silver over like a black pearl. And the wheels are tiny, but effective. More to come tmw.

Old 02-09-10, 11:09 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Welcome to CL, don't forget to search as there is TONS of information online.

Got any plans for the LS?
Old 02-09-10, 11:27 PM
rojo412
Driver School Candidate

I plan on doing "phases" with this car. It's supposed to be my daily driver, classy ride, so I can't go too nuts and won't count chickens before they hatch. And rarely do I get to my final phase, but basically it's like this:

Phase 0, which is done already by the previous owner is suspension and wheels. The summer wheels for this car are insane! And lowered with good stuff (forgot what exactly, but he was a high end guy). So it's already ready for the warmer weather in that respect.

Phase 1 is to make it all nice and pretty and suit my needs. Clean up some stuff, get a stereo situated, replace bulbs, fix minor issues. Get it ready to roll for today.

Phase 2 is going to be redoing any suspension bushings and making the car handle even better than it does now. Come spring, my buddy wants me to autocross this thing.

Phase 3 is exhaust. It's stock or close to it at this point, but it needs some love (and if it fails echeck, it will need a miracle to bump this up to phase 1). Plus, I think it could sound a bit throatier. A friend of mine can make me something custom and I am leaving that to him! The one he did for his car is very nice and it cost him very little.

Phase 4 will be body work. It's not terrible as it sits, but there's no reason to do it yet, as winter will make short work of anything newly redone.

Phase 5 is the magical stage that may never happen, but should I be completely infatuated with this car (and I am loving it so far after 4 hours with it!) it could be a candidate for a huge performance boost. Turbo kit? Supercharger? 2JZ swap? Not that I foresee having the kind of money it takes to do that any time soon, but a guy can dream, can't he? Like I said, I have a buddy of mine who does good work with cars, he's well versed in turbo, so I will dream a bit with his guidance and see what pans out.

But basically, my main goal is to make this car handle incredibly well. My tax return should make this pretty nice, may get me through the exhaust. Body work come spring or summer. If I haven't lost love for this lovely beast, I will price out a performance upgrade.
Old 02-09-10, 11:38 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude looks nice.

Whats up with the bumper lens? did he put smoked clear on the front and amber on the side? Different, kind of cool.
Old 02-10-10, 06:34 AM
rojo412
Driver School Candidate

IT PASSED ECHECK!!!! I am on cloud nine right now. The last few cars scarred and scared me, but this was a breeze!

FYI, in Ohio at least, if you get a title and run a current, up to date plate from the previous car, that can act as your temp tag for up to 30 days. This is straight from the DMV.

And I need to get more pics up, not sure on the bumper thing.

Quick Reply: Hi, just got an LS400!