LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP! AIR SUSPENSION "High" light is blinking constantly , intermittanly

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 01:37 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! AIR SUSPENSION "High" light is blinking constantly , intermittanly

hello,
I have recently changed the front left airshock on my ls400 and the shock is good but just minor leak at the tube where it connects to the shock. that's it! The air system had been working fine before to pump it back up if it shall go down slowly after couple hours or so.

So now recently the air system seems to work only intermittanly , as to recently only on start up of the vehicle to get it back up to riding height after parking for few hours. But now it is not going on and pumping at all and I am stuck on left front all the way down. The airsuspension "hi" light is stuck on blinking . I even tried to turn the airsuspention switch in the back of the trunk on and off and now it still does not work , does not turn on the airsuspension pump.

1)Please advice as to what can be the problem. i need a quick fix.
2) Is there maybe a way to reset the system so that it goes back on?
Old 02-06-10, 02:04 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

all experts or regulars please help with as much info as possible . on how to get it back on again so that the side with go up i can't drive like this. thank you
Old 02-06-10, 03:44 PM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to read the trouble code for the suspension and tell us what you get. Then it's much easier to help you. To read the code, follow the procedure at lexls.com for reading trac codes etc. See http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html. Your car have to be running when you read the code.

Had have a similar problem with my air suspension. Had a trouble code to ("hi" light blinking) and sometimes the car wouldn't rise itself. Turn out just to be a bad connection in the connector to the front left hight position sensor. Just sprayed 5-56 (similar to WD40) in the connector and after a few days the problem was gone and never came back.
Old 02-06-10, 07:28 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Unhappy

Thanks Jandersson,
I saw what you wrote that it can be the height sensor connection . The problem appeared during our rain storm here last week with continuous rain for days!

1)I need to read the trac code for this right and do I need to jump any circuits and where is the circuit located in my 94 ls400?

2) And if i spray with 5-56 can i just use wd40? And do i just spray it all over the height sensor from top to bottom?

Hoping i can get this fixed tonight as the front left is completely down and rediculously annoying / nerve wrecking to drive
More details on both please thank you
=)
Old 02-07-10, 02:14 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Default Trouble codes air suspension

1) No, you have to read the code for the suspension. The procedure to read the code for the suspension is the same as when reading the code for the trc etc. You have to count how many times the "hi" light is blinking, procedure is mention at Lexls. Again, as mention at Lexls, you have to place a jumper over Tc and E1 in the diagnostic port. You can find this port in the kick panel above the parking brake padel. For the trouble codes and how to check them, see attached pdf.

2) Yes you can use wd40 or any spray the remove damp in electrical connections and make the connection better. You have to disconnect connector and spray in it. You can find the connectors for the hight sensors in the wheel arches (one connector per sensor). You have to remove the wheel to see it.

The information in the attached pdf's are from alldatadiy.com. I can recommend you to start a subscription there.
Attached Files
Old 02-13-10, 05:15 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

gonna attemp to read the suspension code now . jump the tc and e1 port and see what kind of code i got? thank you
Old 02-16-10, 10:45 PM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a problem with my air suspension as well, but it "fixed itself" when my dad (who bought the car) drove it to figure out what was wrong with it. it fixed itself. My dad claims it was because the car knew his master. sigh, what i really think was that i drove through snow and ice and some of it got somewhere it shouldnt have and when the warmer weather came along, it melted and evaporated.

though, now that i think about it, mine would fill up to really high, then slowly just leak until it got too low, then fill up again. from what i read your's doesnt fill up at all? sorry bud, but jandersson has the best advice
Old 02-17-10, 05:33 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

hello J anderson,

i have done the code check and got codes 11, 12, 13,21,22 but
which is height control sensor front right , front left , rear right,then front control actuator circuit, then rear control actuator circuit.
I was thinking are those just stored code that was never cleared, cause when i got the car it had a blown front left shock with holes in it , then i replaced it and it was working fine for months like i said , then when then the 1-2 weeks rain storm came is when it was acting up , also i had removed the front left and right height sensor connector sprayed wd 40 in it and let it dry out , could that be causeing the codes? It was working perfectly so any advice now? how long should i spray the connector and should i use those connector grease thing ?

thank you in advanced!
Old 02-17-10, 06:00 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Please help on this as it is super stressful to drive with one side down
all the way.

Did I need to reset the codes first by disconnecting the battery?

thank you
Old 02-18-10, 01:52 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Yes I will recommend that you disconect the battery to clear the memory of the suspension ECU of any stored codes an then do a new reading.

I would also make sure that the suspension ECU are dry by putting some kind of heater in your trunk (the suspension ECU are placed on the right side in the trunk I think). Just make sure the heater can't get to hot.

And sorry for not answering faster but you have to have the time difference in mind.
Old 02-18-10, 04:16 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Cool

Dear Janderson and others,

I have reset the codes and previously i got 11,12,13,21,22
then now only error codes
So that is the right rear height sensor ,
and rear actuator circuit ,

I will take off my wheel tonight and take a look at the connector , use wd 40 dry it up and apply the dielectric grease to it and see if that will fix the rear right circuit. Any advice please?>
Old 02-18-10, 04:17 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

its been couple weeks already since our rain storm can that connection still have water in it or, is the actual height sensor broken. please see symtoms from above .thank you
Old 02-18-10, 11:05 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Also, I am attempting to get to the rear right height control circuit now since it is now showing a code 13 and 22 . right rear height control circuit open or short circuit .
Could it just be the rain water got into it or is it just a damage sensor or connector. I am trying to take it out now and found a red wire sliced on the part where the wire connects to the rear sensor. I have taken it all out now but can't seem to find a way to or where to disconnect the rear sensor away from the car so that i can either repair it or replace it . ? Any pics or instructions on how to do it. Any advice on how to diagnose this now? Thank you in advance=) i also have pics of the rear height sensor thank you

Last edited by LS400JDM2; 02-19-10 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-20-10, 04:09 AM
JAndersson
Driver

See attached pdf's on how to diagnose your trouble codes. Hope that answers some of your questions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DTC 22.pdf (139.8 KB, 1218 views)
File Type: pdf
DTC 13.pdf (142.2 KB, 830 views)
Old 02-22-10, 02:47 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

ok i have taken apart the sensor and put it back in without the rods then next day it worked all of a suddenly while i was parking it at the super market then it was working fine last night until i start my car today then it was pumping air in the car then seems like the rears got really high as i was on a slant then it stops working all together again
! cannot figure out why? is there a way to reset the system again ?

Quick Reply: HELP! AIR SUSPENSION "High" light is blinking constantly , intermittanly