LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400 rear upper brake light HELPPP

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-02, 11:14 AM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1995 LS400 rear upper brake light HELPPP

Hello All

New to the forum

I have a problem with the third rear brake light, the bulb has blown, I figure I would at least be able to change a rear light bulb, found out real fast what a job this is, has any of you guys changed the rear upper brake light, if so can you explain how to do it, don't want to take to the dealer for a bulb replacement, probably will charge arm and leg for the installment.

thanks guys love reading on this forum.
Old 05-23-02, 09:00 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed mine in my 96 LS. It gets changed from inside the car by the rear deck not from the trunk like some may say. Grap a wide flat screwdriver and wedge it under the plastic cap surrounding it. There are two taps on it that you have to push towards the back of the car. They are located facing the seats not on the side though. Just keep moving the flat screrwdriver around and you will feel them then push them backwards carefully and the housing will pop up. Let me know how you make out.
Old 05-25-02, 06:09 AM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Talking you were right brake light

Hey Sharp,

You were right on the money, I did exactly like you said, Poped right
off, I can't believe I was in the back of the trunk ripping out
the undercover and screws to get to the rear brake light, what a
no-brainer, lexus would have charged maybe $200 bucks for
that to be installed, That's Sharp,

Not how about another ?. My LS has a slight howl coming from
the engine more like a crackiling sound, I was told that I needed a
egr pipe. was wondering did you hear anything like that before.
ever had that part replaced? will post on the forum also.

thanks sharp, wwest

dj

Last edited by djr73999; 05-25-02 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-25-02, 11:27 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

No problem on helping you out with that brake light!!!!

Does you car making a howling sound when your sitting still or driving or both? Usually that sound means you need a water pump if its the sound I think it is which can be expensive to change but I haven't heard of water pumps going bad so I doubt that is the problem. Also have you changed your air filter lately? Your air filter can be clogged and not enough air is getting into the engine causing the engine to howl becuase of the lack of air.
Whats the milege on your car? Autozone sells the air filter for 20 bucks if you need one.

Lexus told you that you need an "egr" pipe? You sure they said "pipe" and not "VAVLE"? I think EGR=Exhaust Gas Regulator as far as I know. If its the valve its like 5 bucks at Autozone. Its also a no- brainer to change. The only way to tell if its the valve is pull it out and shake it and see if it makes a clicking sound. If its the pipe then you have a hole in it causing it to howl. It could be the pipe! Did lexus look at the car already?

To get to it there is the tube going into the valve cover right behind the oil fill. Pull the rubber and the valve up and out of the valve cover. Then pull the end piece out and thats the egr valve. Shake it and if you hear it clicking then it is still GOOD meaning it is not clogged. If there is no cligging sound then you need to replace it (its completely clogged up) You can buy a new one at any auto parts store like Autozone.

A few other tips:
Make sure to use premium gas not cheap crap because that will clog the valve also. Try to fill your car up when you have a quarter of a tank left no less otherwise you will suck up all the dirt and sludge that settles at the bottom of the tank. Also pick up a bottle of Chevron with techron fuel injector cleaner at autozone for 6 bucks and put that in the next time you fill up your tank. Its the best fuel injector cleaner on the market!!!!! Make sure it says "CHEVRON WITH TECHRON" no OTHERS!!!!!!

I would change the air filter, valve, and put in a bottle of the fuel injector cleaner first. Total cost 30 bucks! If it still makes the noise then it could be EGR pipe they told you about or the water pump. I very highly doubt its the water pump though!!!! If I was you I would try to find a good cheap private mechanic that works on Japaneese cars in your area. Someone who is familiar with Toyota. Its the same car!!! :eek: :eek:

Let me know you make out.
Old 05-25-02, 11:46 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Correction:

Its a black metal pipe ( L shape) going into the valve cover not rubber! Pull that off and check the valve as well as the pipe to see if there is a visable hole.

Old 05-25-02, 02:56 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Question egr pipe

Hey Sharp,

the sound is defintiely a crackling slight pinging noise, At first like u said I thought it was the gas I was using, but I have always used 91 octane premium. I have had the LS for 4 years and constantly have used premium. So when I first heard the noise I immediately took to the Lexus dealer(of course they found the PS Pump bad)replaced that about a year ago. I told the service guy, he had one of the tech's come out, we rode in the car together,he stopped the car raised the hood had me rev the engine, then pointed out that the sound definitely was not right, of course it was making the crackling sound while standing still or driving.

so he took the car in the lexus dock lifted it and pointed out to me that it was the egr pipe(not value I said the same thing u said could it be the value) he also stated it was very unusual for that to happen(cracked pipe) so the news came back to me of a estimate of $700 bucks to fix,(egr pipe $93)labor is a joke $600.
I don't know what he did to tell me why that egr pipe was bad but he advised me that it was, I will check for myself just like you instruted.
You're right I don't need a water pump they definitely would have told me so(more $$$ for them).
Also Sharp I have been looking for a private mechanic to work on the Lexus, but I have had no luck whatsoever All the mechanics see $$$ signs and tell me that they can fix whatever I need, and u know that doesn't sound right on that type of vehicle(but I could be wrong)

I have 137K. I will check on that air filter and injector cleaner at autozone.
So what do u think?
Sorry for the long post.

dj
Old 05-25-02, 02:58 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Sharp,
How many miles on your LS? How long have you have it? Has it been flawless? what repairs.

dj
Old 05-25-02, 07:00 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Sharp,

OK,where shall I start, I was told by the rep that he had to drop the trans in order to get to the egr pipe,so I figured it must be located in the engine, but it just doesn't make sense to me, so what I did was call another Lexus dealership they said a totally diffferent thing for them to do,(don't have to drop the trans) their cost would be $230w/me suppling the part, sounds a whole lot more resonanbly than $700(no I definitely do not like spending $$$) I found the egr pipe for $67 bucks, if your friend can beat that I' ll take it. it just astounds
me that Lexus can charge so much to install a L pipe,
Yes I do belong to Costco's. I will purchase a case of Chevron tomorrow for sure.

That's funny I bought mine w/ 70k It was flawless, didn't have to do anything until I reached 111K, I replaced the PS Pump,both F ball joints,new rotors and pads(standard),both strut bar assblys.

Now here comes the problem with the egr pipe, my LS is sandstone w/ the biege interior also w/ the Nak/ wo/traction control/ w/ chrome wheels w/ Michelin MX Tires .

One more thing Sharp, After lexus finished my brakes and rotors,1 week later my ABS started to blink on and off I immediately took back to the dealer to find what the problem was, the same tech who told me about the egr pipe came and retrieved me to show me that somehow I ran over a pothole or something sharp and cut the ABS center left sensor(reason the light will not go off)boy was I on fire!!!

Just seems like to many concidences happening after I have left the Lexus dealer, well of course they said they could fix it and order the part. I didn't give them time to tell me a price I jetted. To upset to discuss the matter. Called back a day later my service guy said he asked the tech(because I figure he cut it on something while changing the rotors and pads)and he said he did right likely story, so I said the hell with it.
All and all I'm changing dealerships, we have 2 that are close to myself in Michigan.

By the way how do you like that remote car starter. I want that but didn't want it to interfere with anything eletrical.
checked that starter motor recall when purchased said it was fine, but I will tell u I didn't have the timing belt changed yet knock on wood.

dj

Last edited by djr73999; 05-25-02 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-25-02, 08:58 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

By the way, if your car never had the Timing belt changed I would recommend having it done before it snaps on you expecially if you drive it hard and have a lead foot like I do. Lexus recommends it done every 60-70k so technically you should be getting ready to put the second one in. Some dealers say every 100k but I trust the manual and my shop who says 60k. I know its not a cheap job cause they do have to open the engine. See if they can give you a good rate on both the pipe and belt and you will be a repeat customer. To work with you!!!! Like 400-500 hundred for both tasks. I am only telling you this if you are still driving on the original belt. Preventive maintanance is the key!!
Old 05-26-02, 08:22 AM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Yeah Sharp

You're right I think I need to check on that timing belt replacement, I guess I was reading some messages from previous owners, everyone said theirs was fine but of course I don't want to take that chance.

Yeah I'm still a little upset about the excuses they gave me. everyone definitely likes the way the LS rides. are you going to keep your LS or get a new LS430 or GS430, I think I will

keep this one for another 60K then get a LS430, buddy of mine has one I Love it.

How is your suspension doing, look out
for the strut bars. My cousin just purchased a 98 LS400 on my recommendation everything is fine except for the same strut bar assembly needs to be replaced,it has the same thunk feeling when going over potholes, other than that he loves it. best car he ever owns.

Yeah Sharp I don't think I ran over anything with that velocity to cut that ABS sensor they're feeding me BS(I know it)I will bite the bullet this time but they have lost my business for sure.
I'm still thinking about that remote starter here in Mi it's get damn cold would definitely come in handy, I had one on my previous Acura Legend worked like a champ.

dj
Old 05-26-02, 09:04 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Talking

I believe my rear strut bar assembly was replaced just prior to me buying it in early 1999. When the cars up on a lift I see its been dated "1999" but no records from Lexus show it and the previous owner wasn't to sure what was with that done. He use to just pay $$$$$ whatever needed done (one of those guys). My mechanic said it looked replaced. So I will just have to play it by ear and see what the future holds.

For now I am keeping it, not looking to get another as of yet. I guess when things start going wrong then I will consider it. Maybe in a yr or so but who knows.

I just moved to California in Dec, I came from NYC so I know about the cold harsh winters thats why I had it installed. Plus the NYC roads are terrible unlike out here in sunny Southern Cali!
Old 05-26-02, 05:40 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Sharp

Another ?

I went and purchased the Cheron fuel injector cleaner today and filled up the gas tank,
I also looked at what you described about the egr valve
what I seen was a copper type L pipe coming out of the
back of the vavle, would that be where the egr valve is located?
Can you describe exactly what to do and how to take off the copper pipe it has
2 screws coming out of it, would that be the one.
I put my ear as close as possible the sounds is coming from the top not the bottom(could be wrong)
but it defintely sounds like from the top.

dj
Old 05-26-02, 05:57 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

By the way it sounds like a hole in the muffler somewhat muffle sound
from the top of the valve cover, I'm really starting to wonder
if it is just the egr valve that is bad.

dj
Old 05-27-02, 03:26 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

I doubt that its only the egr valve making the noise! I would put a new valve anyway just for the hell of it though. Like 3 or 4 bucks at autozone.

To change the valve only there are no screws that you have to undo. The screws might be needed to change the pipe itself! I will check on mine tommorrow to see exactly what screws you are referring to. Just squeeze the clip together and then pull up on the pipe slowly( the end going into the valve cover not the other end!). (I hope your looking at the correct pipe!) Then remove the egr valve at the base of it. It may not come out of the valve cover so just pull it out carefully. Or it may come out and remain in the pipe. Just pull it out, Its a tiny plastic piece!

If you hear the noise coming from the top of the engine then it could possibly be the egr pipe on top. Its only about a foot long or so (L shape). I don't believe thats the part Lexus quoted you a price of though! That one you most likely can change on your own. They were referring to another pipe that you can't see from above. (I hope for the price they quoted u of 230) I would start with the upper pipe first. Change that pipe and egr valve and see what happens. If I was you I would try to have Lexus pin point out to you exactly which pipe has the hole so you don't go changing pipes that are perfectly fine. I don't want you to spend money for nothing and I am sure you would agree!

Dj, do you feel the car has a drag or loss of power to it?
You might just have a air line/hose vacuum leak somewhere in that area. But if there is in deed a crackling sound it has to be either the upper or lower pipe! I am starting to think its the lower pipe that has the problem!!!!!
Old 05-27-02, 03:41 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Default correction

I think its metal not plastic!!!! Been a while since I changed mine. I will look for you tomm to see what mine is.

Quick Reply: 1995 LS400 rear upper brake light HELPPP