LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just bought 95 LS what services are recommended

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 11:17 PM
ck90211
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought 95 LS what services are recommended

Just purchased a 95 LS w/150K miles (dark green) from original owner in SoCal, $3500, not great, but reasonable. This is to be a daily driver for my college-age son, so safety and reliability are main concerns, thus LS400. Exterior still looks great. Inside everything works except stereo LCD backlight out, and driver/back seats ripped (dried leather).

Underhood everything looks in order, except owner mentioned of PS leaks previously (thus rebuilt alternator) and bad support struts. Car started easily but had a high pitch sound (valve noise? timing belt? no idea) but went away once warmed up/driving. Any ideas why?

Owner offered to let me use his company mechanic (he owns a metal shop) to do whatever mechanical services I like, and just pay for parts and some nominal labor (offered to do timing belts, pumps and front/rear brakes for $150 labor). So I like to solicit your opinion on what should be done on a 150K LS400 just so it will run well for another 4-5 years and 50K miles, more the better of course. In addition to timing belts and water pumps, what else are deemed important (PS pumps? starter? engine or transmission mounts? etc.)?

By the way, is it a OK to use a non Lexus mechanic (the shop mechanic specialty are diesel but also works on various imports). He has worked on this LS400 before. And is it OK to use parts from Autozone (brake pads, water pumps, timing belt kits, etc.) or should I go with Lexus OEM? Previous owner has commercial account with Autozone so he can get parts cheap, but since I might be getting labor cheap I am willing to splurge more for OEM parts, if it makes big differences.

For those interested in newer LS400 I test drove a 98 with also 150K miles & Nav, etc. (asking for $5900) in great mechanical shape (great VVTi engine and 5 speed tranny) but peeling black paint (gel coat in spots are delaminated). Best price I can find but decided to spend $2K less since I find this 95 to be a solid runner too (and don't need the extra 40hp and gear for a youngster's first car). Anyhow if interested I can send you seller's info.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-16-10, 11:24 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you dont know when the timing belt was changed, do that first and ASAP since the 1995 is an intereference engine. $150 would be a bargain... jump on that deal!

Starter replacement is a HUGE deal on these cars as the intake has to come off (its under the intake on these cars). Many places will charge $500-$1500 to replace it.

Tranny mounts are cheap and easy... motor mounts are more involved and more $. Its good though you have a mechanic at hand there to do cheaper labor.

Good luck with the car and enjoy it.
Old 01-16-10, 11:40 PM
ck90211
Driver

Thanks. Timing belts were replaced at 90K (60K ago), but with cheap labor WHY NOT. Thanks for tips on starter, will add that on list. Guess with engine internal components I best go with OEM, or aftermarket good enough?

Why do LS need engine/transmission mount changes? I am coming from Previa, Camry and Prius and never had to change those things yet.
Old 01-17-10, 12:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the LS is a heavy rwd car, with luxury as a priority (so softer bushings in mounts).

for ALL of the timing belt and/or starter stuff, i would say stick to OEM parts. you're getting cheap labor ONCE/right NOW, but later on its easily $800-1500 for both of those, so you dont want them to fail after 6months...

timing belt/wp for sure since the labor's **** cheap, then plugs, distributor caps/rotors, fuel filter, air conditioning filter, engine air filter, drain and fill trans fluid (use ONLY Toyota T-IV transmission fluid, NO DEXRON/MERCON trans fluid), flush the PS system (HERE, you use dexron/mercon TRANSMISSION fluid, do NOT use Power Steering fluid, yes, it's a bit backwards than what you'd think). give the pads/rotors a once over to make sure there's some decent meat left on them and you'll be good for a couple years.
Old 01-17-10, 03:15 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to change the struts you might as well change the suspension bushings, and maybe strut mounts if they haven't already since that area is going to be tended to.
Old 01-17-10, 05:56 PM
ck90211
Driver

Does changing struts/mounts/bushing help improve bump absorption, ride, handling, or what? And should I do front only or both? And any brand recommendations between OEM, KYB, Bilstein or others? Thanks.
Old 01-18-10, 12:32 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Yes changing those items will improve all of those areas if worn, and also can improve road noise. The strut mount is supposed to help insulate from road noise and if it's worn it is not doing the job. Since the car is for you son, if he plans on lowering the car some time soon you should hold off on the struts, springs, and strut mounts since most of the coilovers available address all of those items together. Btw how old is your son? It's cool that you're getting him such a great first car.
Old 01-18-10, 01:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

do front and rear at the same time, OEM spec is KYB. Bilstein is slightly stiffer.
changing worn out oem struts will give the car a much more controllable characteristic at the limits of handling but in everyday driving will just improve the ride.

i'm a college-aged son!
Old 01-18-10, 05:17 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's a hell of a good deal you got. if you want to make a quick$2000, bring that car out here and sell it for $5500. that's the low end of what the year and mileage brings locally.
i would definitely do the tming belt and water pump. take advantage of the cheap labor!
Old 01-18-10, 10:43 AM
ck90211
Driver

My son is 18. Had resisted driving (can't blame him we are in west LA) but goes to college and runs his own web biz so can't cover all his basis on a bus pass. The car is half his money, other half mine, in a deal we made so he doesn't have to settle for $300 junk, and I am not worrying about him in an econobox. Chose the LS400 (one owner) because it meets his wishes (plush ride, reliability, looking good, low upkeep costs) and my (safety).

No plan to drop; but he likes plush rides (so we might go for the suspension updates), and the original chrome wheels are still looking good. If anything he may go for some white LED's to freshen up the inside, and get rid of the factory stereo (bad backlight, no iPod connectivity and can't play MP3 CD's) for something else.

Must admit looking at various LS400 with him almost make me want to buy another one. I definitely think 98-00 is the best look, horsepower and smoothness, and economical (much cheaper than LS430 and yet still offer the same refinements). Might just buy that loaded 98 (with 150K miles) for $5.5K. Most people fear cars at 150K miles but since I still have a Toyota Previa going strong at 140K (and many other Previa owners I see in LA racking up 300K+ on theirs), and knowing LS's are built even better than that, I am confident of getting another 100-150K miles from them. Only thing I dislike is timing belt (I think Toyota had better idea using chain in Previa, Landcruiser) but I too will learn to live with it.
Old 01-18-10, 11:09 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

THere is a ls400 for sale on craigslist here local that has 396k on it and it still looks really good lol. I wouldnt buy it but its amazing if take care of how long these cars last.
Old 01-18-10, 12:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by ck90211
My son is 18. Had resisted driving (can't blame him we are in west LA) but goes to college and runs his own web biz so can't cover all his basis on a bus pass. The car is half his money, other half mine, in a deal we made so he doesn't have to settle for $300 junk, and I am not worrying about him in an econobox. Chose the LS400 (one owner) because it meets his wishes (plush ride, reliability, looking good, low upkeep costs) and my (safety).

No plan to drop; but he likes plush rides (so we might go for the suspension updates), and the original chrome wheels are still looking good. If anything he may go for some white LED's to freshen up the inside, and get rid of the factory stereo (bad backlight, no iPod connectivity and can't play MP3 CD's) for something else.

Must admit looking at various LS400 with him almost make me want to buy another one. I definitely think 98-00 is the best look, horsepower and smoothness, and economical (much cheaper than LS430 and yet still offer the same refinements). Might just buy that loaded 98 (with 150K miles) for $5.5K. Most people fear cars at 150K miles but since I still have a Toyota Previa going strong at 140K (and many other Previa owners I see in LA racking up 300K+ on theirs), and knowing LS's are built even better than that, I am confident of getting another 100-150K miles from them. Only thing I dislike is timing belt (I think Toyota had better idea using chain in Previa, Landcruiser) but I too will learn to live with it.
higher mileage cars, especially LS', are only worth it if they have full service histories, otherwise they can easily become money pits.
Old 01-18-10, 01:16 PM
ck90211
Driver

396K and owner is selling? That's almost like selling one's dog after a lifetime of companionship and services, and before you put it asleep. Better off just donating to some charity or give it to a needy family (such as the guy on this site who just sold his LS to help his sister(s) out)).

Back to the topic, why are engine/transmission mounts need changing? Do they lose damping eventually? Cracking? Thanks.
Old 01-19-10, 01:10 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah exactly. Most people will agree with this, if something is not perfect with the LS it will stick out like a sore thumb. The only reason it may seem so bad is because of the superior refinement and smoothness of the LS, and the lack of noise and vibration. Bad motor/tranny mounts will give you a vibration mostly on the freeway(afaik) just bad enough to irk you. LS drivers are so spoiled . Lastly you should scoop up that 98 if everything checks out ok, you won't regret it!
Old 01-19-10, 10:27 AM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I have new NGK spark plug wires for your car if you need them for a tuneup.

Quick Reply: Just bought 95 LS what services are recommended